IC [MHRP] Verdant Chrome

Shawn_Hagen

Shawnya the Evil?
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Shambala City had been built around and between Stanely Peak and Mount Fulgora. Cyber enhanced workers, semiautonamous AI and nanotech had built a city, home for over three million people, in a matter of years instead of decades.

Just above the tree line was First Wall, a raised bulwark of stone that was porous, as the slum dwellers in the Low Ward had every reason to know. That night bio monsters, perhaps once coyotes, had broken though and ran the streets. Shambala Security was thin on the ground and people had to protect themselves or count on private security.

The slum of Low Wall stretched up the gentler (relatively speaking) slopes until it came to an abrupt as at Second Wall. Stone and reinforced concrete with regular patrols, it was anything by porous, and the people behind Second Wall did not know the desperation of their neighbors.

Then there was Third Wall, Fourth Wall and finally Fifth Wall, and the Peak Ward, where the very rich and very powerful lived in the frigid, wind swept security, high above the Verdant Wave.

Sidereal was among these worthies, the last Biotech company, 'Reclaiming the Earth, By Humans, For Humans' was their catch phrase.

And that night, while the people in First Ward fought to survive, the upper levels of the Shambala Sidereal Division held a celebration for a business deal between them and the Archology of Eden.

Two days ago Sidereal reported to the Administrators of Shambala that four biomonsters, created for testing purposes, had been destroyed.

That was not true.

Currently deep under Shambala, in the Cross Seven Tunnel, a huge, automated tractor was puling four suspension tanks, each the size of a train car. A team of mercenaries rode on the car, relaxed but watchful, as a combat robot stomped on ahead of them.

At the end of the tunnel an airship would be waiting, to take the bio monsters to the Archology of Eden where further work would be preformed.

On the fifty seventh floor of the hundred floor Sidereal building the company was playing host to Johnathan Chang, Eden's Chief Administrative Cleric. It was his agreement that would allow them to set up operations in Eden and continue work on their bio monsters. It looked relaxed, but if one looked they would note that despite the fine cut, the armored clothing of the waitstaff's uniforms could not be hidden, and while their weapons were discrete, they were there. And then there was the Colonel.

Full conversion borg, uncomfortable among the glittering throngs, he could not be discounted as an obstacle.

Sidereal had not hidden things as well as they thought.

There were those who had learned of this operations and wanted to see it stopped.

Kill the bio monsters in the tunnels or kidnap the Cleric. Either would stop Sidereal, both would be preferred.

OOC:
Kill the Bio Monsters and Kidnap Chang. You can do whatever you want to Chang, as long as he is kept under wraps for at least 2 days. The bio monsters have to die. The bio monsters will not be released by accident. A concerted effort will have to be made to release them. Killing them while they are in the suspension tanks is just a matter of a few minutes to active self destruct charges. Note, a free bio monster will be a T-Rex level of threat. I would personally keep them asleep.

Feel free to start creating any assets as the Doom Pool is very low.

Once you are ready we'll launch into the operation.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Evette frowned, the Serpent coiling loyally around her shoulders, as they planned their next move.

"...It's good that we're keeping the creatures out of the hands of Eden," she said. "You may not realize how bad Eden is, but they should never be allowed to have power like that. I can probably get in very close; I still know a lot of Eden's security codes. But there's no guarantee that Shamballa will trust one more person from Eden; we probably need a backup plan."

wormmonda

#TwitterIsTransphobic
Banned
Validated User
"Well, let's get this party started, shall we?" Ana smiled as one of the canister popped out of the lumbering fungus tank that's fused with her body. "Let's start this show with some - " before she could say what, though, the canister retracted, and another canister popped out instead. "Wait, what - " and before she could do anything about it, the canister opened and sprayed a cloud of green spore toward the mercenaries. "Urgh, I swear, sometimes I think this fungus doesn't like me."

OOC: Solo D8, I Am Legion D4, Poisonous Spores D8, Menace Master D10: [1d8=4] [1d4=2] [1d8=1] [1d10=10]. Since the Doom Pool is still small, I'll go with a Total of 12 for a D8 asset of Scary Hallucinogen.

Shawn_Hagen

Shawnya the Evil?
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In the darkness, with the rumbling sound of the automated tractor and the bang, bang, bang of the combat bot's foot falls, the sound of the canister was lost.

OOC:
2d6 for the doom pool 1d4 for the tractor
I'll add a D6 to the Doom Pool for the Tunnel Team
12, so sad for the mercs, you have your asset

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Evette took a few minutes to formulate a backup tactical plan based on what she knew and could learn quickly. It only seemed wise.

OOC: Team d10, Hidden Dagger d8, Senses d8, Covert Master d10.
1d10: 10 [1d10=10]
1d8: 3 [1d8=3]
1d8: 8 [1d8=8]
1d10: 9 [1d10=9]

So let's call that a 19, d8 Effect die.

Last edited:

EnigmaticOne

Validated User
Team Alpha: Kidnap Chang

While Evette was making extra plans, Nick was scanning the area, his eyes zooming in and picking up the barely-disguised guards. Posture, gait, signs of weapons, the type of armored clothing. He would know how they responded, and how they would move in a fight.

OOC: Team d8, Picks Up Everything d8, Senses 1d10, Cover Expert d8
To create Asset: Calculated Response Patterns.
http://orokos.com/roll/714228: 3#1d8 5 4 8 1d10 10
18, d8 Effect die.

Last edited:

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Might I suggest that things will be less confusing if we indicate which team we're on in bold at the beginning of each post?

Team Beta: Kill the Bio Monsters

Artemis crouched nearby in a catlike pose, her body tense, ready to leap into action, but waiting to see the effects of Ana's spores before she moved. As she waited, she turned her attention to the tanks containing the bio-monsters, studying them, hoping to better understand the creatures inside, wondering if they were ones she had encountered before. She is somewhat distressed by the need to kill them and hopes to at least do them the honor of knowing who they are before they die.

OOC: Stepping down Monstrous Mindset to 1d4 for the Plot Point and because Artemis would rather there was another way out of this than killing them.
Solo + Monstrous Mindset/ 1d4 + Monstrous Senses + Science Expert:

Total: 17. GM Opportunities: 0. Not bad for my first roll of the game.

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Oops, I need to choose an effect die too, don't I? I'm used to the Firefly iteration of Cortex Plus, where that's not a thing.

Effect die: 1d8

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Team Alpha: Kidnap Chang

While Evette was making extra plans, Nick was scanning the area, his eyes zooming in and picking up the barely-disguised guards. Posture, gait, signs of weapons, the type of armored clothing. He would know how they responded, and how they would move in a fight.
Prism ever-so-subtly nods to Nick and Evette, knowing that Nick's heightened awareness will pick up the motion and her focus on him when almost anyone else would miss it. In a rainbow gossamer dress that would be generous to describe as 'translucent' and silvery accents beneath, she certainly stands out, but she's enjoying showing off her whole-body disguise skills with the extra padding under her perfectly flesh-matched bodysuit to throw off even that method of recognition. She's busy making friends with as many devices in the room as she can with her cognitive augmentations that make slipping scrapcode into wireless streams for command injection as natural as twirling a finger, armed with the latest zero-day exploits she's dug up and a few of the easy tricks that average, clueless corp employees don't configure their devices to defend against. Especially the personal devices they shouldn't be using for work communications but so often do...
+He's probably too savvy to just seduce into a shady corner,+ Prism thinks to Evette and Nick, +Though from what you've told me about Eden he's either never had a real interesting experience or he's paying for it every week. I'm going to make friends with the guards and their gear...+ Though as she works her way around the guards, she gets a little distracted showing off...

OOC: Trying to hack the guards' devices to confuse them once we get things going (the head guy will get more detailed prepwork after this)
d6 team d8 artful hacker d10 technology mastery d10 tech master d6 puppet mistress: 2#1d10 7 1 1d8 8 2#1d6 4 6
So... I'll go with 14, because I want that d10 that rolled a 7 as my effect die, because that would go up to a d12 complication if successful.
Also 1 opportunity tho.

Shawn_Hagen

Shawnya the Evil?
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Evette took a few minutes to formulate a backup tactical plan based on what she knew and could learn quickly. It only seemed wise.
Evette blended in with the rich and powerful up there and she moved about the room, making sure she had a firm grasp on the layout and security. She had to be careful not to be observed.

She spotted Chang standing among a group of pretty people, enjoying a glass of champagne.

She also saw the Colonel, watching.

OOC:
Doom Pool For Team Alpha 2d6
Security Monitoring System D8
Evette gets her D8 Back Up plan Asset

Top Bottom