• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[META] Good External PBP Forums

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Looking for recommendations for forums outside RPG.net that host good, reliable PBP games. I tend to be a little set in my ways and a little 'get off my lawn' when it comes to new things, so I've not had much luck poking about the interwebs on my own.

What I'm looking for, specifically, are sites that feature clear/easy recruitment, reliable players/GMs, and actual gaming (ie - NOT just collaborative novel writing, but actually playing games - with as much consideration given to system engagement as to roleplaying).

I've been on RPG.net going on a decade now without venturing very far from here for my online gaming, but I've occasionally seen members point to other sites and was curious what folk's experiences have been and if any of those experiences might warrant a recommendation.

Thanks!

Nate_MI

Hail Tzeentch!
Validated User
Myth-Weavers has a very robust system for running games, including sub-forums for official games and a lot of discussion about discussion and over mechanics. It's heavily slated towards D&D and Pathfinder, but where isn't these days? I spent a deal of time there, but shoved off because the mods right-wing stance. It's not MAGAistan, but it's very much "we don't want to offend anyone so we won't take a stance."

Nick the Nevermet

Concept Monger
Validated User
Tavernkeeper is ok, but it's population is small, and I personally find the user interface a bit odd for a reason I can't quite articulate.
RPOL is RPOL

RPGuru

Validated User
I really lean on Gamersplane.com. Great community, very varied games and the interface is very clear. Also the site works great on mobile which is a plus.

Also rolegate is up and coming, it is a fusion of chat and playbypost if you ask me.

Sepulchritude

Validated User
Rpol.net is my strong favorite. The rules of the site are pretty good for shaping the community in "Let's get to playing" kinds of ways. Every game essentially gets a subforum of its own automatically, where the GM can add content to whatever degree of structuring and layers of access they want. The topical cut-off is "Don't be a terrible person and/or get the site shut down", rather than "Don't offend your grandmother".

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rpol.net is my strong favorite. The rules of the site are pretty good for shaping the community in "Let's get to playing" kinds of ways. Every game essentially gets a subforum of its own automatically, where the GM can add content to whatever degree of structuring and layers of access they want. The topical cut-off is "Don't be a terrible person and/or get the site shut down", rather than "Don't offend your grandmother".
(1) The mods there do not enforce the stated rules consistently. I pulled a warning for reporting the game I was in for an explicit, violent sex scene that took place in front of a child PC. I got warned. The GM got told to "tone it down a little."

(2) The way anonymity/pseudonymity works, there's no way to avoid playing with toxic people. Only the GM knows anyone's username, and the players only know the GM's username—the players only know each other by their character names. You can change your username pretty freely, too.

On the other hand, yes, the GM tools are better there than here.

Sepulchritude

Validated User
(1) The mods there do not enforce the stated rules consistently. I pulled a warning for reporting the game I was in for an explicit, violent sex scene that took place in front of a child PC. I got warned. The GM got told to "tone it down a little."
Well. That is super upsetting but also not in line with my experiences. So I'll definitely ding them for inconsistency.

Daz Florp Lebam

Validated User
[QUOTE="RPGuru, post: 22775406, member: 10374"
Also rolegate is up and coming, it is a fusion of chat and playbypost if you ask me.
[/QUOTE]

This intrigues me mightily, so thanks for that.

RPGuru

Validated User
Running a Risus game on there if you would like.

Last edited:

thirdkingdom

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Unseen Servant is a good place for pbp games. It tends to skew towards OSR-style games, although there's a wide range of stuff being played there. I don't think the players are, on average, as high a quality as to be found here, but I could also be biased.

Top Bottom