• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Megatraveller 1 The Zhodani Conspiracy

The Radioactivist

Validated User
OK, because I like to delve into games I gave up on years ago, here we go. (Plus I'm falling out of love with Savage Worlds and really digging Mongoose Traveller v2)

So, the main issues with this game's play-ability is 1. the real-time combat and 2. wonky spaceflight.

On PC (DOS emulator with DosBox), issues with combat are somewhat resolved if you put the emulator's speed at 6% and have your finger over the P (party) key to give a pause, followed by O (issue Orders), which allows you a microsecond to think. I've done a few "test games" and got the combat down. With a patch I found, someone worked the autofire weapons so they are correct and fixed weapon pricing (Yay! And thank you Unknown Gamer Programmer for a job well done. Rest easy my friend.)

However, space flight is a nightmare. The ships are real-time, vector based. You have to mash on the up and down arrows to set fwd and reverse thrust. It plain ... sucks. However, I think read this snippet which gives me some hope ...

Paragon implemented additional changes in preparation for the game's publication in the United Kingdom by its European distributor, Empire Software. On the basis of criticism generated upon the game's initial release, the user interface was retooled to provide the player with greater ability to control the game with a mouse and the realistic inertia-based thrust model of spaceship flight was replaced. (Source cited: Presley, Paul (June 1991). "MegaTraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy". The One for Amiga Games (33): 74–75. )

This was from the wiki entry here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaTraveller_1:_The_Zhodani_Conspiracy

My GUESS is that this fix of the game re-issued by Empire in Europe re-coded the spaceflight somehow, making it playable. Rather too late as it sounds like the game bombed.

QUESTION: Does anyone know if the Amiga version of the game issued by Empire has spaceflight that is easier/fixed, and if so how?

Thanks ...

Agamemnon2

Validated User
Megatraveller was the first CRPG I ever played. I remember my English wasn't really up to the challenge of reading big walls of text. I remember I never even knew what I was supposed to be doing, so I remember I just flew around, did some space piracy and sidequests. I haven't even thought of the game in such a long time, thank you for reminding me of it.

Cult Classic

A cautionary tale
Validated User
Oh, man- this is one of those games I always try to replay every five years due to nostalgia but give up on in five seconds due to the interface 😉

It always seemed like there was a lot of hidden depth I could never get to, but I could never find out because I never had any idea what I was actually supposed to be doing. May you have better luck than I did, and keep us posted!

Top Bottom