Mini painters of Tangency - does the color of your painting desk affect the light color?

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User
After many years of using a cramped coffee table I have the opportunity to buy myself a brand new desk/area specifically for painting. I'd like to get everything as close to perfect as I can. So, I'd like to know if the color of the desk affects the light bouncing off it? I plan on using a 'neutral white' bulb in the overhead light.

As niche and minor detail, I know, but as long as I'm getting to decide what my desk will be like, I thought why not?

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hmm. Thinking about it, I paint on either a neutral white drafting table or a fairly neutral speckled grey formica counter, usually with a bit of white or unbleached parchment paper underneath everything.

I would think a strongly colored environment would tend to affect color perception while painting. I haven’t tested this, though.

CrazyIvan

C. different
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It does a little bit, but I paint on either a cutting board or puppy pad, so I don't notice. But like, if I put minis on my desk in the office, they are notably warmer toned.

AegonTheUnready

Friend to kittens everywhere
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Gideon

Validated User
I'd imagine so, but don't hold me to that. Your light, on the other hand? Huge difference. Although I'm not sure what "neutral white" means per se.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature#Categorizing_different_lighting
http://www.westinghouselighting.com/color-temperature.aspx

I've been wanting to buy a bulb/lamp with a color temperature closer to daylight myself.
Yeah, I've got an army that is predominantly Altdorf Guard Blue. When I take it to my wargames club and set it up in the afternoon I'm pretty happy that it is the same colour that I have painted on my desk. But at some point towards evening, when the club lighting starts to dominate the natural light, to my eyes, the colour changes significantly so that it's not even close to the colour I think it is. It seems to just suddenly flip from blue to purple/indigo, with no sort of middle ground.

Anopheles

I draw bugs
Validated User
I use a desk blotter pad, sometimes with pallet paper on top (separate so I can move it around). This gives me a nice white surface and reflects light well. My actual desk is a dark brown wood finish but it never interferes.

My lamp uses a natural white light bulb. I have found I sometimes need to over exaggerate some highlights to compensate for darker rooms and store set ups.

Crumbs

Validated User
Yes it does. Light reflection and all that jazz. Your desk lamp though makes a much more significant impact.

Top Bottom