• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Middara: Final Fantasy meets Gloomhaven

AJ the Ronin

I am Loki
Validated User
Back in 2015 when this game first came out in KS I couldn't afford it. Now they are reprinting the first box set and adding 2 additional expansions.

What is Middara? Well it is a dungeoncrawl with Anime art and a heavily influenced JRPG story. The original box weighted 20 pounds and included a 500 pages story book (with branching stories and hidden content). As far as I can't tell, there aren't any legacy elements like Gloomhaven but it does include hidden content (in the already mentioned story book and cards).

It is an ambitious game and it scratch the same itch that games like Gloomhaven and KDM scratch but still feel different enough.

Anyone here backed the first KS? What's your experience.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm halfway through the videos and they are very good. The production values of the game are insane, and the story looks really cool. Not so sure about the combat system, I need to finish watching the videos and research a little more, seems too swingy for my taste.

AJ the Ronin

I am Loki
Validated User
For what I can gather, you usually roll a pair of dice. The dice are color coded and different colors add give better or worst results (I think purple are the worst dice, then white, then orange?). The dice have symbols depending on the weapon or spell add to the damage or effect if you roll them (it reminds me a little bit of Descent: Journey into the Dark 1st edition).

I think (and this is me making conjectures) that between the weapons abilities and skills you can mitigate or a little bit of the dice rolling.

BTW they posted the latest version of the rulebook in the KS page.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Looking at the video (I'm mid way the second part of the first adventure), the symbols only apply usually if the numbers in the dice get to the defense value of the target. But the defense values are pretty big and the numbers have a big range (the dice range is not 1-6, but broader), so heroes and monsters are failing a lot because of bad rolls in the video, and then suddenly a big roll comes and one monster manages takes half of the hit points of the hero in one hit...

I like dice, it just feels too swingy so far as the videos show. It may as you say and later on you get more abilities and equipment to mitigate the rolls, not sure.

Except for that, the rest looks great. I particularly like how they hid secret stuff in the book.

Top Bottom