• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

MLP Fanfic Thread Mark III: Bonbon's Sweet Shop

Stryke

Bang and a Boom
Validated User
Thread one
Thread two

Welcome to the third MLP Fanfic thread where we discuss new fanfics, throw out recommendations, pimp our own work, look for improvement and discuss certain aspects of cartoon pony anatomy that should really never have been discussed.

RPGnetters who have done Pony Fanfic

In no particular order;

EsperDerek

Out in the Cold (One of the very best Twixie fics out there)
Letters, Letters, Letters
Midnight and Shimmer's Guide to Dating
Moonlight Over Midnight
The Nightmare Wars

Clavdivs

Ditzy Doo's Dismally Derpy Day
Dinky Debates Dexterity, Destiny and Dinner
The Stars, the Seal, and the Kraken

RK_Striker_JK_5

The Elements of Harmony and the Saviour of Worlds
Side Stories of First Contact
Spanner in the Works
Ill Communication

Tumbleweed

What Do You Do With a Drunken Unicorn? (Somewhat wrong but hysterical)
Learning Curves
Vengeance and Fashion (Great episode like fic that easily deserves it's 6-star)
Twilight Sparkle vs. Bridle-Zilla!
Vamp it Up!

SprintF aka Cloud Wander

The Rummy Business of Old Blooey
Tonight I Shall Be Laughter (Winner #1 from the Happy Luna competition!)
Joshing

Alex Warlorn

Discorded Ponies POV Series

Lady Moondancer

Continuum
Canterlot Follies

JohnBiles

My(stara's) Little Ponies: Friendship is Adventuring

Azimer the Mad

School Daze
The Three Hooves
Killing Mary Sue
The Long Roll of Years
Choices

Ithaeur

The Running of Lyra (Lyra is best pony)
The Shadow Over Hoofsmouth

Stryke

Random Elements

cptrichardson

Scootamum

Underscore

The Black Company in Equestria

Sereg

An Earth Pony's Guide to Magic

Morne the Bearkiller

Night Errantry

I'm sure I've missed people out as this was based on the last time I did this. If you want to be listed here, want a story added or removed (though I think keeping to max 5 each is fair) or want a link redirected then please let me know.

Last edited:

CLAVDIVS

Postmodern Futurist
Validated User
Welcome to the third MLP Fanfic thread where we discuss new fanfics, throw out recommendations, pimp our own work, look for improvement and discuss certain aspects of cartoon pony anatomy that should really never have been discussed.
I was really hoping we'd use the eleven posts the last thread had room for, so it wouldn't end on... that note. :eek:

(I'll take "Questions I Regret Asking" for 500, Alex...)

Let's not forget the sequel to Derpy Day, Dinky Debates Destiny and Dinner.

I still crack a smile when I remember how much fun I had writing that. :D

Also, here's a link to Derpy Day on FIMfic. The EqD discussion is basically dead, and it links to the older Google Docs copy (I've made slight edits, grammar and typo fixes and such, since migrating to FIMfic but haven't kept it up to date on Docs).

Looking through my favorites, it seems you've already covered plenty of ground, but I thought I'd toss out a recommendation for the Dresden Fillies series (a Dresden Files crossover) by psychicscubadiver: Strange Friends (complete) followed by False Masks (in progress). It really seems to hit that crossover sweet spot for me: It feels as much like a Dresden Files story about about Harry meeting ponies as it does a Friendship is Magic story about the ponies meeting Harry. Writing and characterization is great all around, and it really helps that he not only gets Harry's dialog right (it's hilarious watching him try to snark at ponies who get absolutely none of his pop culture references), but also nails his inner monologue while writing in first person like the books.

Azimer the Mad

Knight of Chaos
Validated User
There's also Choices, the college romance drama with a hint of time travel, the School Daze sequel A Nightmare in Ponyville, and my Silver age Marvel Tribute Cupcakes and Champions.

My recommendation is the incredibly researched The Son of the Emperor, where Equestria occupies the New World and a young Twilight goes from the slave trade to the filly companion of young Napoleon II.

LadyMoondancer

Validated User
I'm also kicking around an idea for an ancient Greece based story, with a proper pantheon of pony gods headed by Celestia and Luna. But then the gods all start fighting, of course, because that is what Greek gods do when they're not busy seducing mortals.

The Mane 6 are mostly regular mortals who have to deal with the fallout.

Azimer the Mad

Knight of Chaos
Validated User
I'm also kicking around an idea for an ancient Greece based story, with a proper pantheon of pony gods headed by Celestia and Luna. But then the gods all start fighting, of course, because that is what Greek gods do when they're not busy seducing mortals.

The Mane 6 are mostly regular mortals who have to deal with the fallout.
I thoroughly approve. Perhaps the other gods represent other races, like diamond dogs & minotaurs?

Stryke

Bang and a Boom
Validated User
Speaking of plot bunnies I've really been wanting to do something with Tartaurus, yes Tartaurus. The idea of a place in Equestria not being some kind of pun is just too weird for me.

My problem is while I've got lots of entertaining ideas (well to me anyway) for the former Minotaur homeland now prison for the absolute worst villains and monsters to ever walk, crawl or squelch across the land my issue is that's more of an rpg setting book rather than an actual story.

I've got a half idea for Iron Will doing a runner and Fluttershy having to do his tour of duty as a guard there instead, but while there's a reasonably amusing setup in that possibly I've got no idea how to turn that from there into an actual narrative arc.

RK_Striker_JK_5

Validated User
How's about Iron Will is doing a tour of duty there. Fluttershy goes to visit him but they're both ambushed and have to fight their way out of it?

acksed

Validated User
Need ideas for the story I've been stuck on. It's basically a grown-up Dash's account of all the stuff they weren't allowed to put in the cartoon; the setup is that she's been hired as a technical consultant on the animated account of their adventures. But what kind of inappropriate-but-in-character things would they get up to?

Top Bottom