• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mongoose, and reactions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ettin

Your Problematic Fave
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, after recent events some people have been thinking of not buying Mongoose products! I am curious about who is following through on this, or what people who haven't heard about it yet think of all this.

Basically...

• In a recent Tangency thread criticising James Desborough some users were upset that Mongoose publishes some of his stuff.*
• RPGnet poster MalaDicta started a petition on the topic.
• Mongoose noticed, and decided to post a poll about it with a sarcastic topic and an excluded middle. An early cache is here; later a "middle" option was added, and a while after the thread was quietly deleted.
• MalaDicta later had a conversation with Sprange, who accused her of being "immoral", "lying", and destroying Mongoose, among other things (transcript here).

That is about where we are at! Responses so far have been... mixed. MalaDicta herself has been receiving anonymous threatening emails since she started the petition. Desborough has tweeted that those threats are "not genuine" and it's her fault for leaving herself open to trolls (original feed is protected now). Gareth Skarka posted a defense in the Mongoose thread (couldn't find a cache of that) which led to an argument with Sarah Darkmagic in which he called her an "odious little toad" and openly threatened her and her husband. There might be some other commentary but if there is I've missed it.

So basically yeah, this sure is a thing.

*Note: This is a thread about Mongoose, things they do and the reactions to it, not the original mess. JamesCat said no more Desborough talk so if you wander off-topic you are going to make him a very sad man. And don't make personal attacks. Against anyone. Be a bro.

Cannibal Smiliest

Smacking around John Sumbitch
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, after recent events some people have been thinking of not buying Mongoose products! I am curious about who is following through on this, or what people who haven't heard about it yet think of all this.

Basically...

• In a recent Tangency thread criticising James Desborough some users were upset that Mongoose publishes some of his stuff.*
• RPGnet poster MalaDicta started a petition on the topic.
• Mongoose noticed, and decided to post a poll about it with a sarcastic topic and an excluded middle. An early cache is here; later a "middle" option was added, and a while after the thread was quietly deleted.
• MalaDicta later had a conversation with Sprange, who accused her of being "immoral", "lying", and destroying Mongoose, among other things (transcript here).

That is about where we are at! Responses so far have been... mixed. MalaDicta herself has been receiving anonymous threatening emails since she started the petition. Desborough has tweeted that those threats are "not genuine" and it's her fault for leaving herself open to trolls (original feed is protected now). Gareth Skarka posted a defense in the Mongoose thread (couldn't find a cache of that) which led to an argument with Sarah Darkmagic in which he called her an "odious little toad" and openly threatened her and her husband. There might be some other commentary but if there is I've missed it.

So basically yeah, this sure is a thing.

*Note: This is a thread about Mongoose, things they do and the reactions to it, not the original mess. JamesCat said no more Desborough talk so if you wander off-topic you are going to make him a very sad man. And don't make personal attacks. Against anyone. Be a bro.
Well, I wasn't going to sleep tonight anyways.

LET THE WILD RUMPUS BEGIN

-Darren MacLennan

Kai Tave

Validated User
So we're clear and there's no confusion on the matter, Ettin sent a private message to the moderators requesting permission to start this thread up in light of the last one on the matter being closed and he was granted it. Speaking both as a moderator and a regular user I would very much like this thread to avoid having to be closed as well, and am issuing this blanket cautionary message to any who feel like participating in it; be on your best behavior, as we are keeping a close eye on this thread and will take a dim view of it turning ugly.

Jack

Wave Man
Validated User
Gareth apologized for getting so worked up btw, and explained some of the erroneous stuff getting thrown his way that led to it. It was, IMO, pretty inflammatory stuff. Doesn't excuse anything, but sheds some additional light on it.

RobMuadib

Banned
/IBTL!

If this is thread about mongoose, why include the crap about Skarka and Darkmagic? (Her hubby already white-knighted for her with plenty of internet tough-guy shiz)

And it's bullshit and shrill concern trolling far beyond any merit it had.

To summarize, I like Mong Trav, Legend, and their other games, much much much more than I care about anyone's wind-mill tilting about issues, relevance/importance notwithstanding. Besides, no one in Tangency reads TRO anyway.

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User
I've thrown my mongoose books in the trash and my FLGS is seriously considering not carrying stock from the company now based on this.

"Concern trolling" indeed!

Tactless Armiger

Zvegdoooooor!
Validated User
I'm surprised they responded at all. Frankly, everything would have blown over if it weren't for a progressively hilarious series of mistakes made by people who are supposed to be industry professionals.

Notice that Steve Jackson Games, who also got copies of the petition, haven't responded. In similar situations, WOTC has actually investigated stuff. I think it goes to show why SJGames and WOTC are strong industry leaders - they know to hire PR guys.

beanpop

Banned
I was expressing MY OPINION, you odious little toad. That's all. I wasn't "shutting down dissent", saying "people can't talk" or any of the other ridiculous charges you leveled at me, and if you had bothered to ASK, you might have understood that.

Now #%&@ off. For good. And you and hubby better start hoping that I'm not the vindictive prick you portray me as.
Wow. I am curious, what is this guy's connection to the Mongoose thing?

BlackHat_Matt

RPGnet Member
Banned
/IBTL!

If this is thread about mongoose, why include the crap about Skarka and Darkmagic? (Her hubby already white-knighted for her with plenty of internet tough-guy shiz)

And it's bullshit and shrill concern trolling far beyond any merit it had.

To summarize, I like Mong Trav, Legend, and their other games, much much much more than I care about anyone's wind-mill tilting about issues, relevance/importance notwithstanding. Besides, no one in Tangency reads TRO anyway.
You've already been admonished, at least, for trolling Tangency. We get that you don't like it. Noted. Now move on.

In fact, move on out of this thread. Don't post in it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom