• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mearls and first edition D&D.

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
That article is such a piece of crap, that I don't take anything it says seriously. I believe Mearls discussed playing 1st edition on the D&D podcast last month. It was a lunchtime game, not "his current campaign."
He's been running original D&D for a long while in a campaign. In fact, there was a thread on here attempting to incite panic and hatred of 4E (Gee. What a surprise.) over the fact that Mearls was running that campaign as it clearly indicated he didn't understand modern game design, i.e. 3.x/Pathfinder, and couldn't be trusted.

No. I am not kidding.

randalls

Validated User
  • Spell components were fun. A pain to keep track of, but always gave it the feel of real magic. Keeping bat guano moist or a cricket alive was quite an ordeal.
  • The feel of magic being special would be nice to bring back. When someone cast a spell, it used to be a big freaking deal. Monsters would freak out, people would be in awe. Now spells can be cast at will, it just seems to take the coolness out of magic.
  • Most importantly, I sure would like combat to speed back up. :D
  • Random tables are fun.
  • Dice that come with crayons (just for fun)
  • Greyhawk.
A definite YES on the combat speed up. You'd need an alternative combat system that did not rely on minis or battlemats (although they could still be used if the players/GM wanted) and was VERY fast compared to 3.x/4e. Combats in pre-powers & skills D&D averaged 10 minutes or so. It's hard to do old school style campaigns where an encounter with a wandering monster or 5 orcs takes 45 minutes or more for most play groups.

This would also allow the return of classes than were not best at combat but would best at out-of-combat activities. When combat takes forever, it is boring for most to play a class that is just okay at combat (when others are great). When combat is quick this is much less of as problem, especially for people who don't find combat encounters the most interesting/exciting part of the game.

That Other Guy

Validated User
He's been running original D&D for a long while in a campaign. In fact, there was a thread on here attempting to incite panic and hatred of 4E (Gee. What a surprise.) over the fact that Mearls was running that campaign as it clearly indicated he didn't understand modern game design, i.e. 3.x/Pathfinder, and couldn't be trusted.

No. I am not kidding.
Citation Needed (Because I'm morbidly curious...)

As for going back to older mechanics, nothing would turn me off faster. I loathed many of the older conceits, tropes and mechanics in older editions - I would rather see them push forward and try newer things. However, if you like older games, that's fine.

Your Fun Is OK, It's Just Not My Fun.

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User

As for going back to older mechanics, nothing would turn me off faster. I loathed many of the older conceits, tropes and mechanics in older editions - I would rather see them push forward and try newer things. However, if you like older games, that's fine.

The thread was around two years ago. I may not be able to locate it at this point, but hopefully someone will have it somewhere. I will look in the meantime.

OldKentuckyShark

Doritos from Japan
Validated User

HEre you go. I think that was the thread that finally put Polaris on my IL.

Incidentally, if you ever want to search for anything on this forum (except for TO and the PBP threads), go to google and type in site:rpg.net, followed by some search terms.

That Other Guy

Validated User
HEre you go. I think that was the thread that finally put Polaris on my IL.

Incidentally, if you ever want to search for anything on this forum (except for TO and the PBP threads), go to google and type in site:rpg.net, followed by some search terms.
Yes, but that would require me remembering that could do basic Boolean searches. Silly person for think I have common sense ;)

Cheers for the link :D

hackmastergeneral

Pope of Chili Town
Validated User
I am now waiting with baited breath for someone to necro the thread, quoting a point Polaris made, and restarting the whole argument anew.

Cause it's gonna happen.

One does not simply threadlink into Mordor.

Lizard

Global Village Grouch
Validated User
Older versions of D&D were more esoteric and mysterious. I'd like to see that incorporated into 4e without it losing its ease of play and organization.
By "esoteric and mysterious", you mean "poorly edited and playtested", right?

Ashrem Bayle

Retired User
Actually, it makes perfect sense that he'd be running a 1st edition game.

If WotC is making a push to get older players back, it would make sense to play the game the older players loved and see what, if anything, might be desirable to port to 4e.

Sounds like good research to me.

Top Bottom