• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Moon Design Joins Chaosium Ownership Group

ShannonA

RPG Historian
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Re: Moon Design Takes Over Chaosium

Chaosium has always had the problem of "Basic Roleplaying" for their core system being a pretty terrible name from a marketing perspective. WoW would have been much better. :cool:
Basic Universal Role Playing System

It's even got a nifty abbreviation.

Sandra
Validated User

Personally I'm calling it RQG for now, because of the perfect parallel with HQG. I suspect that even if "RQ7" becomes the more popular reference (and I think it's likely), enough people will know what I mean when I write "RQG" that we can muddle through. :)

One thing I'm certain of is that it will not be called "RQ" by anyone except Chaosium & co. Just look at that new game from WotC: they call it "D&D" without qualifiers, but everyone else calls it "D&D 5e" (or some variation involving a 5) because disambiguation is not optional! People wanting to discuss these games insist on it. :)
Well, the back of the books say fifth edition.
But is is a killing word?

Rather annoyingly, it seems to me that most people are calling it just "5e", as if there is no other game in the world that is currently on its fifth edition, thus re-ambiguating the title in contexts where it may not be clear that D&D is the game under discussion.
This is partly because of trademarks. 5e isn't a trademarked string.

Vile

Dreamscape Designer
Validated User

This is partly because of trademarks. 5e isn't a trademarked string.
Right - and everybody knows what you mean when you put out adventures labelled "5E". That OGL ain't never going back in the box. ;)

Croquemitaine

Validated User

You know, it's because they're not re-writing the game that I question the current plan. RQ6 is already written, laid-out, and battletested as a published piece of media. Why not simply continue to publish it (with the company branding reverting to Chaosium where necessary, a minor graphical tweak) and then release the Glorantha material as a seperate setting book? It's less work, and has the added benefit of not requiring existing RQ6 players who want to run Gloranthan campaigns to purchase the rules all over again.

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User

You know, it's because they're not re-writing the game that I question the current plan. RQ6 is already written, laid-out, and battletested as a published piece of media. Why not simply continue to publish it (with the company branding reverting to Chaosium where necessary, a minor graphical tweak) and then release the Glorantha material as a seperate setting book? It's less work, and has the added benefit of not requiring existing RQ6 players who want to run Gloranthan campaigns to purchase the rules all over again.
Spot on.

Mankcam

Validated User

Legend 2nd edition? :D

That might not be possible depending on who actually owns the trademark on it, but it would be apropos! They wouldn't even have to do anything else, since everything other than the name is already TDM's own IP.

Woah, I just realised what that sentence I just wrote means...!

Think about it: all they're losing is a license to use the "RuneQuest" name. And unlike the case with MG RuneQuest II, there is no licensed setting material that they're losing. It's already a generic fantasy system, just like Legend! It's only the name that is preventing RQ6 from being 100% independent of licensing constraints. Unless the writing contract they've signed with Chaosiumoon Design transfers IP rights to all previous similar rules TDM have written and prohibit re-developing the rules from scratch (both or either stipulation would be quite unusual for a write-for-hire contract), they still own everything about RQ6 apart from the name and picking a new one is the only thing TDM would have to do to prepare to republish RQ6 unchanged.

So yeah, maybe a "Legend" v2 is what will happen in a year's time? There's hope that "RQ6" will live on as an in-print stand-alone toolkit book, yet...
Yeah this is an excellent idea, although I doubt Mongoose will cough up the 'LEGEND' brand for Design Mechanism. I agree with RosenMcStern that just 'QUEST' may be the most apt title. I would love to see a generic 'Quest' book as well as a RQG book, it just seems logical to me.

eggdropsoap

Cosmic Egg
Validated User

Simply because years ago Chaosium lost control over RuneQuest and were forced to split it from the setting it was created for; they're leaping at the chance to undo that damage.

In the short term there will be people who object, but those who see it as damage inflicted by Avalon Hill will recognise why they're so keen to reunite the game with its original setting.

Since Loz and Pete have assured us that the rules will still be available without Glorantha, there is nothing really left to worry about, unless keeping the specific name "RuneQuest" separate from Glorantha is important to someone.

Mankcam

Validated User

Yep, that makes the most sense to me

Lemurion

Validated User

Because even though it's less work on one level, it's more expensive on another. Making minor changes to the core rulebook and laying out a separate setting book is almost definitely going to be less expensive and less work than laying out a new combined volume of rules and setting. However, writing out a new set of core rules combined with a setting would be even more work.

Having said that, the real issue is probably printing costs, and one print run of a thicker book is less expensive than two print runs of two thinner books. Two books would be better if they were doing PDF/POD through DTRPG, but they're doing offset print runs so the economics are very different.

Top Bottom