• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[ME] [Rumour] Raw raw, fight the power!

Nerik the Red

Validated User
Ok, while randomly brousing, I found this youtube vid:
[video=youtube_share;RkNHYnqHT3c]https://youtu.be/RkNHYnqHT3c?t=89[/video]
I've (hopefully) set it to start at the relevant bit
Ok, maybe not, relevant bit starts at 1:27

Can anyone confirm this rumour?

Spoiler: Show
The original ending for the Mass Effect series included the fact that organic life with biotics could unleash a 'Dark Energy' that could 'hasten the end of the universe'.:eek:

That doesn't necessarily make the Reapers the Good Guys though.;)

Last edited:

Inyssius

thermonuclear catsplosion
Validated User
Spoiler: Show
The original ending for the Mass Effect series included the fact that organic life with biotics could unleash a 'Dark Energy' that could 'hasten the end of the universe'.:eek:
It was one of the ideas they were toying with in early Mass Effect 2 development. That's what the plot on Tali's recruitment planet would have been about, with the sun that was mysteriously burning out too fast.

I'd hardly call it "the original ending" -- just an early idea that one of the writers proposed.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Yeah. And the sad part is that even if I find that to be a needlessly and ridiculously grimdark ending (mankind must be eradicated to save the universe!), it'd still be better than what we got.

Metaphysician

Validated User
I imagine part of the reason it got dropped was because it didn't really make sense with what the Reapers were doing. If their goal was to prolong the lifespan of the universe, they shouldn't really be allowing ( and indeed, encouraging ) tens of thousands of years of galactic civilization using mass effect technology. They should either be wiping civilization a *lot* more often, or they should be trying to funnel civilization into a non-eezo based path.

( Personally, I interpreted that quest in ME2 as suggesting that the heroes would figure out a way to blow up stars deliberately, and have that available as a weapon to fight the Reapers. Of course, you'd better be willing to sacrifice whatever is in the same star system as the Reaper fleet your blowing up. . . )

dmakovec

Validated User
It had just as much chance to turn into a completely ass ending (though probably not quite as ass as the original) through development. It's mostly a fancy "what if?" scenario.

Sjogre

Validated User
If it turned out less ass, that was only because they had more time to deal with it. I don't think that it even worked with ME2, when you get down to it. Given that the second game gave the Reapers the motivation of reproduction,* I'm pretty sure that the dark energy plotline was abandoned partway through writing the second game.

*Which didn't make a lot of sense, either, but whatever.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
I imagine part of the reason it got dropped was because it didn't really make sense with what the Reapers were doing. If their goal was to prolong the lifespan of the universe, they shouldn't really be allowing ( and indeed, encouraging ) tens of thousands of years of galactic civilization using mass effect technology. They should either be wiping civilization a *lot* more often, or they should be trying to funnel civilization into a non-eezo based path.

( Personally, I interpreted that quest in ME2 as suggesting that the heroes would figure out a way to blow up stars deliberately, and have that available as a weapon to fight the Reapers. Of course, you'd better be willing to sacrifice whatever is in the same star system as the Reaper fleet your blowing up. . . )
Slight problem with that: the Reapers haven't been able to figure out the problem so far, so they keep adding more of themselves, and these new Reapers are the cream of each cycle's crop, hence the name, and that human Reaper you blow the hell out of at the end of ME2.

(I used the Cain. My Shepard found that life had a certain zest when you were walking around with something that results in mushroom clouds when you pulled the trigger strapped to your back).

If the Reapers came around too often most species wouldn't be developed enough to be worth adding them to the Reaper collective to help solve the problem.

That said, a thought I'd had in the past (possibly others have as well) if the Protheans hadn't messed up the Citadel and the Keepers, the Reapers might have shown up a while before humanity fully developed. If it'd been early enough it's possible that humanity might have been missed in the current cycle and then had 50,000 years to develop before the next time the Reapers came around...but then we don't get to have Liara as a love interest. Perhaps she could have been frozen like Javik and then could have been used to rebuild the Asari...

Top Bottom