🎨 Creative [Media Draft] Holy Great Bat-Draft, Batman!

Theodore Jay Miller

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Katherine Kyle, played by Charisma Carpenter, was a classmate of Dick Grayson, a girl who seemed to have everything: smart, beautiful, athletic, etc.. She served as a classroom rival to Dick, using her wits and wiles to manipulate others to get what she wanted, and a romantic relationship between Katherine and Dick was teased but never materialized. It was hinted that she was related to Selina Kyle, but never outright stated. In later seasons, Katherine would occasionally turn up in a cat costume to assist Batman, but always claimed some selfish reason for it, such as collecting a reward.

American Char Mk. III

Validated User
You know, one interesting thing about this draft is how different some of the visions of a show can be. DnD just set up a long running arc that'd be pretty much guaranteed to provide a reasonable chunk of a "Best Batman moments" list. Meanwhile, other people (including me, to a certain extent) seemed to be looking at this at first as more an attempt at catching Saved by the Bell's audience, with more of a "My principal... is a villain!" plots and cheesiness. It gives things a much more varied tone than the might have otherwise.

Of course, both of those sides make me imagine a scene where Richard talks to Uncle Bruce about how many of the people he knows turn out to dress in weird costumes to fight or commit crimes, and he kind of nods, smiles and says it's just the nature of the business.

NoOneImportant

Validated User
Meanwhile, other people (including me, to a certain extent) seemed to be looking at this at first as more an attempt at catching Saved by the Bell's audience, with more of a "My principal... is a villain!" plots and cheesiness.
I'm actually of an age to remember the slightly cheesy late 80s syndicated superheroics of the Superboy tv series and My Secret Identity, so I have this image in my head of an earlier effort at this as a half hour syndicated Robin: The Boy Wonder, with fairly bright garish costumes (perhaps even the green Speedos) and Robin initially having to traverse Gotham's suburbs on a ten speed.

Myth

Southern Mane
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Season 3 introduced Joseph Gordon Levitt as freshman Lonnie Machin, a trouble-making rebel. A year later, Batman encountered Anarky, who was "fighting the Man" who was "keeping is down". He seemed to think of himself as a hero, though his methods often put people in danger, forcing Dick to choose between saving innocents and capturing the villain.

Lee Casebolt

SUCH a BOY
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The GCPD played a smaller role in Back to the Belfry than it had in earlier incarnations, but interaction with law enforcement was an inevitable part of a Batman story. Grayson's most common contact was a young detective named Manny Bullock, played by Benicio del Toro. Manny was young, bright, and ambitious, but a stickler for the forms of law. He was also highly educated; his "Harvey" nickname was never explained except by showing him wearing a Harvard sweatshirt on the rare occasions he was on screen but off duty. A common recurring scene was a split screen of Batman and Bullock spotting very similar pieces of evidence and simultaneously explaining to a partner (or simply to the audience in V/O) what it meant and where it led.

The relationship between Bullock and Batman was always fraught. Though they shared a respect for each other's abilities and goals, Bullock's commitment to the law prevented him from embracing Batman's extra-legal approach to crimefighting. Discussions between the two regarding the relative merits of their methods ranged from quiet, philosophical discussions to angry, accusatory screaming matches.

Top Bottom