[Mechaton/MFZ] Strategy & General Discussion

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
Over on my blog, I posted about creating a Demo Kit Starter Set. What follows is the text minus the pictures.

So with Pax Unplugged happening a little over three weeks ago, talk of Starter Kits, sources for parts, and other such talk ramped up in frequency again. This led to me thinking a bit about the topic and I came up with an idea, a Starter Demo Kit. What do I mean? a set made so you can run demonstrations of the game. Eight Frames -- four sets of teams of two -- four small walls, four large walls, a Station, a Ruler, and enough dice to play. It would also be a group starter kit, allowing a group of friends to start playing right out of the game. It could also -- possibly -- act as a starting point for someone wanting to build a squad.

Now, this isn't going to be cheap. I'll be sourcing all the parts from Lego Pick-A-Brick so I won't be able to look for the cheapest option. Why? Because it's a single source and I don't have the time to invest in looking through individual Bricklink stores. Right now the math is putting this at $150 USD and that's before I factor Shipping costs.

So what does everyone think? Yes? No? Special Snowflake? Thoughts? Criticism? I'm going to put at least one of these together just to see if it can be done and what costs and lead times are like. The final goal is to sell these at PAX East if there's any interest at all.

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like the idea. The price is high, but that's unavoidable buying that way. If you do put the kits together, I recommend you include the load-outs for each frame. The whole system of "number of options determines attacker and defender, and the constantly-adjusting score" always seemed a big chunk to wrap one's brain around. A simple "generalist, melee, sniper, spotter" on each sides would showcase build options, and suggest ways to tweak builds for future games.

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
I like the idea. The price is high, but that's unavoidable buying that way. If you do put the kits together, I recommend you include the load-outs for each frame. The whole system of "number of options determines attacker and defender, and the constantly-adjusting score" always seemed a big chunk to wrap one's brain around. A simple "generalist, melee, sniper, spotter" on each sides would showcase build options, and suggest ways to tweak builds for future games.
It's going to be Soldier loadouts all round. Easier that way.

Top Bottom