• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mini Painting Rookie Style

ModernKiwi

The 1% of RPG.net
Validated User
I have seen washes used as both the shading and the colour over a white base, and it can look rather nice. If I can dig up a link I will add it here.

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
Yes it can work quite well. The idea is to help a color show up without having to do multiple coats over black to make it appear at all. Also the lighter color primer will make it more vibrant as well as give you more control over that vibrancy.
You need black to give them depth and shadow, but not to kill your color pallette.
Where does the black come into it? I thought the idea was white primer, purple wash, purple base coat? (for a bright purple effect)

Rushputin

Trapped in Despondos!
You're turned around. He's talking black primer vs. white primer for bright colors, which is totally how it is.

What you're thinking is White Primer, purple wash in the shadows, purple wash everywhere. Doing purple paint over a purple wash... probably won't do much.

On the subject of washes:
- I get a lot of mileage out of mixing the washes. They give me really nuanced colors.
- I don't like doing straight wash out of the bottle. I do a mix of 3:3:2 Water / Wash / Matte Medium (with the washes generally being 2:1 of one color to another)

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
You're turned around. He's talking black primer vs. white primer for bright colors, which is totally how it is.
Well, yeah, I know that's how it is.

What you're thinking is White Primer, purple wash in the shadows, purple wash everywhere. Doing purple paint over a purple wash... probably won't do much.
I didn't think it would do much, which is why I asked about it, it seemed like an odd idea. I think I'm going for a standard White primer/Purple Basecoat/Deep Purple Wash/Lighter Purple Highlight anyway :)

Rushputin

Trapped in Despondos!
I didn't think it would do much, which is why I asked about it, it seemed like an odd idea. I think I'm going for a standard White primer/Purple Basecoat/Deep Purple Wash/Lighter Purple Highlight anyway :)
Solid. Though I'd suggest considering doing the highlight before the wash: I find it allows the wash to smooth the transition between the undercoat and the highlight.

Caudex

Validated User
What a lovely thread.
I've just started doing my first miniatures painting since, oh, about 12 years ago, and this is a goldmine of information.
Thanks to one and all.

It's been very odd, starting painting as a kind-of beginner again, coming across issues that I remember having years ago... and then desperately trying to remember what on earth it was I used to do about them.

Daveismyhero

Validated User
The subject of painting eyes came up in a separate thread, and it was recommended that these links be added to this thread. :)

A technique I've heard recommended a thousand times thus far are the"Bette Davis eyes", here: http://www.reapermini.com/TheCraft/12

Mike McVey had a decent article for Chainmail up that dealt with faces/eyes here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.a...pp/pp20011218a
Thank you for the Bette Davis Eyes link; I had that technique suggested to me just yesterday.

The 2nd link isn't working for me, but this browser has been acting funky.

Top Bottom