• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[MCU] Spider-man: Far from home (I has seen it) (Spoilers)

Danger Mouse

Social Justice Mouse
Validated User
I haven't seen anyone else mention Peter's suitcase. It had B.F.P. on the front/top of it.
Yeah. I understand why the studio decided the audience didn't need to see Peter's origin story yet again, but it's nice that they throw in nods to Uncle Ben. Similarly, while no one in either movie has said "With great power comes great responsibility", it's still a clear thematic through-line in both movies.

Last edited:

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Isn't that a throughline in literally every single superhero movie, especially the origin ones?
Not all of them? Stark's narratives are often more "I need to clean up my own messes." Thor's stuff is mostly a responsibility for Asgard stuff, either protecting it or protecting people from it, because he has responsibilities there. Rogers is closest, but even he seems to mostly be doing stuff either where he was sent by someone, or where people he cares about are directly involved.

Peter spends his time trying to fix stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with him other than that he knows about it and might be able to do something about it.

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Banned
Validated User
Fury is somewhere on a space station (I think)
I think it's the Kree cruiser from Captain Marvel.
On the day of the trial, attorney Matt Murdock(Charlie Cox) enters the courtroom (Stark Industries hired him to represent Peter)
Loved how "Mysterio" was a team effort.
After the reveal, I definitely got the impression that Talos had not spent much time with modern-day Fury and was just playing him based on his reputation or a quick description from Fury on what he was like now.
Yeah. Samuel L Jackson's performance has been very consistent through the movies, so it being off in this one implies the replacement is very recent. (And like you, I was thinking there was something off all the way through the film, though I was partially putting it down to the clueless adult element of teen films).
Some folks are saying Fury was a Skrull back in Age of Ultron based on how he cut his toast diagonally...
I just rewatched the scene, and it looks square cut to me.
Also, well done, movie, for making us sympathise with Flash Thompson just a bit at the end. They kept him as a jerkass, but not so much that his apparent disappointment at his parents not being there to meet him wasn't pathos-ful.
There's a moment on the bus where you see him texting his mother about how he hasn't heard from her. Indeed:
Oh hey, and another thing. When Peter realized EDITH lets him read people's texts, he considers spying at what MJ is doing... and doesn't. Because that's what heroes do.
... I got the impression it was that as much as Don't spy on MJ that got Peter to stop looking at people's texts. I wonder if they're aiming to make him more sympathetic in the next film. (I do wonder how he'll react to the reveal).
Mysterio was excellent. I really liked that he genuinely used the team- he was clearly unstable, but they didn't got for the cliched moment where he kills off his own henchmen.
I also like that plan A was to get Peter to walk away. He's willing to kill a 16 year old, but would prefer not to, and is careful to blame one of his minions for it.
I think kids today will sympathize more to dealing with being doxxed than someone who stays in the closet.
This is true. Although it does occur to me that with Talos and Soren in the mix, they have the perfect way to "prove" that Peter isn't Spider-Man.
One of the things I loved about MJ is that she did figure out that Peter is Spider-Man. It was completely consistent with her character, as well as emphasizing that Peter really isn't good with this whole "secret identity" thing.
I do like that that she admitted to only being 67% sure, and her squeesmile as she realises she's right.
I really, really hope not, because if so that was a really poor use of her talents. IMDB lists the actor as Toni Garrn, and credits her as 'The Seamstress'.
I could easily see Nick Fury, or SHIELD, having a supersuit maker on call.

I liked the tribute talking about "moving into a new phase."

I liked Mysterio as a villain, though I'd my fill of villains who came about because Tony Stark pissed them off. I wish they'd worked out another source for Team Mysterios's tech, and not bothered with EDITH (and had his plan in Prague just be to get Peter to leave). Peter can have Iron Man angst without the drone army, which in the next film, he'll now have on call whenever he wants.

LoneWolf23

Validated User
Loved how "Mysterio" was a team effort.
The best thing about this is that, even if Quentin Beck died (still not 100% convinced he's really dead), this means that the team can "resurrect" Mysterio with a new guy taking up the mantle. Maybe a lookalike, or maybe a new guy who says he's Quentin Beck reincarnated, or a Quentin Beck from a different Timeline...

With that tech? Anyone can be Mysterio.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
Short of a Spider-Man with the Sinister Six, I don't see Mysterio returning. He wasn't that compelling of a villain, even if he had more moments and development than a lot of other Marvel antagonists. And even if there is a movie with the Six, Mysterio would be awkward to push back in in light of either a) needing to devote time to explaining why he's not dead, or b) just having him show back up with no explanation as to why he's not dead, which would be immensely dissatisfying. Also, Marvel has a tendency to use big name actors for antagonists - Keaton and Gillenhal, for example - and even a couple more big name actors as villains would make for a rather expensive Spider-Man movie.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
So, something that came to mind as I was talking about the movie with my sister.

Peter doesn’t know about the rest of the team. He has no idea Beck had help. As far as he’s aware, Mysterio was one guy.

Which produces a lot of interesting angles if you wanted to revisit the character, especially as Peter is starting to build up a bit of his own crew.

petros

Validated User
Short of a Spider-Man with the Sinister Six, I don't see Mysterio returning. He wasn't that compelling of a villain, even if he had more moments and development than a lot of other Marvel antagonists. And even if there is a movie with the Six, Mysterio would be awkward to push back in in light of either a) needing to devote time to explaining why he's not dead, or b) just having him show back up with no explanation as to why he's not dead, which would be immensely dissatisfying. Also, Marvel has a tendency to use big name actors for antagonists - Keaton and Gillenhal, for example - and even a couple more big name actors as villains would make for a rather expensive Spider-Man movie.
The Sinister Six film would be sold as all big name villains, it could only happen if the big names involved wanted it at the same time. What we saw of the inside of Toomes' operation and Beck's troupe could be a template for how the Sinister Six plan their heists. If Otto Octavius and the rest are played by big names, an 'Oceans 11' type big name only heist film could fit the Sinister Six perfectly.

DarkStarling

Brilliantly Crazed
Validated User
Okay so I finally saw this. And I loved it! Some thoughts.

I love how Mysterio is a team, and it looks like Mysterio is going to keep going even if Beck is dead. He was from the Multiverse anyway, they have a perfect way to 'resurrect' Mysterio if they don't want to do the comic book Back From The Dead thing. Though they might.

Which, by the way, officially makes Spider Man the only one in the MCU with an actual rogues gallery. I'm glad they aren't just killing off all the good villains in these films.

Also, it gave me so much more appreciation for the end credits than usual. I mean I know how many people work on these movies but... it's just so darn meta. Some with his motion capture suit.

I really appreciate how, even when Peter was fooled by the illusions (and MAN is Mysterio's writer for horrifying visions good by the way) and was completely lost, it was obvious that the choreographers knew what was actually happening.

Oh, and Loki could totally take lessons from Mysterio on use of illusion.

I knew Mysterio was a villain, but the whole reveal in the bar where the whole crowd just evaporates? Perfect. I thought it was a bit odd at first that no one was reacting to two in-costume superheroes in the bar but wrote it off as 'it's the MCU, they're used to this'... but no. Foreshadowing!

Also that Beck appreciates his team and takes the time to personally congratulate their contributions. He may be a right bastard, but he DOES get people.

His team. They got Not Tony Stark back! And they were all just really good at their roles. You got the sense of camaraderie even with so little screen time.

The whole origin with the Elementals was so completely plausible for the MCU and their unique flavor of space magic that, while I assumed Beck was controlling them or working with them or something, I didn't really question if the things were real themselves. Similarly, the multiverse origin plays so well with Into The Spiderverse and Agents of Shield that I had no idea whether to rule it out or not.

My only real complaint was that the credit scenes really felt like they should have been part of the movie. They weren't just gags, they were important plot points.

Well, that and how we didn't get the suit AI back. Karen was really great. I hope she's off being heroic in cyberspace somewhere.

The whole thing with MJ figuring out who he is, and his hilariously bad attempts to cover it up, and just the general teenage shenanigans of the trip. Loved all of it. Even, or especially, the hilariously awkward yet heartfelt memorial.

Spiderman being doxxed at the end was definitely modern and topical. I hope they give it solid followup.

I really loved the scene with Peter really honing in on his Spider Sense to fight his way through the drones and illusions at the end.

Just all the character interactions really. I already mentioned Peter and MJ, but there's so much else to love. Like, oh, Mr Smug 'She Deserves To Know' Nice Guy himself. Talk about a face needing a fist. That MJ just flat refused to buy it even before she knew the truth and smacks him down in front of everyone was so satisfying.

And then there's just Happy. He grew on me so much in this film. Where he's obviously so proud of Peter, despite being really brusque before.

And Back In Black for Peter designing a new spider suit. It's not exactly In A Cave, With A Box Of Scraps, but it's still epic.

Grumpygoat

Validated User
I love how Mysterio is a team, and it looks like Mysterio is going to keep going even if Beck is dead. He was from the Multiverse anyway, they have a perfect way to 'resurrect' Mysterio if they don't want to do the comic book Back From The Dead thing. Though they might.
Mysterio isn't from the multiverse. He's from the same timeline as movie Stark, Parker, and so on. The line about the multiverse was bullshit.

Top Bottom