MoonHunter Sayeth 20170612

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Today's post is going to break up all the sequence of massive posts that are in the works.

1) Thank you all who are regularly reading this blog and the few that have subscribed. My count is that there are 22 of you. I expect more over time, but that is what I can determine for now. If any of you have a question or something you want me to write about, comment on this blog post or PM me.

2) I am planning on going over
Creating a Campaign the MoonHunter Way
Creating a Story Arc the MoonHunter Way (which include plot braiding)
Planning a Session The MoonHunter Way (which also include plot braiding)
Running a Session The MoonHunter Way
Creating a Setting The MoonHunter Way
*Creating a Character The MoonHunter Way

Chunks of these have been posted here and other places. I want to go over them, refine them and give them to all of you.

3) This blog was originally supposed to be a collection of short bullet point tips each post. Those are coming. Really. They are. The document I had so many of them in was corrupted. So I have to go back to the source documents and start the reedit process. I expect to have a bunch of those between these big blog sequences and then continuing on as they come into sequence.

4) So, earlier today I was giving some GM advice in an off hand way. In a less formal approach to point 3,

Short Prep: Steps and techniques you can take to make your prep time shorter.

Short Prep: Re-Use - Campaigns continue on the same game worlds. There is a good chance that people and things you encountered previously will be something you run into again. Re-using things not only makes it easier, as you don't have work out everything, it will help give your campaign a set of continuity that the left overs of that band of thugs you took out in session 6, makes a comeback against you in session 24 when you are back in that neighborhood again.

Short Prep: Recycle - Once you have a set of game mechanics for something in your game, keep re-using them. Modify it slightly if you need to, but you have already done the bulk of the work and you know "about how well" it works in the game. Those fast speeder you used one week could be used again and again.

Short Prep: Reskin - To reduce the monotomy of your campaign, recycle mechanics by reskinning them. Different descriptions for the same set of game mechanics makes something appear brand new to the players. So those bandits that did so well with 55% attack and d8 swords and all that, just became these new cool bear monsters with 55% and d8 claws and all that.

Sort Prep: Recycle and Reskin NPCs: NPCs can be very different from each other, even if they are mechanically the same. Feel free to use what you have already used (or use it as the foundation), add a new personality trait and a quirk, and boom you just created someone new (who is just happens to be mechanically similar. ) Rename some skills or tweak mechanics if you must.

Short Prep: Recycle and Reskin Maps: There are a lot of buildings out there in your games. This process works well for them. What was once a dining area in a fast food place can be a coffee shop or a section of a library. One bank could be another bank, just change the descriptions.

Short Prep: Danger Zone: You know the most dangerous things in most chronicles? Player characters. Use their character sheets from a while back (before their last big round of improvements). Reskin them, remove any unique items (add something else to them), and you will have a set of NPCs that will give the PCs a run for their money.

Short Prep: Lots of work on your chronicle early on will free up more time when setting up each session - so you can concentrate on plots and cool details to add to the session. Instead of building opponents, grab you previously made creations, tweak them mechanically if needed, set up new descriptions for them, and save yourself 20-30 minutes.

Short Prep: Foundation - When running a chronicle do most of your heavy lifting creatively and mechanically early on. This means you will create a number of sets of game mechanics for opponents, animals, and so on. You will work out their skin, their descriptions and such. At the same time figure out ways you can tweak them and reskin then. So you can build one tough animal for one planned encounter, you can figure a reskinned version for another possible encounter later (or stuff it in a dungeon and add scales and longer reach).

Short Prep: Foundation II: Figure out some ways you can tweak the sets of game mechanics you make to improve them (or make them less effective). Put those in your GM notes where you keep that character. This way you can use the work you have already done and add to it to keep the opposition fresh and challanging to the characters.

Short Prep: Foundation III - When running a chronicle, it will save you time and effort later if you make some generic opponents with some flairs or variations. Create a really strong minion, a really fast minion, a really skilled minion, the minion who specializes in ranged weapons, the minion that uses exotic weapons, the stealthy minion and so on. When you have an encounter, you can put two strong, one fast, one exotic Guards in your notes. You pull out your mechanics, skin them as appropriate (Guards, Bandits, Goblins, what ever), and use them.

Short Prep: Character Blocks: When using a point build game, build your generic type characters with some unspent points. Build a couple of blocks that spend those points along given lines. Thus you can create characters of a generic type by slapping on a block to the generic characters. If you need something special, create a block to meet that need.

Cut and paste the notes that work best for you.

Top Bottom