Monsterpocalpse returns!

gribble

Validated User
The starter box comes with 6 cardboard buildings which have a special ability that allows you to field more than 4 of them (and no other abilities). So that technically mitigates things a bit, but yeah, I feel you.
Yeah, I know... but if that is the only ability those cardboard buildings have (and especially if they don't turn hazardous when destroyed), I expect players will not want to use them unless they have to.

Phonzy

not arguing that with you
Validated User
Yeah, I know... but if that is the only ability those cardboard buildings have (and especially if they don't turn hazardous when destroyed), I expect players will not want to use them unless they have to.
Page 13 of the rulebook has the stat card as an illustration. Def 5 no hazard filler. :(

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
Was that sarcasm? I can’t tell.
Ouch... over $100 for one of each building??? Nevermind that you'll typically want to bring 12 buildings per player... which means $200 or so (more if you want a lot of the expensive ones) just for the buildings you will want?
And frankly, regardless of improved sculpting, they won't look as good as the old buildings in 95% of the cases (top notch painters excepted) due to the lack of transparency for windows and things. Even if I were keen on buying, assembling and painting all new resin figures, this announcement would kill any interest I had. :(
I'm prone to poorly writing what I meant, so I don't know if I screwed up or you're being sarcastic. And caffine. I lacked caffeine :p

Last edited:

gribble

Validated User
Was that sarcasm? I can’t tell.

I'm prone to poorly writing what I meant, so I don't know if I screwed up or you're being sarcastic. And caffine. I lacked caffeine :p
I'm not being sarcastic in the slightest. I'm disappointed (and frankly a little disgusted) by the pricing for the new version.
The people who complained about the pricing of the old random booster model as the main issue against buying into MonPoc will not be happy about this. An old booster box got you 12 buildings and 48 units (and I'm pretty sure at least one of each type of building and unit) for around 3/4 of the price of 2 each of the buildings in the new game... which come unassembled, unpainted and without all the cool transparent bits. Not a good deal at all.

warlordgarou

Validated User
Ouch... over $100 for one of each building??? Nevermind that you'll typically want to bring 12 buildings per player... which means $200 or so (more if you want a lot of the expensive ones) just for the buildings you will want?
And frankly, regardless of improved sculpting, they won't look as good as the old buildings in 95% of the cases (top notch painters excepted) due to the lack of transparency for windows and things. Even if I were keen on buying, assembling and painting all new resin figures, this announcement would kill any interest I had. :(
Yep. Looks like $12.99 MSRP for the Industrial Complex, through $23.99 MSRP for the Skyscraper. Figure about 14.99 or 17.99 as an average price, and it pretty much means that, while you can use the free card buildings in the starter, the player who can afford to drop an extra couple hundred for deluxe buildings will have a significant advantage. Add in a lack of a 2-player starter, and what buzz was building locally is already fizzling out.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
How to play video released for those of us who learn better by watching and didn't play before:

[video=youtube_share;VjS2uEKGEKs]https://youtu.be/VjS2uEKGEKs[/video]

Phonzy

not arguing that with you
Validated User
Repair Truck rezzes buildings now (7:16). This is a significant change from their old action that heals Mechanical monsters for 1 damage. Maybe there's a building that does it now so you can only get the 1 point instead of running up a whole squad of Repair Trucks and having them all use their actions to heal for 5? Or maybe this is part of a general trend of making healing even harder to come by than it used to be? Either way, it does ease some of the pressure to bring multiples of particular buildings, at least a little.

Last edited:
Top Bottom