• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[MCU] Rumor Thread: It was the dawning of the 4th Phase [Contains Endgame Spoilers]

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
Disney's current deal is 5% of the gross. I suspect this is because Disney didn't want to run into Hollywood accounting where, gosh, that billion dollar movie just wasn't able to turn a profit. It's unclear how much of the production costs Disney paid to make the movies, but it was clearly less than 50%, since their offer was to split production costs 50/50 and then split the take 50/50. That would almost certainly have to be gross again.

If the movie makes $1 billion gross, but it cost $300 million to make and advertise, split between Disney and Sony evenly, that would leave a net of $700 million.

If they split the gross, each studio gets $500 million and they spent $150 million, so they each profit $350 million.

If they split the net, each studio would get $350 million, and they spent $150 million, so they each profit $200 million and also there's $300 million unaccounted for.

Even splitting the gross is a huge difference from the previous deal, where even if Sony paid the full amount of production and marketing, the billion dollar movie with a $300 million budget would give Sony $650 million profit and Disney $50 million.

Interestingly, the numbers I pulled out of my ass here, if Disney put up 50% of the production and marketing cost, but got 20%, the profit for each studio would work out to $650 million for Sony and $50 million for Disney--the same as if Disney put up no money but got 5%. Which is a meaningless coincidence, but ultimately I think what will happen is both studios will go back to the table and they'll try to find a sweet spot where Disney assumes more of the risk, gets more of the reward, and maybe gets access to some more characters, because they have the actual numbers and they can tinker with them until they get something they can both live with.

Heck, if Disney ends up basically the same financially, but they can use more Spider-Man characters in MCU movies, they might consider that a win.
Your math is off. Distributors take half the box, so that 1 billion becomes 500 million. Split between the studios is then 250/250, for a profit of 100 million each.

edit: also, for the record, Spider-Verse made 376 million on 90 mil (budgeted, w/M&A probably 135), so 376/2=188 less 135 for a profit of 53 million.

csyphrett

Validated User
Your math is off. Distributors take half the box, so that 1 billion becomes 500 million. Split between the studios is then 250/250, for a profit of 100 million each.

edit: also, for the record, Spider-Verse made 376 million on 90 mil (budgeted, w/M&A probably 135), so 376/2=188 less 135 for a profit of 53 million.
Didn't Sony distribute the movie? That means that part of the company got 500 mil, and then the studio got another 100 mil on top of that
CES

Blizzardborn

Hiding in a snowdrift
Validated User
Now you're getting into Hollywood Accounting[sup]TM[/sup], where logic and reason disappear. But it looks like Sony did what most studios do, and contracted out various regions for the distribution.

Menocchio

Eccentric Thousandaire
Validated User
She-Hulk. Hell yes. I’ve been a skeptic before, but they’re obviously done with Hulk as Rage Monster so the time is right.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
WandaVision is shaping up to be so bizarre and so uniquely intriguing. Randall Park AND Darcy in a bizarre sitcommy Marvel show??????

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
WandaVision is shaping up to be so bizarre and so uniquely intriguing. Randall Park AND Darcy in a bizarre sitcommy Marvel show??????
It always seemed to me to be some delusion conjured by a distraught Wanda. Like she's so lost in her grief that she Pleasantville's the thing and conjures up this happy 50's family sitcom. Also, really happy to hear Darcy is coming back. Bonus bet: Darcy is an undercover SHIELD agent assigned to watch over Wanda and gets sucked into this delusion.

CarpeGuitarrem

Blogger and gamer
Validated User
Might be that, or maybe they're gunning for "alternate universe". Or maybe this is Wanda actually building into reality-warping powers and creating herself a pocket universe?

Top Bottom