• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Mechwarrior Online] Six Major Eras of Battletech—The Sixth MWO ilThread

Dulahan

Validated User
Oh, forgot to mention my other favorite mech to play since coming back:

A Phoenix Hawk (I forget the variant, -2 maybe?) - Stealth Armor, Heavy PPC, and 3 ERMLLs. The Stealth Armor took some getting used to - but it's been going quite well for me now that I have! Particular favorite experience being when I jumped up onto the rim on HPG and proceeded to snip away for a very long time.

wilsch

Validated User
I was really skeptical about Civil War tech and proven wrong. Big revitalization to the game.

I got some decent performance out of a dual Heavy PPC Black Knight. Thanks to an oversight that PGI's okay with currently, the AWS-8Q can mount three without Heat Scale kicking in until 4 — when it works, that walking barn door is a lot of fun.

Dulahan

Validated User
With Clan Tech involved, moving to Civil War Era tech really was the best move they could make. I don't think it -quite- puts the IS on parity with the Clans, but it's close enough now that skill matters a lot more than it otherwise would. And it gives the IS some dirty tricks that actually do outdo the clans. (Fucking RAC2 boats! Makes you regret not putting more into those Gyro upgrades! Which really sucks when you're trying to XP up a newer mech!)

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
Oh, forgot to mention my other favorite mech to play since coming back:

A Phoenix Hawk (I forget the variant, -2 maybe?) - Stealth Armor, Heavy PPC, and 3 ERMLLs. The Stealth Armor took some getting used to - but it's been going quite well for me now that I have! Particular favorite experience being when I jumped up onto the rim on HPG and proceeded to snip away for a very long time.
How do you skill out such a mech? I dump everything into speed and evasion for lights, and durability for larger mechs. Not sure how to find a balance for lighter mediums.

Dulahan

Validated User
How do you skill out such a mech? I dump everything into speed and evasion for lights, and durability for larger mechs. Not sure how to find a balance for lighter mediums.

Lots of said mediums are essentially just lights. So I build it just like those. Hell, my Cicadas and Viper are at least as fast as all but the fastest of lights. The Pixie isn't -quite- there, but 109 before any speed tweaks is hardly anything to sneeze at. And it could be a lot faster if I went with a somewhat different weapon loadout. But a Heavy PPC is, well, heavy!

As for how to skill, yeah... True story? I quit playing before this new skill system was implemented and I still don't quite grok what the living fuck I want to do with anything. Thankfully, respecs aren't too punishing if you use mostly the same stuff.

I mean, some things are obvious. Speed Tweak is useful with pretty much every mech. The entire attack tree is useful except ignoring stuff that won't matter for your build (Like, no point in grabbing the missile, velocity, and magazine perks if you're an all laser boat). But beyond that I'm at a loss for most stuff. I like cool run stuff, but is it worth sacrificing other things?

I've specced the Operations tree a bit with the Pixie though, there's ECM bonuses, and scouting bonuses, etc. Am I sure I made the right choice though? Nope.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
Lots of said mediums are essentially just lights. So I build it just like those. Hell, my Cicadas and Viper are at least as fast as all but the fastest of lights. The Pixie isn't -quite- there, but 109 before any speed tweaks is hardly anything to sneeze at. And it could be a lot faster if I went with a somewhat different weapon loadout. But a Heavy PPC is, well, heavy!

As for how to skill, yeah... True story? I quit playing before this new skill system was implemented and I still don't quite grok what the living fuck I want to do with anything. Thankfully, respecs aren't too punishing if you use mostly the same stuff.

I mean, some things are obvious. Speed Tweak is useful with pretty much every mech. The entire attack tree is useful except ignoring stuff that won't matter for your build (Like, no point in grabbing the missile, velocity, and magazine perks if you're an all laser boat). But beyond that I'm at a loss for most stuff. I like cool run stuff, but is it worth sacrificing other things?

I've specced the Operations tree a bit with the Pixie though, there's ECM bonuses, and scouting bonuses, etc. Am I sure I made the right choice though? Nope.
I've got little clue either. Well, it's easy enough with the big boys. Just put as many points into hardening and enhancing weapons that you can, then add some stuff for consumables.

I took speed for the Phoenix Hawk, and the Cool Run/Heat Containment skills. Got the ECM boosters and the like. UACs & Coolshots. First match we lost 3 to 11, so who knows if I did anything remotely right or not. I still don't like Heavy PPCs.

Samaritan

One of the good guys.
Validated User
So, for somebody looking to get back to it after years away, what's a good resource to get started? Any 'mechs that are a solid, easy-to-use ride? The last time I played, the Centy with SRM-6 and ML mixes were considered solid.

Dulahan

Validated User
Honestly, start with what you know. Odds are it's still pretty good. There's just a lot more options now.*

Alternately, see if a mech you like is on sale and affordable, and play from there!

*EDIT: As for the one you said? If it ran cool enough, you could maybe consider swapping to ERMLs, but yeah, don't see why it wouldn't still do what it once did. It's more about knowing there's other things out there now too. And being able to use one you might still have some muscle memory for will likely help. Like me and my Cicadas before I jumped to the Pixie and Assault builds I'm running with new tech.

ShadowbaneX

Validated User
So, for somebody looking to get back to it after years away, what's a good resource to get started? Any 'mechs that are a solid, easy-to-use ride? The last time I played, the Centy with SRM-6 and ML mixes were considered solid.
You can give it a try, but it'll probably be a bit more clunky than you are used to. All of the talents have been split up and moved into a tree...well, 6 or 7 trees and you have to pick and choose which you want...and it comes in levels.

Like there are 15 things you can unlock to reduce the heat your weapons generate that are each 0.75% and are scattered across the tree and it's impossible to get them all. There's some 200+ nodes and you only have 91 points to spend. Well, you will once you convert the legacy points over to the new system.

I'm not sure if they've altered the Centurion's hit boxes. It used to be nigh indestructible, but it's possible that due to hit box tweaks it's easier to put down.

Dulahan

Validated User
I still seem to see Centurions quite a bit out in the wild, don't pay attention to what variants. But they must still be worth something.

EDIT: And today seems to be one of THOSE days for me. Cant get on a winning team to save my freaking life. no support from the lights as I get a squadron of pirahnas shaving my back off. Etc etc.

Top Bottom