• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Moon Design Joins Chaosium Ownership Group

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
Re: Moon Design Takes Over Chaosium

My interest in Runequest is almost exclusively non-Gloranthan. It's great that they're going to keep putting out non-Glorantha stuff for RQ6 and that the new RQ book will be running on RQ6's rules. But I am disappointed that there wont be a non-Glorantha, setting agnostic RQ6 rulebook in print. I mean, I've got a well-worn copy, and a PDF, and plan to pick up a second physical copy for my next campaign. So, it's not like I'll personally be short of material. For new RQ players not interested in Glorantha? Not ideal.
Just use the RQ6 book you have, I'm not sure what the problems is. I've been using the same RQ2 for 34 years.

Caldorian

RPGnet Member
Validated User

Just use the RQ6 book you have, I'm not sure what the problems is. I've been using the same RQ2 for 34 years.
Again, it's mainly about new players coming to RQ. I don't see why Chaosium couldn't choose the same approach like Moon Design did with HQ or Green Ronin with AGE.

RosenMcStern

Rokari Wizard
Validated User

I do hope you'll make them available POD. PDF-only doesn't work for me and I would very much like to buy Merrie England.
Just to finish hijacking the thread: Merrie England is currently on my PC desktop in Quark Express format, waiting for the layout guy to be less overworked than now so that he can convert it to InDesign, remove the CB7 logo, fix a couple typos and re-package the book in a lulu-compatible format.

Does this put an end to people's trepidation?

Dhammaṭṭho said:
Again, it's mainly about new players coming to RQ. I don't see why Chaosium couldn't choose the same approach like Moon Design did with HQ or Green Ronin with AGE.
You have a point here. Make sure Rick Meints reads this statement of yours.

Last edited:

Stone-Tharp

Validated User

Right, and as I said, I'm personally set for books. No issue there. But lack of a setting-neutral, in-print version is not great for getting new players into the game. At least, it's not great for getting the new, potentially interested players that I know into the game. So, basically, this is my point:

Dhammaṭṭho;19247110 said:
Now, if Chaosium decided to have a setting-neutral, in-print version of Runequest alongside a Gloranthan one, I'd be ecstatic about that. The rest of the announcement was all good news and this would alleviate the specific aspect of the arrangement with which I am disappointed.

Last edited:

Baulderstone

Validated User
I agree with you on this particular subject, but you should make this point known to the new Chaosium/MD management. They have their own forum at glorantha.com, or you can say this on the TDM forum. They read it, at least sometimes. There is no reason they should not discuss this subject with you and other fans.
I've already mentioned it on the other forums, but thanks for the practical suggestion. Phasing out the current book is a long-term process, so there is plenty of time of time to reverse direction on it. It's ultimately a business decision. I'm staying a customer of TDM, Moon Design and Chaosium however it shakes out.

I have seen photos of the two owners of TDM at GenCon along the other Chaosium guys. Their faces did not look like those of people who are having their operations "disrupted".
Oh, I don't think Moon Design is going to screw over Nash and Whitaker. Disrupted might be an overly negative term.

I know that Moon Design is good people, and everyone involved here is friends. I know that even if they don't do everything exactly the way that would please me most, they are going to make some great products that I will buy. I'll make my suggestions, and they can take or leave them. I'm a huge fan of Moon Design and The Design Mechanism, and I am not going to stop buying their products over it.

[/quote]Loz has been extremely reactive during the day, providing information as soon as possible. Given that I suspect he is posting all this from a phone at GenCon, and that he cannot anticipate announcements due to NDA with Moon or Chaosium, this is way more than most publishers would do in such a situation. I do not think they are doing things too slowly.[/QUOTE]

I'm not faulting Loz. He has done a great job trying to stay on top of everyone's concerns. It was the initial statement that left RQ fans wondering where we stood. Anyway, it doesn't matter who's fault it is. The statement was a bit vague. Things have been clarified. I shouldn't have really brought it up.

GM Joe

GMing Since 1982
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Just to finish hijacking the thread: Merrie England is currently on my PC desktop in Quark Express format, waiting for the layout guy to be less overworked than now so that he can convert it to InDesign, remove the CB7 logo, fix a couple typos and re-package the book in a lulu-compatible format.

Does this put an end to people's trepidation?
I, for one, welcome our new Lulu overlords. :)

It'll be an insta-buy from me as soon as it's available.

Last edited:

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User

If the rules and setting material are clearly differentiated in the forthcoming re-Glorantha-ized version of RQ, then I think that non-Glorantha RQers will not face a huge problem with using RQ with their own settings or other RQ settings (e.g. Mythic Britain). Sure, we'll be getting some, or perhaps a lot, of material that we don't want. But that cost to individual players (which is, I think, relatively minor) is overwhelmed by the benefit to RQ as a game, namely, far greater distribution and visibility (via Chaosium) than it will enjoy in the future.

And who knows, maybe Chaosium will decide to make/keep the setting-neutral version of the rules available alongside Glorantha-ized RQ in the future...

Baulderstone

Validated User

And who knows, maybe Chaosium will decide to make/keep the setting-neutral version of the rules available alongside Glorantha-ized RQ in the future...
Deciding not to do another print run of something really is a simple thing to reverse course on at some point.

Lawrence Whitaker

Validated User

So a seventh edition of RuneQuest not sure how I feel about that!:confused:
You should be doing a happy dance, Darran.

It's NOT a seventh edition of RQ. It's the RQ6 rules in a standalone book, with Glorantha content to tie it back into the setting much as HQ Glorantha does, or 13th Age in Glorantha will. You don't need to reinvest in the rules if you don't want to, but knowing how much you like your 'Old Skool' Glorantha, you might actually find this to be the book you're looking for.

Stone-Tharp

Validated User

Deciding not to do another print run of something really is a simple thing to reverse course on at some point.
Indeed. And hopefully they will be open to the possibility if they see folks expressing the desire for one.

Top Bottom