• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Moon Design Joins Chaosium Ownership Group

AJ the Ronin

I am Loki
Validated User
Re: Moon Design Takes Over Chaosium

Funny how this things work:

Runequest fans aren't happy with the Runequest-Golanthara merge.

Magic World fan aren't happy with Runequest becoming Chaosium's "flagship" fantasy game.

BRP fans aren't happy with the game taking a backseat to Runequest.

Not sure where the Golanthara fans feel about the whole thing (although they have their encyclopedic size books to use with whatever system they want).

I'm thorn because on one side I'm happy to have Runequest-Golanthara back but sad about BRP going to the background.

Last edited:

Paul Watson

Validated User

I do own it and like what I see. I was hoping the company would be able to publish more material for it.
Agreed, and I was quite happy so see that they'll continue to do so.

Heimdallsgothi

Bifrost's Guardian
Validated User

I loved RQ6, and I'm pretty sad it's only being supported for another year. It was a great run, I think TDM did wonders restoring the Runequest brand, and I think Glorantha will be a detriment to the game overall.
It's already pretty niche, without the weirdness of Glorantha weighing it down.

Bilharzia

Validated User

Funny how this things work:

Runequest fans aren't happy with the Runequest-Golanthara merge.

Magic World fan aren't happy with Runequest becoming Chaosium's "flagship" fantasy game.

BRP fans aren't happy with the game taking a backseat to Runequest.

Not sure where the Golanthara fans feel about the whole thing (although they have their encyclopedic size books to use with whatever system they want).

I'm thorn because on one side I'm happy to have Runequest-Golanthara back but sad about BRP going to the background.

Whoa! I'm not sure any of that is true. For one, plenty of RQ fans I'm sure are happy that RQ and Glorantha are closely tied together as they once were. As long as the system keeps going with support for other settings I can't see this being a negative. There are a few people expressing angst about the Glorantha association but it's not as if these people kept quiet about their dislike for the Lozenge before this merge. What happens to BRP & Magic World isn't clear.

I look forward to your setting book of Golanthara, is it a bronze age Assyrian setting?

Jae

Retired User

I loved RQ6, and I'm pretty sad it's only being supported for another year. It was a great run, I think TDM did wonders restoring the Runequest brand, and I think Glorantha will be a detriment to the game overall. It's already pretty niche, without the weirdness of Glorantha weighing it down.
Totally agree. I much prefer the idea of Runequest remaining setting neutral (especially in light of the rumours of BRP being discontinued) with options to buy Glorantha and non-Gloranthan setting material. RQ6 has gained a lot of respect in the industry and given a lot of credibility back to the game and it seems crazy to muddy the waters again. I won't be buying a Gloranthan version, even if the great talents of Lolz and nash are behind it.

Raleel

Validated User

I loved RQ6, and I'm pretty sad it's only being supported for another year. It was a great run, I think TDM did wonders restoring the Runequest brand, and I think Glorantha will be a detriment to the game overall.
It's already pretty niche, without the weirdness of Glorantha weighing it down.
That's not really quite what was said. They are going to keep putting out other books that are RQ based, but the RQ6 book will go out of print. It'll become the RQ book, presumably with more Glorantha infused.

They've said it'll be the same system. I presume it'll be RQ6+AiG and you (and myself, quite frankly) can ignore the RQ specific stuff. Perhaps they'll put out the default RQ6 setting as it's own material.

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User

I do own it and like what I see. I was hoping the company would be able to publish more material for it.
Um… they are going to be able to publish more material for it:

The Design Mechanism as a company will continue. Chaosium and Design Mechanism have signed a new contract whereby we can continue to write, produce and distribute our own RuneQuest supplements, and can continue to support the lines we have already started to develop.

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User

I loved RQ6, and I'm pretty sad it's only being supported for another year. It was a great run, I think TDM did wonders restoring the Runequest brand...
Um… DM will be supporting RQ with non-Glorantha material well past another year. And the Chaosium version of RQ will be compatible with RQ6 (i.e., the same underlying system).

I don't quite understand why so many people are misunderstanding what is happening with RQ. :confused:

Ciciro

The New Guy
Validated User

Just because they are making Runequest Glorantha doesn't mean they will stop supporting non-Glorantha Runequest. This isn't exactly the first time Moon Design has developed some like that.

Darran

No 'e' s in my name!
Validated User

So a seventh edition of RuneQuest not sure how I feel about that!:confused:

Top Bottom