• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Middara: Final Fantasy meets Gloomhaven

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
I like dice, it just feels too swingy so far as the videos show. It may as you say and later on you get more abilities and equipment to mitigate the rolls, not sure.
It doesn't seem too bad. A level-2 enemy like the Animate has 10 defence. Your default two dice without any weapons at all are Purple - averaging an 8 on two dice. So more often than not, you'd miss! But that's without Flanking or any gear and abilities.

Instead, if you were dual wielding a pair of mundane short swords, you're using two White dice (average 9). If you're Flanking, you get a +1 to hit - so on average, it's stabbing time (as ties go to the attacker). And each short sword let you re-roll a combat dice per turn! Still no abilities there, no consumables, no other items that might boost you up, etc.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
It doesn't seem too bad. A level-2 enemy like the Animate has 10 defence. Your default two dice without any weapons at all are Purple - averaging an 8 on two dice. So more often than not, you'd miss! But that's without Flanking or any gear and abilities.

Instead, if you were dual wielding a pair of mundane short swords, you're using two White dice (average 9). If you're Flanking, you get a +1 to hit - so on average, it's stabbing time (as ties go to the attacker). And each short sword let you re-roll a combat dice per turn! Still no abilities there, no consumables, no other items that might boost you up, etc.
Thanks for the explanation! I've finished the videos and the second mission feels much more normal, maybe the first mission is one of those days the dice only get you weird result after weird result.

I need to read the rules now, but this is looking very tempting.

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
I need to read the rules now, but this is looking very tempting.
On that front, the devs sponsored this video:

Hadn't watched anything from RTFM before, but this guy is a fantastic teacher! Sold me on the rules in a comfortable 30 minute viewing.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
That video was really good! Nice to see he also has Spirit Island and Gloomhaven, going to check those too.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, I'm pretty sold on the game/rules/campaign, but now every time they preview a new stretch goal is a more and more sexualized mini. I haven't seen many of the sculpts, can someone comment on that? Is just the promos or in general are all minis like that?

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
You could poke around the BGG gallery. I have act I and the KS1 promo box and I'd guess the minis about 40% cheesecake-adjacent?

AJ the Ronin

I am Loki
Validated User
I manage to land a second hand copy of the game. I'm playing the 2 character variant and finished the tutorial.

I must say it was fun but I found the Empowered mechanic too swingly.

While casting spells I had an item that auto empower spells and I found myself missing spells because I roll the skull. Heck, that became a factor in the last encounter of the tutorial.

That said, it was a blast and I'm definitely getting the other 2 Acts

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
Empowered feels like Power Attack to me. Reduce your chances of hitting for MOAR DAMAGE. I can see how something that would auto-Empower even when you didn't need it would be a bit annoying though! If it helps, I'm pretty sure you can use the various re-roll mechanics to re-roll the Empower die if you need to.

Top Bottom