• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mearls and first edition D&D.

Ujio

Seer of the Throne
Can't people still play D&D as it used to be or something similar and be happy?

jimbojones1971

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mearls is just a frustrated dm like the rest of us. He still plays 1e in his home group cuz he's never been able to convince them to change to a newer system. They are grognards after all, but mearls is always looking for a way to get them, so what does he do? He decides to become president of Dnd and design a game product that is so dripping of the old school feel, he even packages it in a Red Box (capitalized) that he is sure he will finally convince his players to agree to switching to 4e.

I do this crap all the time trying to challenge my players comfortable assumptions, its just a difference of SCALE.
I like this theory, and fully endorse it :)

jimbojones1971

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Can't people still play D&D as it used to be or something similar and be happy?
Yeah, I went back and played 2E recently and had a blast. Made me glad that I hung on to my ENORMOUS collection of books, I have to say :D

Now I am just looking forward to introducing my daughter to D&D via all the old 2E stuff that my wife and I still own.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
"Older versions of D&D were more esoteric and mysterious. I'd like to see that incorporated into 4e without it losing its ease of play and organization."

Especially the art! Some of it was cheesey but some of it got your creative juices going!
My gateway into D&D was the coloring book.

http://monsterbrains.blogspot.com/2009/05/dungeons-and-dragons-coloring-book-1979.html

The illustrations were a window into this really neat world, and there was a simple game in the center of the coloring book to give me a sample of gaming.

I moved on to Basic and AD&D, but never forgot that book.

Gateway games, like CCG, the Mini game, the new Ravenloft board game, all can give people a taste of D&D and then they may seek out more, if they like that.

Ratman_tf

W.A.R.P.
Validated User
Wow. Next time you look at one of these, just remember that literally millions of people enjoyed these versions of the game for close to 20 years. There is something in there that is worth knowing about.
On my vacation, I was on the edge of DMing first edition. My bro scored copies of the core books on ebay. I had all my house rules on the tip of my tongue, and had a short campaign brainstormed off the cuff. We wound up playing Descent instead, but next time I go visiting, I'm DMing 1st edition! :D

I am going to be playing some 4th this weekend. I'm not an angry grognad, just a nostalgic one. :)

One thing I am very interested in is the mini aspect. I've never used minis for RPGs. (plenty of war and boardgames though)

TRM

Infrequent Poster
Validated User
Wow. Next time you look at one of these, just remember that literally millions of people enjoyed these versions of the game for close to 20 years. There is something in there that is worth knowing about.
There are all kinds of things that millions of people enjoy that I don't. There are also things that I and millions of other people enjoy that other people don't. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

D&D was a great idea, and Basic moved that idea in the right direction, but for me it didn't quite make it. AD&D went (for me) in the wrong direction.

There isn't anything I think is worth keeping in the AD&D rulesets that wasn't already present pre-AD&D, or has since been better implemented elsewhere.

simontmn

Validated User
Things I'd like:

1. Published adventures that are not string-of-encounters.

2. More emphasis on exploration. Fallcrest in the DMG is rather good (though Kobold Hall is not, due to being totally linear). Discussion of how random elements can be used usefully.

3. Support for dominon acquisition, rulership & mass combat, probably at the Paragon level primarily (11-20). Keep it simple, like the Mentzer Companion Set rules, designed to integrate with rather than replace traditional adventuring, and with appropriate XP awards - winning a battle might give encounter XP, forming an alliance or incorporating a new domain might give major quest XP.

jacobkosh

Validated User
No, it's not a narrativist game, i.e. where the point of play is to make a statement with the explicit world-building and storycrafting.

Abstract powers are lazy genre emulation. They're calculated to be bland and generic so as to minimize the chance of offending anyone, and assume that anybody who cares to justify them more concretely will put forth the effort to do that.

Which people do, faithfully. And pat themselves on the back because they think they're playing narrativist.
Wow. Edgy.

Caduceus

Not the rod of Asclepius
Validated User
This is a happy thread! Let's keep it that way.

Some more ideas:

This one isn't going to happen, but it would be cool if magic items were seriously scaled back. Like if a+ 3 sword was a HUGE deal. Also, better support for just using whatever implement or weapon one happens to find without worrying about what feats you have taken. This is possible with that new feat in essentials for weapons that gives the bonus to all weapon attacks. I want to see more feats like that.

saga

SRS BSNS
This is a horrible interview.

Absolutely, positively, abysmally horrid.

I would be embarrassed to post this garbage.

Top Bottom