• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mech A RPG Contest

Ravil

Retired User
Okay, I've got some questions.

What exactly are you looking for in the finished project? Emphasis on setting? Emphasis on mechanics? New game mechanics? Regurgitated mechanics adapted to a new setting? A tactical system for mecha combat or something for more personal character RPing? Or do you not care about the specifics in the slightest and just want to see what cool stuff people can come up with? *grin*

Addendum: you mention the name 'Guerrilla Earth'. Is that the assumed title for this, or should we just go with whatever we feel to be appropriate?

Last edited:

JohnDeHope3

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think my last post was a little uncalled for. I shouldn't be writing commentary on specific submissions, or even threats of submissions. I should be unbiased until the final submissions are in. That's not to say I'm not going to look at stuff. I'm just not going to comment on every post. I'll let other folks do that for me :)

hat exactly are you looking for in the finished project?
I want to leave that a bit open. It's a mecha rpg 32-64 pages long, in the 8.5x11-folded-in-half format. Or about that size, if you want to use a different format. Anyway I feel like if I put more requirements or guidelines out than that, I'll be mucking up folks' creativity. There really should be mecha combat rules, but those can be really simple or more complicated, depending on the muses that inspire you. I'm going to try and remain very open minded about the whole thing.

The Guerilla Earth title is out there because I have a logo and cover art for it. THe cover wasn't released as part of the free images. The winner gets the logo and cover art. There is a cover without the logo, so you could use a different title if you win. I suppose there's nothing that can be done to stop folks form using that title on their own, or making their own title, which is fine. It's really just an afterthought to be honest.

I'm really stoked to see how excited other people are about this. I honestly think AndyK's idea will generate more great quality work than just me working alone would have. This is getting off to a great start!

Last edited:

JohnDeHope3

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Juicetyger (aka 1KM1KT) has offered to host submissions. And he's putting $50 into the pot! Holy crap this is going to be huge people! HUGE!!!

The Pot
John DeHope: Cover art, logo, and rights to the title "Guerilla Earth".
AndyK: $100.00.
Bryant Durrell: $50.00 or 5,000 words of add-on material.
Juicetyger: $50.00.

cheeplives

Inconsequential
Validated User
Can you contribute to the pot and still submit? I basically understand that you can, I just wanted to make sure...

Juicetyger

Retired User
Hey everyone!

AndyK turned me onto this post and I think it's a great idea. Like John said, 1km1kt will be contributing $50 to the pot, but we'd also like to host all the submissions in one place like we do for the 24hourrpg project. If you'd like your submission hosted, send your pdf to mail@1km1kt.net and we'll get it online in a day or so.

Good luck to everyone!

Keeton

cheeplives

Inconsequential
Validated User
one last question... say we are really industrious )read: masochistic), can we submit more than one, or should we really just focus on a single submission?

Praetorian

Go Rangers!
Validated User
I'm in.

Like a number of others- I have had a setting popping around in my head for some time. This is a great excuse to put it to paper.

wilder

Validated User
JohnDeHope3 said:
Mech A RPG Contest

This is a contest!

Submission Guidelines
Submit your PDF to this thread on or before June 30th 2005. Use mostly the art provided. Target a booklet laid out in 8.5x11 - landscape - folded-in-half, about 32-64 pages. The content should be a mecha rpg inspired by the art with a setting of post-alien-invasion Earth. These are guidelines though, not hard and fast requirements.
so does this mean we can only submit a setting of post-alien-invasion earth? or we can change a bit like post-gen engineered human-invasion earth or even post -alien -invasion-not earth?

philreed

Unwanted Commentator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm confused by the number of people that like the idea of the contest, want to participate, but can't get past the post-invasion requirement. I figure if the art was released for free and all we're asked to do is follow a couple of simple rules then how hard can it be?

I recommend that those having problems with the rules look at it as a challenge. I've never been a big fan of the type of cartoons this contest is based on but it's an opportunity for me to push myself.

Think of this as a creative exercise.

Top Bottom