Miniature Assembly Duh Moment

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
All right feel free to laugh. I've been doing this miniature thing for years. Not decades like some guys, but still long enough. Today, I was working on my most dreaded hobby task: assmebly. I hate assembly. Like Hate assembly. It's one of the main components of the hobby that keeps me out of larger army battle games (coupled with lack of wargame community in my area).

So this afternoon I was putting together some GW Ghouls because, you know, everyone needs some ghouls from time to time. And these ghouls have one of my most hated traits of any type of miniatures, small feet. The portion that connects the model to the base is tiny. Cross section we're talking a cm or so, each. I typically dislike any model that cannot stand comfortably on its own base without being held, the glue as added reinforcement. Not these ghouls though. Anyway assembling 10 ghouls isn't the worst thing in the world, but holding them on their bases while the glue dries even 30 seconds at a time is annoying. Plus I have shaky hands so as the glue is drying it's getting little wiggles as I try to hold the models as firmly as possible. What to do?

I was thinking I'd love a rigid structure to put up around the ghouls to hold them in place without the need for me to hold them. I looked around my desk for something I could use. Inspiration! The box the ghouls came in! I cut them in strips, made folds about every 1/4" or so turns out exact science isn't needed, and a small piece of regular clear tape. I put the newly craft cardboard ring on my finger, glued the feet of the ghouls to the base, bases sitting on my desk, with the finger I have my crafted cardboard construction I place it on the ghoul to steady right where I want it, and slide the cardboard down around the base, and ghoul, make some minor adjustments and let it dry. Worked perfectly!

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
I do use super glue specifically gorilla super glue to assembly the models, then if there any gaps I fill it with liquid green stuff.

Petter Wäss

I am agape with fnords
Validated User
I too dislike holding minis in place :)
I tend to prop them up with various configurations of paint bottles to keep them steady

Codeine

Wolf-grey Adonis
Validated User
I do use super glue specifically gorilla super glue to assembly the models, then if there any gaps I fill it with liquid green stuff.
Plastic cement is so much better for this sort of thing. It melts the plastic so you get a literal bond, welding the pieces to each other. It also works rapidly enough that you don’t need to worry about holding things steady for any real length of time.

DeathbyDoughnut

a.k.a. Mr. Meat Popcicle
Validated User
Plastic cement is so much better for this sort of thing. It melts the plastic so you get a literal bond, welding the pieces to each other. It also works rapidly enough that you don’t need to worry about holding things steady for any real length of time.
I don't have issues with plastic parts breaking from each other which I infer is the reason for this response. Plastic cement is fine for low quality sculpts, but I haven't had great experiences with it as it tends to melt details which I am never happy about. I'd rather use my method of super glue and liquid green stuff filling. Last time I tried plastic cement I used GW plastic cement and it created a weird texture around where I used it. So I swore off plastic cement.

And plastic cement doesn't work so great when gluing models to apoxie sculpt or green stuff. I use texture stamps to create cool impressions of terrain with green stuff and apoxie sculpt.

CrazyIvan

C. different
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I too dislike holding minis in place :)
I tend to prop them up with various configurations of paint bottles to keep them steady
I do this too.

My recent insight was that modern GW kits fit *really* well together. Which means if your fit feels "funny", it's wrong.

OMAC 247

Tired of your nonsense
Validated User
I should set up an assembly service as I love putting models together, I find it oddly therapeutic.
I always use plastic glue to assemble plastic, either Revell Contacta, which comes with a very fine delivery tube or Tamiya Extra Thin which comes with it's own little brush.
I've not really encountered any problems, even assembling the Malifaux stuff which can have very fine pieces

Asmodai

Warrior Kobold
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For me it depends on the material. I hate working with super-glue, metal models and (worst of all) resin models - even if the results are worth it in the end. I'm perfectly happy to glue plastic models together with model cement though.

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
I should set up an assembly service as I love putting models together, I find it oddly therapeutic.
I always use plastic glue to assemble plastic, either Revell Contacta, which comes with a very fine delivery tube or Tamiya Extra Thin which comes with it's own little brush.
I've not really encountered any problems, even assembling the Malifaux stuff which can have very fine pieces
I've been using the Tamiya Extra Thin on Adeptus Titanicus stuff. Apart from the stench it works great.

-Thornhammer

Top Bottom