• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Merged X3] PBP Tips & Tricks Megathread

Malin Genie

Validated User
Re: [Meta] Tips For Running A Successful PBP

Powered by the Apocalypse games are especially good at this, with their GM hard and soft moves, though they have their own problems in PbP .....
Sorry if this is a little bit of a necro but I'd be really interested if anyone can elaborate on that for me (particularly the problems bit...)

Just started running a Monsterhearts game here and - so far so good - but I'd like to be alert to any pitfalls ahead and plan around / hack as appropriate.

LatinaBunny

Cyberprep Warrior
Validated User

I'm thinking of houseruling and doing turn-phases, one for the players called "Player Phase" and one for the enemies called "Enemy Phase" for the initiative. I (GM) roll for BOTH groups, each as a whole.

I'll roll a D20, and whichever group has the higher roll, goes first. If the enemy goes first, then the Enemy Phase happens, and all of the enemies act (and I roll for each enemy) in my same post.

In the Player Phase, I would let the players post when they can. No individual initiative order for the players. Just post when they can during the time limit (a day). First come, first serve (aka first act). The players will roll for their characters' actions (and add metacurrency, if they have any).

Then I resolve all of the players' actions once all players' actions in my next post.

I'm wondering about character death in a round, though. I don't want character death for the most part, and I don't like the long death spiral waits, either.

I'm thinking of having the character be "knocked out"/unconscious until one of the PCs or an NPC helps in the next immediate turn. Does that sound like a good idea?

Last edited:

LatinaBunny

Cyberprep Warrior
Validated User

No one has answered my post here, so I’ll just have characters avoid death, or have players temporarily puppet an NPC once in a while or something.

I AM learning that pbp is just WAY. TOO. SLOW for me, lol. ^_^;; Next time, I’m going to keep doing more of the VTT and face-to-face games.

Last edited:

Mr Blobby

Validated User
As your question... I'm mainly experienced with WoD, on which there is a 'crippled' level [concious, but a bloody heap on floor] and 'incapacitated' level [unconscious]. Fudging rolls a *little* so the PC's don't instantly shoot through these to 'Death' is not unreasonable, and I [as a GM] sometimes apply Common Sense and halting death for a few rounds [many fatal wounds are not instantly fatal, after all] to allow somebody to medic them up just enough not to snuff it. But... I won't pull the PC's arse out of the fire if they did something stupid combat-wise which proved *very* fatal...

PBP is a different form of playing, which requires it's own methods and style. Example: I've learned that 'long running plots' simply *do not work* in a PBP game, and the GM must also take into account the higher 'flake/vanish rate' of players. Ultimately, I believe pretty much all game systems are designed for a tabletop/LARP environment, which means the GM *must* adapt - the same way a writer would adapt a novel so it could be made into a TV show.

Mr Adventurer

More Daring Than That
Validated User
So uh... how'd one use the new die roller in the forums? :)

Edit: so I see, thanks

Last edited:

Cerulean Lion

Social Justice Christian
Validated User
So uh... how'd one use the new die roller in the forums? :)
First make a post. Then submit the post.
Then edit the post.
You should now see at the bottom of the post the option to use dice.
Once you use the dice, save the edited post and the die rolls will appear.

….Thusly. :)

thirdkingdom

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think the consensus is, unfortunately, that the roller really isn't that effective for pbp games.

BlackSheep

Wise and Insightful
Validated User
The problem is that for PBP I usually want to know the roll before I write the narration. So I think you need to either make an incomplete IC post, edit in the roll, and then edit in the rest of the post; or you just roll in the OOC and then post IC. For me, yeah, I'll probably stick to Orokos.

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User
I want to roll an improbable die.

Huh... won't let me. Won't allow a die that's above a d00.

Top Bottom