• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
So, I like giant robots. Like, a lot. Thus, I wish to play a game in which I can field somewhere between one and many giant robots in combat. I do not need the game to be giant robots only, but I'd like at least one faction to be giant robot focused. The scale, similarly, can be played with. Warmachine would count as valid, for instance.

Now, my personal quirks. Since I see this as a more general resource thread, feel free to recommend games that fail my more personal problems, just mention that they do. The big one is that I dislike putting together and painting minis. In fact, it extends past "Dislike" deep into "actively incapable of the effort" territory. I suspect, however, a large part of this is the actual glueing and painting, not the needed assembly. If it snaps together like, say, basic Gundam models, it'll work a lot better.

The other thing is I like room to make something my own, in lore if not in design. This is my big problem with, say, Warmachine; I can't just field my own commander, I have to field This Guy, who's a named dude with his own storyline and personality that I didn't get to decide upon. And yes, I know this contrasts horribly with the first quirk. I'm a big ball of contradiction, just deal with it. :p

Oh, and I need a level of support. Mostly just I need the product still on the market, or built sufficiently generic that I can make or buy something from another line to get the job done.

Lastly, I vastly prefer anime-ish mecha to Battletech style walking tanks.

Anyways, with that said, games I know of. These aren't ruled out or anything, just gotta sell me on it instead of simply naming it.

-Mechaton/Mobile Frame Zero.
-Battletech.
-Warmachine.
-Heavy Gear, and whatever that WW2-ish one is the company makes.
-And that's all I can think of at the moment.

So, what all are my options? I should also mention it's a benefit if the game runs relatively quick and casually, with room to experiment and tinker without a whole lot of investment into huge armies or lots of extra minis. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Last edited:

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
The WW2 Heavy Gear game is Gear Krieg. That's about all I've got. Of your list, I've only really read it and Battletech. Of the two, I'd recomend Battletech, as the Gear Kreig* rules never quite gelled for me despite my love of the setting. But then I vastly prefer Battletech style walking tanks to anime-mechs. :)

* Spell check tells me both are right. Don't know what to do!
Qwa'ha Xahn

Malcolm Craig

Ich Bin Ein Auslander
Well, I'll speak up for Mobile Frame Zero (or Mechaton, as was.)

Given your dislike of gluing and painting, I'm not sure how building things out of Lego sits with you. It certainly seems to me that building a few of the basic mechs that come with the upcoming MFZ would take a fraction of the time invested in building and painting a miniature force for, say War Machine. But, as you seem to be non-averse to snap together models, maybe Lego fits into the same category?

Making something of your own? Go wild! As I understand it, MFZ will have a background (unlike Mechaton), but it isn't cannonical and you can do what the hell you like with the game itself. Want to make it a post-apocalyptic mecha combat game? Go nuts.

With a new edition of the game coming out this year, support will not be a problem. And there is already an established Mechaton community that produces new designs all the time. And the design team for MFZ have always been very accessible for comment and advice for their previous games.

Finally, anime-ish? The basic designs for MFZ have been heavily influenced by Macross, Armoured Trooper VOTOMS, and other non-giant robot anime. Which may/may not fit your bill.

I'm sure others will have further comments on the game and I'm certain you'll get equally good, reasoned responses on the other games.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Last edited:

PTiKachu

Damaramu will regret this
Validated User
Mechaton is a charming system. It has two advantages in my book. One, it uses Lego. Two, it's written by the guy who wrote KILL PUPPIES FOR SATAN (and Dogs in the Vineyard, Poison'd and others).

Win.

I play around with Heavy Gear Blitz and Battletech, but I don't think the OP would like either all too much, for reasons stated.

Littleredfox

Validated User
Now, my personal quirks. Since I see this as a more general resource thread, feel free to recommend games that fail my more personal problems, just mention that they do. The big one is that I dislike putting together and painting minis. In fact, it extends past "Dislike" deep into "actively incapable of the effort" territory. I suspect, however, a large part of this is the actual glueing and painting, not the needed assembly. If it snaps together like, say, basic Gundam models, it'll work a lot better.

The other thing is I like room to make something my own, in lore if not in design. This is my big problem with, say, Warmachine; I can't just field my own commander, I have to field This Guy, who's a named dude with his own storyline and personality that I didn't get to decide upon. And yes, I know this contrasts horribly with the first quirk. I'm a big ball of contradiction, just deal with it. :p

Oh, and I need a level of support. Mostly just I need the product still on the market, or built sufficiently generic that I can make or buy something from another line to get the job done.

Lastly, I vastly prefer anime-ish mecha to Battletech style walking tanks.

Anyways, with that said, games I know of. These aren't ruled out or anything, just gotta sell me on it instead of simply naming it.

-Mechaton/Mobile Frame Zero.
-Battletech.
-Warmachine.
-Heavy Gear, and whatever that WW2-ish one is the company makes.
-And that's all I can think of at the moment.

So, what all are my options? I should also mention it's a benefit if the game runs relatively quick and casually, with room to experiment and tinker without a whole lot of investment into huge armies or lots of extra minis. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
DP9's Lightning Strike [Since that is their "honest it isn't Gundam 0083 game"]? Use Gundam Collection figures or possibly Strategy of Gundam figures rather than their own [i.e Pathfinder = GM, Wyvern = Gelgoog, Dragonstriker Prototype = Neu Ziel] to minimise the assembly and paint problems. It has unit modification rules, if not a full VCS treatment.

The companion adds a reasonably large number of extra base designs and campaign rules.

Dirk Desiato

Gigan!
Validated User
Mekton Z. Even though it is an RPG it's combat system can be used as a war game. You can design you own vehicles and using the Mekton Z Plus book you can go really wild with the options (if you want to).

I have found the combat rules to be fun. They are a bit on the cinematic side, but we are talking giant robots here.:D

Jesse_Lowe

Validated User
I think Warmachine probably won't work for you. I think it's a fantastic rules systems, but while it puts Warjacks (the giant steam-powered war robots) front and center, it's not really a "mecha system" per se. Plus it does require an awful lot of miniatures assembly, even if you don't go with a large army.

Of the others you've listed, the only one I have experience with is Battletech, which for me fails the "quick and casual" test but sweeps the experimental category. You might try finding some of the old clicky-tech figures; or, if you're more comfortable with rules tinkering you could work out something with the miniatures rules.

There is also C.A.V., the Reaper Miniatures sci-fi wargame. I don't know if it's sill in print or not, and I have no experience with it. But it's out there.

CADmonkey

Validated User
If you like building stuff with Lego, I recommend Mechaton as well, it's great fun.

* Spell check tells me both are right. Don't know what to do!
The official name of the game is Gear Krieg. ;)

DP9's Lightning Strike [Since that is their "honest it isn't Gundam 0083 game"]? Use Gundam Collection figures or possibly Strategy of Gundam figures rather than their own [i.e Pathfinder = GM, Wyvern = Gelgoog, Dragonstriker Prototype = Neu Ziel] to minimise the assembly and paint problems.
That's an interesting idea. And while Lightning Strike was designed as a fleet game, it plays well with just Exo's and fighters. The level of detail is high enough that the Exo's feel different from each other, but combat is still quite quick.

Now this thread has brought something back up to the surface of my mind: Lego Lightning Strike! Here you can find a bunch of Lego designs of Jovian Chronicles mecha (+ a couple of Heavy Gears). Just a few rules tweaks to Lighning Strike (mostly scale), build your Exo's and off you go!

Stantz

Start-upity
Validated User
I'm glad someone else started this thread, so I didn't have to.

Now that the Von Fluffington Chronicles have collapsed, my group's been looking for a mecha game we can get into. None of us have the time or money for miniatures, thanks to Warmachine eating our wallets, so chits or legos would get much love. The problem is that we've all got different things we're looking for in a mech game.

I want something that is fast and violent once it gets into combat, with some tactical depth. Outside of combat, I'm okay with complexity. Mechwarrior has put me to sleep every time I've tried to learn it, so something less upkeep heavy than that.

Genri's player wants something strategically and logistically interesting she can run a campaign-level game in. She's all about the mechs and fiddly bits. She wants a military game with robots, and not something about superheroes in armor. Specifically, her only exposure to Heavy Gear was the Super-Pilot 2nd edition, which I think she threw out a window.

Delphina's player wants something where she doesn't have to learn much to play. Her preferred level of tactical complexity is "point the loud end of the gun at the other guy. Roll 2d6."

Suggestions? At this point, I'm thinking about pulling out Junk.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
I don't know about the op, but I'm intrigued by the lego based Mechaton. Anybody have any relevant links?

Qwa'ha Xahn

Top Bottom