• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Moon Design Joins Chaosium Ownership Group

Corum

Validated User
Re: Moon Design Takes Over Chaosium

I hope that they keep a setting-neutral version of the rules available in print. I also hope that the merger doesn't introduce all of Chaosium's problems into Runequest. Runequest 6 is nearly perfect as a low fantasy rule set. I don't want it ruined by Glorantha, ducks, or any of the myriad of terrible ideas that Chaosium put into Call of Cthulhu 7ed.

Last edited:

Vile

Dreamscape Designer
Validated User

Since Loz and Pete have assured us that the rules will still be available without Glorantha, there is nothing really left to worry about, unless keeping the specific name "RuneQuest" separate from Glorantha is important to someone.
I don't think that's been made explicit by The Design Mechanism so we can't assume a setting-neutral version of RQ6 is a given, although I agree that would be the best way of minimising the disruption caused by the change. I see the benefits of re-assigning the name RuneQuest to a Gloranthan RPG and creating a new name for what was RQ6 to de-link it from people's associations with Glorantha. The problem for the latter would be building up brand recognition, of course, as Mongoose are no doubt finding with Legend.

I hope that they keep a setting-neutral version of the rules available in print. I also hope that the merger doesn't introduce all of Chaosium's problems into Runequest. Runequest 6 is nearly perfect as a low fantasy rule set. I don't want it ruined by Glorantha, ducks, or any of the myriad of terrible ideas that Chaosium put into Call of Cthulhu 7ed.
I agree - it would have been nice to see Chaosium climb out of the hole it's in before pulling other companies along with it. Although this thread has been largely about RuneQuest that is the shortest side of the triangle of CoC, HQ and RQ, and unless CoC 7e is a success everything else is moot.

Last edited:

Lemurion

Validated User

I don't think that's been made explicit by The Design Mechanism so we can't assume a setting-neutral version of RQ6 is a given, although I agree that would be the best way of minimising the disruption caused by the change. I see the benefits of re-assigning the name RuneQuest to a Gloranthan RPG and creating a new name for what was RQ6 to de-link it from people's associations with Glorantha. The problem for the latter would be building up brand recognition, of course, as Mongoose are no doubt finding with Legend.

I agree - it would have been nice to see Chaosium climb out of the hole it's in before pulling other companies along with it. Although this thread has been largely about RuneQuest that is the shortest side of the triangle of CoC, HQ and RQ, and unless CoC 7e is a success everything else is moot.
It would have been wonderful to see Chaosium climb out of the hole first; unfortunately, I don't believe that was possible. I don't think they had the resources to keep going on their own.

soltakss

Simon Phipp - RQ Fogey
Validated User

In the short term there will be people who object, but those who see it as damage inflicted by Avalon Hill will recognise why they're so keen to reunite the game with its original setting.
RQ3 came out 30 years ago! That is ancient history and things have moved on since then. RQ6 is the best iteration of RuneQuest and that is from an ardent RQ3 fan.

Fans of BRP and Magic World have the most to worry about, even though both look as though they will be supported.

RuneQuest fans who don't like Glorantha could well be aggrieved, as a generic game has once again been associated with Glorantha. This comes after several years of claiming "RuneQuest does not have a default setting", "RuneQuest is not tied to Glorantha" and so on.

Personally, I like RuneQuest and I like Glorantha, so it's fine with me. I also buy games as PDFs, so the extra cost involved in buying yet another version (not edition) of RuneQuest is less for me.

soltakss

Simon Phipp - RQ Fogey
Validated User

Legend would then become almost a non-Glorantha RuneQuest, even though it is not a version of RuneQuest.

I wouldn't have a problem with that, as I buy Legend and RuneQuest material and use them interchangeably.

Darran

No 'e' s in my name!
Validated User

Simply because years ago Chaosium lost control over RuneQuest and were forced to split it from the setting it was created for; they're leaping at the chance to undo that damage.

In the short term there will be people who object, but those who see it as damage inflicted by Avalon Hill will recognise why they're so keen to reunite the game with its original setting.
It was Chaosium who split Glorantha from RuneQuest in 1984, not Avalon Hill. It was the designers choice to do it that way when they made the partnership deal.
You can blame Avalon Hill for the poor artwork, production values, layout, graphic design, and the poor binding on the flimsy books but the actual content was from the Chaosium writers and designers.

eggdropsoap

Cosmic Egg
Validated User

It was Chaosium who split Glorantha from RuneQuest in 1984, not Avalon Hill. It was the designers choice to do it that way when they made the partnership deal.
You can blame Avalon Hill for the poor artwork, production values, layout, graphic design, and the poor binding on the flimsy books but the actual content was from the Chaosium writers and designers.
As I understand it, the intention was to keep Glorantha and RuneQuest together, but while Chaosium gave Avalon Hill a free hand with RuneQuest itself, they licensed Glorantha more tightly so they could require approval of the material. It was Avalon Hill that turned around and created an alternate generic setting to dodge that license requirement. So Chaosium unwittingly created the situation that motivated AH's decision, but it was AH's decision to split RuneQuest and Glorantha. As I understand it too, Chaosium was not pleased with this, but for licensing and financial reasons, couldn't/wouldn't revoke the licenses. The best they could do was turn their back on AH and hope to pull RuneQuest back some day. (Eventually they did, but by then Stafford was gone, IIRC, so they farmed it back out. It seems natural that now Stafford's back, he's finally executing on that ambition to reunite them, born in the mid 80s when AH disappointed him.)

Baulderstone

Validated User

Of all the sites where this is being discussed, he manages to hit one I don't have an account with. :)

Oh well. There are already good suggestions in there.

Top Bottom