• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Minecraft N00b] Questions

daHob

Hobgoblin of Joy
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Browse to %appdata%

The '.minecraft' folder is the root for everything.

Tanstaafl_au

Retired User
How do you find where the save files are? I can't seem to even locate the folder Minecraft is in on my computers. Not being able to find the proper folders has also kept me from exploring any of the mods or addons so far.
It depends on your operating system. On Win7 it will look something like
"C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft"
on WinXP more like
"C:\documents and settings\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft".
You may need to turn hidden files on.

Another way of getting there is to press start (Win7) or Start --> Run (Winxp) and type %appdata% which should open the right folder.

IMO it's better to move it from there. Either to a dropbox/cloud storage folder or somewhere easier accessable (e.g. your games folder). If you want to mod, you will end up needing to learn how to manage profiles anyway.

When you open the minecraft launcher, you should see on the lower right the profile section

Clicking edit or new will bring up the profile manager thingajig - Note it tells you the game directory path here too

You can change the folder path for your saves there. I use a different profile for mods plus for when my daughter logs on.
You can change the version of minecraft there too - useful for that mod you must have that only works with a previous version of minecraft.

I did finally get some redstone, lapis lazuli, and diamond last night. I only have about 20 redstone at this point, but it's enough I may start experimenting with some circuits while I keep building my mansion of cobblestone.
Optional Tip: Putting cobblestone into the furnace changes it to stone, and you can make stone bricks from it. My daughter thinks this looks prettier, and you get XP when you take something cooked from the furnace out (which is also why I like potatoes for a farm crop).

Another Note: There's an amazing amount of minecraft servers out there that have mini games and like for free (many pay to win sadly) which my daughter loves. I'm pretty meh about many of them but YMMV.

Last edited:

Falke

From the Deep!
Validated User
Thanks! All of that helps a lot. I will definitely merge my laptop save games and my desktop games now.

Hammel

Validated User
That's pretty much what I do with my win7 computer & laptop. Also to ensure my world I have spent so much time on isn't lost by computer HD failure.
I only have the save game files via a symbolic link to my dropbox, but it probably would be as easy to edit your profile in the minecraft folder and change the directory to your dropbox folder, assuming you have space for it in your cloud storage. My main saved game is over 200MB now, and with screen shots and like my app data folder for minecraft is almost 500MB.
Any idea on how upload speed of one's connection while using something like Dropbox might affect the gameplay? I have about 400 - 500 kb/s upload (more than adequate download, though). Are the files saved locally on the computer first, then uploaded, or is it all kinda simultaneous?

Last edited:

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
Is there a way to get Minecraft to use ram besides dedicated video card ram? I know about changing the JVM argument from -Xmx1G to -Xmx(whatever number you want)G, but as far as I can tell that only pulls from video card ram which I have very little of. My machine has 8 gig, no more than 2 of which should be in use and probably less than that, but if I change the JVM argument to anything above 1G (or even turn it on at 1G) Minecraft won't start.

Edit: I think I found my problem. For some reason I had 32 bit Java installed on my 64 bit machine. So it probably couldn't recognize all my ram.

Edit 3: That was indeed the issue things are running much better with more ram and oh gods oh gods there's a creeper on my gods damned roof.

Last edited:

Fhtagn

Vorpal Fluff Bunny
Validated User
Is there a way to get Minecraft to use ram besides dedicated video card ram? I know about changing the JVM argument from -Xmx1G to -Xmx(whatever number you want)G, but as far as I can tell that only pulls from video card ram which I have very little of. My machine has 8 gig, no more than 2 of which should be in use and probably less than that, but if I change the JVM argument to anything above 1G (or even turn it on at 1G) Minecraft won't start.

Edit: I think I found my problem. For some reason I had 32 bit Java installed on my 64 bit machine. So it probably couldn't recognize all my ram.

Edit 3: That was indeed the issue things are running much better with more ram and oh gods oh gods there's a creeper on my gods damned roof.
That's a very common problem, alas. Oracle's website, in its infinite wisdom, detects your browser's xxbit status, not that of your OS, and ignores what you tell it, and since browsers are all 32bit ... For those who might run into it in future, use the manual installer option and you'll be fine, but don't trust to site to choose correctly for you.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
Can someone explain, preferably in small non-technical words, how to install mods without using an alternate launch profile so I can use my mods while still running the most up to date version? If it makes a difference the mods I'm currently running are Forge Mod Loader, Minecraft Forge (not sure if I'll need those two if I can install them diferently. As I understand it Forge is why I can only run 1.7.2), bspkrsCore (needed to make Treecapitatior work(, Treecapitator, Damage Indicators, Inventory Tweaks, Mo' Villages, Multipage Chest, and Voxel Map.

Top Bottom