• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mini Painting Rookie Style

Joe_G_Kushner

Validated User
Looking over some of the minis from various monthly threads...

I think one of the best rules you can have is thin your paints. Some great jobs with a lot of detail obscured by the paint job itself.

Joe_G_Kushner

Validated User
Had a thought the other day ... what would you guys recommend for say a large amount of cheap mini's to practice painting on? Given I don't really want to apply my current skill to any of my current mini's.
Bones. Reaper Bones. They are literally the price miniatures used to be back in the day. They're also in the middling range of detail and quality with huge durability.

Joe_G_Kushner

Validated User
I was wondering, can a good mini painter 'repair' a mediocre-bad painters paintjob? Or once a mini is painted is it pretty much doomed to whatever quality it was given?
Depends on how it was messed up. If the paint job is 'meh' but isn't one that's obscured the detail of the miniature for example, you can add layers and shading to it if you like the color scheme.

Joe_G_Kushner

Validated User
I picked up a badger patriot 105 and as far as I can tell, its the base line workhorse that most people start with. It's really popular, moderately priced, and you can get the parts all over the place online.
For a compressor, I got a generic airbrush depot tc-20t, which is a tanked compressor. I was able to get started for well under 200 usd cables, hoses, connectors and all.
I have had it for a couple of years now and have enjoyed it, but not used it too much. I really need to practice a lot more. I mainly use it for priming, some basecoating, and sealing when I don't feel like using a rattle can.
Amazon has the 105 right now for under $75 bones.

finmirage

Validated User
I was wondering, can a good mini painter 'repair' a mediocre-bad painters paintjob? Or once a mini is painted is it pretty much doomed to whatever quality it was given?
I'd say there's not really much point in repairing a bad paintjob. You can just basecoat over and paint the mini again. With an airbrush and some skill getting the mini up to base colors stage doesn't take more than maybe 10 minutes.

If the original basecoat is very thick, there's really nothing else you can do, but strip the paint, since detail is obscured. However you can get minis up to an ok tabletop quality with quite a thick paint layer so stripping, in my opinion is seldom necessary. If one want's to make nice paint job, it's better to use mint miniatures for that, because often you'd want to paint some parts separately and put the mini together only after all the parts are painted.

On the other hand, if the mediocre paint job means that yhe mini is painted ok, but maybe there're are more "phases" to be done, that could be reasonable. For instance you might have minis painted ok up to wash-stage, then an experienced painter, could go on from there highlighting, edge highlighting freehanding etc. To enhance the look. I still think there'd be not much point to this as the results are generally best, when I get to build the colors from the beginning.

Hope this helps?

Top Bottom