• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mini Painting Rookie Style

deathwing

Validated User

First mini in two decades. Gonna try some skeletons later this week. Think this came out pretty good, though the drybrush was too heavy.
Sorry it's two months late, but if you feel the drybrush was a bit heavy and lightened things up too much, water down some ink or a wash and knock it back a bit with that.

Edit:- forgot to add that it does look good for the first mini in two decades.

Last edited:

Spectralent

Time for octopi
Validated User
So folks might know from other places, but I'm thinking about getting an airbrush. I've been recommended ones (with compressors) in the £80-100 sort of range, but I've also found ones in the £30-50 range and I'm wondering what the catch there is. Any recommendations?

deathwing

Validated User
So folks might know from other places, but I'm thinking about getting an airbrush. I've been recommended ones (with compressors) in the £80-100 sort of range, but I've also found ones in the £30-50 range and I'm wondering what the catch there is. Any recommendations?
I picked up a badger patriot 105 and as far as I can tell, its the base line workhorse that most people start with. It's really popular, moderately priced, and you can get the parts all over the place online.
For a compressor, I got a generic airbrush depot tc-20t, which is a tanked compressor. I was able to get started for well under 200 usd cables, hoses, connectors and all.
I have had it for a couple of years now and have enjoyed it, but not used it too much. I really need to practice a lot more. I mainly use it for priming, some basecoating, and sealing when I don't feel like using a rattle can.

Mortimer

Validated User
I was wondering, can a good mini painter 'repair' a mediocre-bad painters paintjob? Or once a mini is painted is it pretty much doomed to whatever quality it was given?

komradebob

Validated User
I was wondering, can a good mini painter 'repair' a mediocre-bad painters paintjob? Or once a mini is painted is it pretty much doomed to whatever quality it was given?
You can strip minis down to the bare metal and plastic and start over.

You can just add layers of paint on top ( not great, but quick).

durecellrabbit

Validated User
You can strip plastic? I thought most paint strippers tended to melt plastic minis?
Some do, so you should test first on a bit of sprue. I used surgical spirit from Boots but there are others that work. I believe the original Dettol works but you need to get all the paint off before using water to rinse or the paint turns into goo and in the US Simple Green is used.

Zibani

Validated User
How about reaper mini's specifically. I just recently screwed up a face of a mini I really want to look good.

Mortimer

Validated User
Had a thought the other day ... what would you guys recommend for say a large amount of cheap mini's to practice painting on? Given I don't really want to apply my current skill to any of my current mini's.

ModernKiwi

The 1% of RPG.net
Validated User
Take advantage of someone elses mistakes. There are heaps of abandoned army projects on ebay going for cheap. The GW starter sets for example are usually pretty cheap 2nd hand.

Top Bottom