Mini Painting Rookie Style

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'll agree with Fruitsmack!; practice is key.

Also, for me personally, it's all about knowing when to quit. I can paint for about an hour or so before my mind starts to wander and my quality starts to slip. Therefore I'll paint for a while and then quit for the night.

This may sound obvious, but it isn't; painting is fun, but if you want good results you shouldn't try to force yourself to do it for too long...

CosmicCowboy

Wanted: Dead or Alive
Validated User
Don't forget "The Dip" method. Paint with bright colors, then dip in Minwax Satin Teudor. Nice, quick shading on minis.

edit: Why not sticky this thread? It's a topic that seems to come up on a regular basis.

Ubermonkey

Certainly a human
RPGnet Member
Find supplies that you are comfortable using. Just because Jacob Nielsin uses this brand of paint or that brush doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Make sure to wash your minis before painting, since a residue can be left on the surface of the mini from the mold process which means paint doesn't take well.

Use primer (I use GW spray primer) as it helps get an even undercoat.

Settle on your own style (this takes a little time).

TickTockMan

Validated User
Do you generally use a white or black for your primer? I have read stuff that reommends one, and condemns the other, but on both sides of the fence. All the Rackham Confrontation stuff uses white, and most of the GW seems to use black.

It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge is in this forum....

CyanideBreathmint

Haters gonna rotate.
Validated User
TickTockMan said:
Do you generally use a white or black for your primer? I have read stuff that reommends one, and condemns the other, but on both sides of the fence. All the Rackham Confrontation stuff uses white, and most of the GW seems to use black.

Black Primer is a real good cheat for quick rank and file. Spots you miss on the undersides appear to be shadowed from the 3ft away, and it's really darker, which suits the style of WHFB and WH40K.

White primer makes colors appear brighter, but any blacklining you'll have to do manually and it's a bit of a bitch. I prefer black primer to white, but I do understand that some more translucent pigments (red, yellow) look sludgy and dark.

Me? I cheat a little. I drybrush a very little white over a black-primed mini to bring out detail without losing the dark recesses.

Water down your paints. You want it to be the consistency of milk. Paint right out of the pot is too thick and obscures details if put on too thick. Milk-consistency (or thin syrup) is good. It covers the primer enough, and dries thin, and when you're confident enough you can wet-on-wet it.

Also, thinning it down even more that the pigment saturation becomes translucent is very good for inking. You may need to add a very little detergent to make it flow smoothly (I hear floor wax works).

Also. I buy Citadel for painting - they have excellent inks and metallics - but I'm also an acrylics painter, so I tend to get HUGE tubes of white and other staple colors; stuff that isn't Chapter-colors and doesn't need to be EXACT (flesh tones, browns, greens), and just use acrylic medium and water to thin it down to minis-workability.

A large tube of white acrylic paint (I use Daler-Rowney) lasts you a lot more than a pot of Skull White ever will, and it's more concentrated and doesn't dry out as fast.

- Mel

Ubermonkey

Certainly a human
RPGnet Member
TickTockMan said:

I use either black if I'm doing darker colours, layered highlights (like white) or metals. I use yellow (GW Bubonic brown) for lighter colours, red and yellow.

I don't use white since it tends to make things look a little dayglow.

CrazyIvan

C. different
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I use white primer, as I tend to like the colors I put on to be brighter and stronger than black primer will give me. The exception is if I want large amounts of shade and black areas, where I will prime black.

They both have their benefits and drawbacks, and it takes awhile to get a feel for it. But *especially* if you're looking at using Red or Yellow as a major color, I'd seriously consider white primer.

Zweihander

The Play's the Thing
Validated User
I found that GW's mini painting book has been pretty handy, if you want to shell the $25 to get it. It has useful tips, techniques and a solid list of tools. It also has a good, if common sense, solution for painting bright colors on black primed minis.

TickTockMan

Validated User
Yeah, I ahve heard there are some mini-painting guides out htere that come with instructional videos and practice minis. If the forum thinks it is worth it, I will definitley shell out the dough for a guide.

It would probably help me one way or another.

Top Bottom