• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[MHR] The Exspies Universe

My Hero Zero

Validated User
The Exspies universe is a Marvel Heroic Roleplaying actual play setting where I take MHR characters and create new heroes and send them on randomly created adventures. Exspies is a play on words: one of the characters is always an ex-spy, and is also a Marvel expy.

In the first scenario the characters are:
Spoiler: Show

Black Scarab (played by Iron Fist's datafile)

Affiliations: Buddy D10 • Solo D8 • Team D6
Distinctions: The Scarab Serves the People • Hardbody is my Sister From Another Mister • Weaponized Ka

Power Set: Gifts of Amen-Ra
Enhanced Reflexes D8
Enhanced Speed D8
Enhanced Stamina D8
Enhanced Strength D8
SFX: Fist of Ka. Double or step up Enhanced Strength for one action. If that action fails, shutdown Enhanced Strength. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
SFX: Ka Focus. In a pool including a Gifts of Amen-Ra die, replace two dice of equal steps with one die of +1 step.
SFX: Ka Healing. Add Enhanced Stamina to your dice pool when helping others to recover stress. Spend 1 PP to recover your own or another's physical stress or step back your own or another's physical trauma by –1.
Limit: Conscious Activation. While stressed out, asleep, or unconscious, shutdown Gifts of Amen-Ra. Recover Gifts of Amen-Ra when you recover that stress or wake up. If you take mental trauma, shutdown Gifts of Amen-Ra until you recover that trauma.

Specialties: Acrobatic Master D10, Business Expert D8, Combat Master D10, Covert Expert D8, Mystic Expert D8, Psych Expert D8

Origin: David Beckett was chosen by the High Priests of Amen-Ra as this era's champion. The High Priests, for dozens of centuries, have sought the world over for those marked with the potential to receive Amen-Ra's gifts. Many are selected for testing, but few prove their worth. David Beckett was chosen and he serves the people as Black Scarab!

Spoiler: Show

Hardbody (played by Luke Cage's datafile)

Affiliations: Buddy D10 • Team D8 • Solo D6
Distinctions: Soldier Through and Through • Black Scarab is my Brother From Another Mother • Guns Galore

Power Set: Super-Soldier
Superhuman Durability D10
Superhuman Stamina D10
Superhuman Strength D10
SFX: Area Attack. Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add D6 and keep an extra effect die.
SFX: Cry Havoc! Before you make an action including a Super-Soldier power, you may move your physical stress die to the doom pool and step up the Super-Soldier power by +1 for this action.
SFX: Versatile. Replace any Super-Soldier power with 2d8 or 3d6 on your next roll.
Limit: War Is Hell. Step up emotional stress from conflict to gain 1 PP.

Specialties: Business Expert D8, Combat Expert D8, Covert Expert D8, Crime Expert D8, Menace Master D10

Origin: Dana Sawyer was a US Army veteran chosen for the military's first super-soldier program. The Staff Sergeant had proven herself in battle and proved herself once more by emerging from the program with superhuman abilities none before her withstood. She served for several years in various secret programs but was allowed to retire due to PTSD.

Some background group expy's are:
• HUNTER: Headquarters for the United Nations Taskforce on Enforcement and Response (played by SHIELD)
• Umbra (played by Hydra)

Issue #1: Dirty Deeds [coming soon!]

Last edited:

My Hero Zero

Validated User
Night, Warehouse scene

Doom Pool: 2d6
Hardbody: 1 PP/no stress • Black Scarab: 1 PP/no stress

As the two heroes for hire watch over the warehouse, Black Scarab scowls under his mask. "I think this was a bad tipoff."

Hardbody, who doesn't wear a mask, gave her lopsided grin. Her augmentations made it so she didn't even feel the cold of the night air. "We were paid and I already looked into it. The Enforcers were hired to rip this place off, plain and simple. They'll be here."

It didn't take too long for Black Scarab to nod to his partner that, once again, she was right when a large panel van pulled up to the adjacent building. "That nod is barely adequate. Should be 'yass, queen'!" But Black Scarab was already over the side of the building and dealing with a 30-foot drop in his typical style.

OOC: Let's have some fun with the dice roller. Black Scarab has to eliminate the Three Story Stakeout scene distinction to get down to the ground. His opposition will be the Doom Pool + the D8 distinction.

Scarab is rolling Buddy D10 + Weaponized Ka D8 + Enhanced Reflexes D8 + Acrobatic Master D10: a 17/D10 vs the Doom Pool's 9, which is sufficient to eliminate the scene distinction and he's off and running on the ground. If he'd failed to eliminate it, I could spend from the Doom Die to inflict stress, but in the beginning that would only serve to make him look like a chump.

Last edited:

My Hero Zero

Validated User
While Hardbody remained topside, Black Scarab made an easy landing and was off toward the van. The Enforcers were just getting out when Fancy Dan happened to look skyward just as Hardbody dropped from the roof, looking as if she were going to land right on it! "Out!" he yelled and six goons clambered from the back door and already Fancy Dan was speeding forward out of the path of the rapidly descending Hardbody. She came down in a three-point landing, having missed the van.

OOC: Hardbody is making an attack on the van itself. You could look at it a number of ways: shutting down the van's Speed die, or just an action against the Doom Pool + the van's Enhanced Durability D8. It ends up being the same dice pool contents.

Hardbody rolls Buddy D10 + Guns Galore D8 + Superhuman Strength D10 + Combat Expert D8: a 9/D10. She rolls an Opportunity, which the GM buys and steps up a D6->D8. The Doom Pool stands at D6+D8.

The Doom Pool rolls 16/D6 which beats Hardbody's total and Fancy Dan gets the van out of the way.

We'll have Montana go next. I've played it a little fast and loose with the action order getting things started, but now it'll follow a standard hand-off sequence.

Last edited:

My Hero Zero

Validated User
Montana was quick with his lariat. He'd done this a million time. Set 'em up for Ox, and the big guy would take 'em down. Just a little thing tho. That girl was bigger than Ox! Nevertheless he unerringly threw the lariat and snagged himself a live one!

OOC: Let's see if Montana can snare himself a hero. He rolls Team D8 + Criminal Cowboy D8 + Steel-Fiber Lariat D8 + Combat Expert D8 + SFX D6. He gets 15/D10 (SFX steps up the D8->D10).

Hardbody rolls Buddy D10 + Soldier Through and Through D8 + Superhuman Strength (2D8 from SFX) + Combat Expert D8 for a 14/D8, which means she takes on a Snared D10 Complication.

Montana hands off to Ox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom