💀 Necro Miniatures with Interchangeable Parts - Ever done successfully?

Mortimer

Validated User
No, you'd pin some metal in one end and a minimagnet in the other.
Seems to be popular for attaching X-Wing ships to their stands to get adjustable ships.

Edit: fan solution.

Edit edit: heh, is the usual metal miniature not-lead-anymore stuff even magnetic? :p
I thought most 'non-lead' ones where some kind of pewter, but I maybe wrong.

Anyway, I was just having crazy dreams of ... 'if I could produce minis' but I'm sure I'll get over it later (I imagine putting magnets in them all would be alittle expensive?)

Last edited:

durecellrabbit

Validated User
Thinking about it Battlefront sell their plastic T-34s with magnets for swappable 76 and 85 turrets. I guess they do it to add value over PSC's cheaper T-34s.

Personally I don't find magnets expensive especially if you consider how much you save not buying another box of the models.

Darth Bathrobe

Large Herald at Large
Validated User
You'd have to have like metal miniatures for that?
Not at all. Metal miniatures are usually made from pewter, which is non-ferrous. In order to use magnetization for parts, you need to use magnets in addition to the parts (really small rare earth magnets aren't hard to get.) The big issue is that this often takes a bit of conversion work. An example in ABS plastic is that I was considering doing this with my Robotech Phalanx destroids. It would have entailed six magnets per miniature, one for each arm in both variants and two for the body of each destroid, as well as having to drill out each part enough to put the magnets in.

MjrTrauma

One of Everything
Validated User
The original Titans for GW's Adeptus Titanicus did exactly what you describe, c,1990 or so. We kept the weapons loose for new loadouts and in game battle damage.

Mortimer

Validated User
How well do the parts magnetize? Do they get knocked off easily if you move the miniature about? Do the magnets eventually lose their magnetism?

ModernKiwi

The 1% of RPG.net
Validated User
How well do the parts magnetize? Do they get knocked off easily if you move the miniature about? Do the magnets eventually lose their magnetism?
With neodymium magnets, they stay well attached - those things are amazingly strong for their size! They're dangerous to keep around small children and pets as if swallowed they can do quite a bit of harm to the intestinal tract - so if you get some keep the ones not used locked away.

Last edited:

IceShadow

Painting Fiend
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Neodymium don't lose their magnetism if they aren't directly damaged or overheated. Maybe 1% in ten years. See FAQ here (and this site is great for buying them too): http://www.kjmagnetics.com/faq.asp The magnets you would use usually run between $0.10 and $0.25 each.

Here's a guy magnetizing a WarMachine Warjack:

[video=youtube_share;N1VOH_wBJQY]http://youtu.be/N1VOH_wBJQY[/video]

I wouldn't use a Dremel and would just use a pin vice myself. And have! Just last week I actually magnetized my first 'jack.

One thing I did do was add a pin on the arms, and a corresponding hole. Then the arm won't "droop" under the weight of the arm and the small joint.

Last edited:

RatPunk

RISE UP!!
Validated User
As ModernKiwi says, the neodymium magnets are very strong for their size. Magnetizing miniatures is very easy once you get the hang of it. The biggest problem will likely be gluing the magnets in the right way so they attract each other instead of repel. One turned around magnet can be a real pain in the ass.

I've magnetized a few Space Marines and some Tyrannid Warriors. Lately, I've even magnetized some Flames of War AT guns to swap out with different bases. One of the keys is to have a variety of magnet sizes. I've got 3/16" for potential big jobs, and I've used 1/8" for most of the Tyrannid stuff, and 1/16" for the smaller work (such as the 15mm FoW stuff). The 1/16ths can be hard to work with because they're tiny, but the end result is more than worth it.

And as IceShadow says, they are really inexpensive and easy to buy in bulk.

Last edited:

Mortimer

Validated User
Interesting, seems like producing miniatures with them already in would abit questionable though (Do we still have warnings for Lead Miniatures? or are they no longer produced at all?)

Top Bottom