[Mechaton] Rule Mods

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
I've been on a Mechaton kick for a while, and in preparation for possibly running a game, I had a few thoughts.

Mines: These have 1 Red Die and only get to roll if a Mech passes within 1" of itself. Essentially it's a non-moving Hand-to-Hand attack.

Turrets: These have 1 Red Die at non-Artillery Range.

These would probably be best for scenario type games. I'm wondering if anyone else has any thoughts.

Odie

If only she could breathe
Validated User
I'd love to play with some house-rules! First I gotta get some 'mech armies fielded, and then my friends and I would be happy to field-test these added rules.

Mines could work if there's, say, a dozen that are going to be on the map, and players take turns placing mines one at a time wherever they want on the map before anything else is placed. I wonder if we should have them be d8s, since they're one-shot effects?

Turrets, though (assuming you mean each side gets its own set of defensive turret emplacements): when would they act? Last in a round?

-B

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
I'd love to play with some house-rules! First I gotta get some 'mech armies fielded, and then my friends and I would be happy to field-test these added rules.
Cool!

Mines could work if there's, say, a dozen that are going to be on the map, and players take turns placing mines one at a time wherever they want on the map before anything else is placed. I wonder if we should have them be d8s, since they're one-shot effects?
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Maybe they should be equal to one shot rockets, or used in place of them.

Turrets, though (assuming you mean each side gets its own set of defensive turret emplacements): when would they act? Last in a round?
Maybe give them their own initiative die?

Odie

Validated User
Yeah, I was thinking about that. Maybe [mines] should be equal to one shot rockets, or used in place of them.
Heck, I was debating giving 'em d10s, since not only are they one-shot effects, but you have to essentially walk into them to have them do any damage; as I don't recall seeing rules for knockback, it means you'd have to willingly choose to risk taking damage in order to pursue an avenue of movement that's (ostensibly) worth the risk. I was considering having green dice movement bypass them, too, like it does cover. Perhaps if your green die rolls 4+?

I was also thinking about optional rules to hide them, such that 'mechs who didn't dedicate a spotting die toward "searching for mines/sources of harm" could stumble into them, but then we start getting into rules that sound more like Battleship. Y'know, each player writes on a piece of paper which spots on the grid have their mines on 'em, and if an enemy 'mech wanders over it without spotting for it, BOOM!

I didn't pursue the avenue any further, but it occurred to me that those rules may be interesting for certain parties.

Maybe give [turrets] their own initiative die?
Thought about that, too. It'd work, although it pretty much means that turrets just become a 1- or 2-die 'mech. Not sure if that's a feature or a bug; it really depends on what our intent would be for rules for turrets.

-B

Odie

Validated User
Whoa! My previous remark just made me think of something.

What about letting players swap one of their 'mech's white dice for a colored d8? That is to say, a 'mech happens to be built for speed and mobility (or defensively armored, or...), so instead of having 2 white d6 as its "core", it has 1 white d6 and 1 green d8. It's sacrificed flexibility for maneuverability. I say d8 because there's got to be some reason to entice people to give up the only dice that can save your bacon if you lose all your dice of another color.

I'd have to playtest that to see if it makes red or blue d8s too powerful, but I'll be darned if I'm not intrigued by the notion. What do you think?

-B

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
Heck, I was debating giving 'em d10s, since not only are they one-shot effects, but you have to essentially walk into them to have them do any damage; as I don't recall seeing rules for knockback, it means you'd have to willingly choose to risk taking damage in order to pursue an avenue of movement that's (ostensibly) worth the risk. I was considering having green dice movement bypass them, too, like it does cover. Perhaps if your green die rolls 4+?
I think it all depends on what type of terrain you use and how you set it up. Also, it depends on what kind of weapon load out your opponent uses. If he's predominantly HtH using mines to create a stand-off situation for your ranged weapons could be key to winning the game.

I was also thinking about optional rules to hide them, such that 'mechs who didn't dedicate a spotting die toward "searching for mines/sources of harm" could stumble into them, but then we start getting into rules that sound more like Battleship. Y'know, each player writes on a piece of paper which spots on the grid have their mines on 'em, and if an enemy 'mech wanders over it without spotting for it, BOOM!
That could be a fun variant.

Thought about that, too. It'd work, although it pretty much means that turrets just become a 1- or 2-die 'mech. Not sure if that's a feature or a bug; it really depends on what our intent would be for rules for turrets.
The last time I played, I was the referee for two other players. Having control of two or three turrets in a scenario could make things a little more interesting for me and spice up the game a bit.

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
Whoa! My previous remark just made me think of something.

What about letting players swap one of their 'mech's white dice for a colored d8? That is to say, a 'mech happens to be built for speed and mobility (or defensively armored, or...), so instead of having 2 white d6 as its "core", it has 1 white d6 and 1 green d8. It's sacrificed flexibility for maneuverability. I say d8 because there's got to be some reason to entice people to give up the only dice that can save your bacon if you lose all your dice of another color.

I'd have to playtest that to see if it makes red or blue d8s too powerful, but I'll be darned if I'm not intrigued by the notion. What do you think?
Hmmn, that does sound interesting.

Octogenarihexate!

Retired User
We've dumped the initiative die in favor of using playing cards for initiative.
For this, you need a full set of cards, jokers in. The cards are ranked according to value and suit, 2 to Joker and in order of Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts and Spades to break ties between the same value. Jokers declare actions at the same time if there's two of them in play. Each player is dealt a number of cards equal to the number of fielded mechs + 3, and are encouraged to choose which cards will be dealt to which mech. The cards themselves are revealed at the start of the round, right after the doomsday clock is ticked down. At the end of the round, new cards are drawn to replace those used up, and the game continues.
We've found that this system leads to less roll-offs, and more flexibility in your options, ie. do you sacrifice that high card in the hopes that your opponents don't play anything higher, or do you wait and hold on to that joker in hopes that you can use it to thwart your opponents?

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
We've dumped the initiative die in favor of using playing cards for initiative.
Okay.

For this, you need a full set of cards, jokers in. The cards are ranked according to value and suit, 2 to Joker and in order of Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts and Spades to break ties between the same value. Jokers declare actions at the same time if there's two of them in play. Each player is dealt a number of cards equal to the number of fielded mechs + 3, and are encouraged to choose which cards will be dealt to which mech.
Does this give each person enough cards to cover all the initiative dice that would be replaced? Depending on how you equip your mechs, you may end up with two initiative dice per mech.

The cards themselves are revealed at the start of the round, right after the doomsday clock is ticked down. At the end of the round, new cards are drawn to replace those used up, and the game continues.
Are the old cards shuffled back into the deck?

We've found that this system leads to less roll-offs, and more flexibility in your options, ie. do you sacrifice that high card in the hopes that your opponents don't play anything higher, or do you wait and hold on to that joker in hopes that you can use it to thwart your opponents?
Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for. I may give it a try at some point though.

Octogenarihexate!

Retired User
Okay.

Does this give each person enough cards to cover all the initiative dice that would be replaced? Depending on how you equip your mechs, you may end up with two initiative dice per mech.

Are the old cards shuffled back into the deck?

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure if it's what I'm looking for. I may give it a try at some point though.
Hey, you asked for ideas. :p

The way we handle the less attachments = more dice thing is that we let mechs with less dice combine card results. ie. the "light" mech can add the value of two cards together to go before someone else. This worked fairly well in play, even though it drains the player of spare cards. So far, the group I play in likes the added resource management, though this option is rarely taken advantage of.
The only exception to this is jokers, which always go first.

The cards get reshuffled once the deck is exhausted.

Top Bottom