• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [MHRP] Voyage of the Star Witch

Garyfury

Implacable Mustelid
RPGnet Member
Validated User
A series of loud K-chunk! noises can be heard from elsewhere in the building, like big relays being tripped. The building's interior lighting now switches off completely, replaced by emergency flashers, and another voice - an obvious recording, not the weird constructed one that has been speaking up until now -- plays over the speaker, "Campus security has been compromised. Please exit buildings in an orderly manner, or proceed to designated interior shelters." Anyone looking out the windows will see that small red lights are also flashing on walkway lighting and building exteriors.

"Oh..." groans Katal. "Not good. Not not not not good!"

Syla has more immediate worries, however, as the lion's share of the mobile controlled objects that aren't still trying to grapple and pin Kimba orient on her, likely as the obvious proximate threat. Previously, everything that wasn't bolted down was moving at the command of the Shistivari entity loosed from the core. Now, a couple of power screwdrivers and a surly-looking ratchet wrench have gone to work unbolting some of what previous was bolted down. And they all seem angry, doing their best to launch themselves ballistically at the heroic individual who is in no obvious way a Skrull.

OOC: Rocket Storm's reaction gives the entity 2 levels of extraordinary success. Its asset converts to a Compromised Campus Systems D12 asset. It uses one free effect die to restore a D6 to Little Controlled Technology (Possess Tech SFX), and it will use the other to add a D10 to the Doom Pool, making it 1D6+2D8+2D10.

I'll assign the next action to Little Controlled Technology, which will try to inflict physical stress on Syla:

Team 3D6; Compact D8, Weapon D8, Combat Expert D8: 3#1d6 6 4 4 1d8 3 1d8 8 1d8 5
Total of 14, D8 effect, no whammies.

Kaul to act next.

Last edited:

t@nya

Asgardian rainbow dragon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Okay, trying a bit of the rules I am somewhat unfamiliar with, so please forgive any mistakes!

Team d8, Frost Giant/God of the Sun d8, Plasma Generation d10 (I decided, this does fit), Solar Flare (d8 stunt); Combat Master, splitting this into 3 d8s.

Note, I am a bit unsure of when we get step up and down results. Here goes...

Okay, results.

http://orokos.com/roll/719306

My first thought is a total of 14 and an effect of 10. So, what I can step up in this situation, guys? And how does that process work?

Garyfury

Implacable Mustelid
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Not sure if I mis-explained, but splitting Combat Master would give you 2 D8s, not 3. OTOH you should have gotten a D10 for your stunt die, because there was an available opportunity. So: Team d8, Frost Giant/God of the Sun d8, Plasma Generation d10, Solar Flare (d10 stepped up stunt); Combat Master as 2d8

Although I note that if you are primarily attacking the Technopathic Entity, you also have its existing Mental Stress D8 to use. So if you like that roll well enough you can keep it.

As for improving your result, I believe you started with 2 PP before this action and spent 1 on the stunt. One option you would have is to spend your other PP keep another die for your total. Taking your roll as the example, that might either be the D10 (so you could get a 19, but with only a D8 effect, since that pool only has the 1 D10) or 18 (using one of the D8s that got a 4) with a D10 effect.

Stepping up happens if you get an extraordinary success -- beat the reaction roll by 5 or more. For every 5, you get to increase the size of your effect die. And if you increase it past D12, any additional levels of success get you free additional effects from your remaining dice. This is what the Technopathic Entity's last action did, when it had a D12 effect but then also beat the reaction by 12. So that can be a good reason to gamble on increasing your total -- not just to succeed, but to possibly get a greater effect.

Also, it's good to declare what kind of effect you are creating. Because of the thing's nature, the EMP could be Physical Stress on the entity, but it could also be a complication. In this case the complication would be better, because when it comes to using these in dice pools against the enemy, you can't include more than one kind of stress, but you can include both a stress die and a complication die. It's also feasible that the EMP could cause it Mental Stress, which it already has. In that case success would either replace the existing mental stress (if the effect die is larger than the existing stress) or step up the existing stress (if the effect die is equal or smaller.)

t@nya

Asgardian rainbow dragon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC:

No, you explained it properly, I’m just in pain and finding it hard concentrate. :(

Okay, I’ll adjust my last roll. Stunt die is rerolled as a 10, and result is a 5.

http://orokos.com/roll/719309

I’ll make the result 18 with a d10 effect (spending the second pp), and make it a complication.

Also, I really don’t understand opportunities, to be honest. 😊

Last edited:

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
[QUOTE="Garyfury, post: 22535459, member: 7014"
OOC:
I'll assign the next action to Little Controlled Technology, which will try to inflict physical stress on Syla:

Team 3D6; Compact D8, Weapon D8, Combat Expert D8: 3#1d6 6 4 4 1d8 3 1d8 8 1d8 5
Total of 14, D8 effect, no whammies.
[/QUOTE]

While this wasn't good, it was well within the sort of danger that a Skrull Warrior could handle. With the toughness-- and telekinetic force fields-- of her component sets, plus her native agility and skill, she was able to stay ahead of the attack. Barely.

OOC: Team d10, Skrull Expatriate d8, Enhanced Durability d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Combat Master d10.
1d10: 4 [1d10=4]1d8: 1 [1d8=1]1d8: 7 [1d8=7]1d8: 5 [1d8=5]1d10: 4 [1d10=4]
I'll spend 1 PP to make that a 16, d10 Effect, 1 Opportunity

Garyfury

Implacable Mustelid
RPGnet Member
Validated User
As Kaul Lokison begins to gather his coronal burst, the thing now infesting the Institute's infrastructure feels it coming. It shunts critical parts of its operating code into secure storage and Faraday-shielded systems.

When Kaul's pulse detonates, the effects on the Institute grounds are dramatic. A great deal of the technology in the laboratory and the surrounding buildings as far as anyone can see, simply dies. Capacitors blow; small electrical fires start in a number of devices and a fair amount of the building wiring.

For a few moments, there's the silence of an electronically crippled world. "Did that work?" X!tectri chitters nervously. "Did you kill it?"

But even as she says that, the Shistivari core comes back to life, glowing with an inner light. Backup power kicks on, some of the computer equipment boots and powers up, and the manipulator arms and some of the other bits of controlled machinery sputter and engage again, coming drunkenly back on-line.

OOC: Syla: Opportunity bought. Doom Pool to 1D6+3D8+2D10.

Kaul:

Team D10, Living Data Stream D4 (DP D6->D8), Electrical Mastery D10, Electrical Resistance D10, Science Master D10: 1d10 4 1d4 2 1d10 2 1d10 6 1d10 4 Compromised Campus Systems D12: 1d12 8

I'll spend a D8 and D10 from the Doom Pool to add the D4 and a D10 to the total, for a total of 20, D10 effect. Creating the complication fails, but the Doom Pool is cut down. To reflect that there's also an impact on the environment (and slightly make up for no-selling this) I'll also spend a D8 to add a EMP Damaged Systems scene distinction, which you may find inspirational. All this knocks the Doom Pool down to 2D8+D10.

I make the current set of stress and complications at:

Technopathic Entity: Mental Stress D8

Kaul: Physical stress D4 (I neglected to use this, but TBH a D4 is frequently an ambiguous blessing anyway)
Spider-Woman 2099: Swarmed complication D12

Remaining characters this round:

PC: Rocket Storm, Syla, Aster, Spider-Woman 2099
GMC: Technopathic Entity, Big Controlled Technology

t@nya, who's next?

t@nya

Asgardian rainbow dragon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC:

Rocket next

Shawn_Hagen

Shawnya the Evil?
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rocket Storm bounced up to her feet and looked towards the Technopathic Entity. "Okay, shooting up all your little pals didn't work, so let's see what you make of this you Krutackin' viral cow!"

Rocket opened up fire with a crazed smile, aiming for what she figured were the weak points in the set up, thanks to the detailed instructions.

OOC:
Team D8, I Don't Know What You Mean by Overkill D8, Enhanced Reflexes D8, Weapon D10 (use my SFX to Double that to 2D10), Combat Expert D8, Liv's Asset D10

4d8 and 3d10
https://orokos.com/roll/719987
4d8+3d10: 42 [4d8=7, 6, 5, 7] [3d10=2, 9, 6]

So I got to remove the highest Die, that would be the 9 on the D10

So I'll add the 3D8s for a 20 and have a D10 effect

And let's have Spider Woman 2099 go next

Garyfury

Implacable Mustelid
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rocket Storm opens up her barrage on the experimental gear housing the Shistivari core, having correctly identified that, although the entity is a viral intelligence that has by now distributed itself over the whole campus infrastructure and is threatening to get bigger, there is certainly something right there in the room that can be shot. The thing tries to interfere with her aim by blowing out more components in the room that it has direct access to. Unfortunately for it, it's limited in this by the fact that so much equipment has already been fried by Kaul's EMP.

More wiring and circuitry from the scientists' apparatus blow out as Rocket's blast slam into it, and the core itself suffers scorching and scratching, although it still seems active.

(From where she's taking cover behind an upended bench, X!tectri gasps, "The core! No!" At the looks from various members of the Star Witch crew, she seems to remember that the contents of the device are, in fact, trying to make itself into a runaway technological monster, and (not incidentally) work grievous bodily harm on all present, and has the grace to look embarrassed.)

OOC: Rocket Storm:

I think the entity's Compromised Campus Systems asset is, ironically, too large in scope for it to apply here. Intangibility is reflecting that it is way bigger than just being in the core now, although that's definitely a useful physical target.

Team D10, EMP Damaged Systems D4(+D6 DP),Electrical Mastery D10,Intangibility D10,Menace Expert as 2D6: 1d10 5 1d4 1 1d10 4 1d10 8 1d6 6 1d6 3

Spending the D6 I just added to get a 17 with a D10 effect and 1 opportunity, to keep the stress down. So D10 physical stress to sit next to its D8 mental stress. I'll also activate its Grounded limit to step back both Electric Blast and Electrical Master to step up Doom Pool dice. Doom Pool goes to D8+D10+D12. Electrical Mastery to D8, Electrical Blast to D6.

Top Bottom