• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[MCU] Spider-man: Far from home (I has seen it) (Spoilers)

Grymm the Pleasant

Validated User
In an interesting quirk (especially given the release of Spider-man: Homecoming coming out something like 2 months late), China got spider-man about a week earlier than much of the world. So I have seen it. Spoilers in later posts (and I will answer questions if asked), but the short non-spoiler review is that it was another solid MCU movie, I feel in the upper half at least, but I don't like trying to rank them, especially after just watching them.

Grymm the Pleasant

Validated User
Ok, getting more into spoiler territory

First, the time period between the Infinity war and endgame is now known as the blip. It is addressed appropriately. Notably, one of the class members wasn't blipped. And some references to other events (one of the teacher's wives ran away during the snap). Interesting footage of the snap and return from non-superhero perspective.

Nice, appropriately cheesy tribute (because it is made in world by high school students) to fallen avengers. In particular, calls out Captain America, Iron Man, and Black Widow... more of a memorial than endgame)

Both trailers are quite misleading, in the good marvel way. At least in the Chinese release, and I will assume elsewhere, the fight in the ballroom never happens. It would screw up pacing. Mysterio is appropriately a liar, and has a heavy villain monologue half way through (exposition dump but it works well). I could see it messing with people who don't know the character, but in a good way. He is tied in nicely with the MCU themes and history.

The two credit scenes are interesting because they are both relatively substantial, and have big implications going forwards (and possibly backwards). Midcredits for spider-man, post credits for everything else. I loved the J.K. Simmons cameo (he is back!) in the midcredit, and it is a nice update of the idea of the bugle.

Varyar

Emilie Dequenne Fanboy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Can you elaborate on the credits scenes, please and thank you?

Grymm the Pleasant

Validated User
These were probably the most important and interesting scenes since Iron Man 1. Definitely worth watching. But they are big enough that they might change how you view the movie.
Spoiler: Show

Mid-credits: Mysterio sends a hugely edited message to the world that Spider man was responsible for the destruction in the world (not Mysterio), through the controversial rabble rousing outlet of the daily bugle (J. Jonah Jameson is an alt-right type talking head referring to the menace of spider-man). Which ends with Mysterio outing Spider-man as well.

Post credits: Fury in the movie is Telos, Maria Hill is Telos's wife. True Fury is on the Skrull ship on vacation.

Fabius Maximus

Validated User
Becaue I can't resist the spoilers... What was the Snap and return like on screen? Did they refer to it just in past tense or did we get some scenes as it was happening?

Grymm the Pleasant

Validated User
It was mostly near the start. The term apparently for it now is, as I said, "The Blip", and people were "blipped". There was an in-school highschool morning show, which is where the tribute was but also most of the discussion of the blip (really good place for an exposition dump, since the purpose of those are effectively exposition for the school anyways). The main filmed scene was a marching band playing in the gym during the snap, then returning during a basketball game, causing chaos (they appeared where they were)... I think there was a shot or 2 of something showing things during the blip as well. Remy Hii's character is used as a person who was young before (so picture of him 6 years ago and now), and how the classes are mixed now. The other thing mentioned that even though it was late in the term, they need to retake the whole term and how unfair that is.

Matchstick

Validated User
*Major spoilers* in this post if anyone is browsing this thread before they see the movie (don't do that!).

You have been warned.

This was a ton of fun. No complaints really.

They are definitely going the comic book universe route with the Endgame fallout, in that life appears to just pretty much be going on as normal five years later. They make some nods to how people are dealing with things (a younger sibling is now an older sibling, people now living in your former apartment when you blip back), but nothing life-changing.

Favorite sequence was the full-on Mysterio illusion attack on Spider-Man. That was gorgeous and thrilling.

Most emotional scene was Peter with Happy coming to terms with the idea that he'll never replace Tony and then building a new suit to Tony's theme music.

This is the spoiler thread, but I will put in a warning for the post-credits scenes, because they're both huge ones!

***Post-Credit Spoilers***

1) J. Jonah Jameson played by J.K. Simmons! And revealing Peter's identity to the world. I mean, holy shit what a debut for MCU JJJ!

2) I think the second credit scene was an even bigger reveal. Fury is somewhere on a space station (I think) working with a faction of Skrulls, while Talos and his wife, Soren, have been masquerading as Fury and Maria Hill the entire movie.

This does raise a question. Was that Fury and Hill who were snapped away at the end of Infinity War or was that Talos and Soren, meaning Fury and Hill were alive during that five years and working with the Skrulls?

Last edited:

Kuildeous

Validated User
I haven't read anything in this thread. I will not read anything else in this thread until I've seen the movie for myself. But if people could quote this post so I can visit it from the alert, I'd appreciate it. Edit: Finally watched it. Thanks for the warning. It saved my wife.

Spider-Man movies have a varying amount of spiders on screen, and I have a severe arachnophobe. Are there spiders on the screen? Usually that's a problem only with the origin stories, though I think I recall the one with Electro having a lot of spider time. My wife did watch Homecoming, and I don't remember that being a problem. Or if it was, it was easily forgotten.

The kill mode doesn't please her, but she's dealt with that in Endgame already.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Last edited:
Top Bottom