• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

MoonHunter Sayeth 20170622

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Creating a Chronicle The MoonHunter Way

1..... 6
7) Second Bit collection / Plot Bit collection
8) Formalizing Story Arc work – story boarding -
9) Finish the Chronicle Packet
10) Prep Work This may be done simultaneous with packet polishing
11) Create your GM Gear (GM pad, etc)
12) Prep the first session or three (one adventure)
12b) Every Sessions/ Adventure Prep (as needed)
-) Maintain the Chronicle:
Like Character Creation, Chronicle Creation never ends.

9) Finish the Chronicle Packet
A great deal has happened since Step 5. Character have been created. New elements of the setting have been generated because of the character’s needs, bits, and the story arcs. Now everything that been added or changed needs to be noted in the character packet. It is time to finish up the packet, adding everything else that is needed (and now you have some time to do). Remember to apply some proper format and headers, because people are going to need those to read them easily.

AND MAKE A TABLE OF CONTENTS

You will make a soft copy, but you will need hard copies. At least two, one for the players and the other for the GM’s journal.

Note: Keep a list of everything you change (by section) since the players first see the chronicle packet. Give the players the change sheet, so they can look up anything that might impact their character. Not letting players know things have changed is akin to just not telling them anything or lying to them.

10) Prep Work This may be done simultaneous with packet polishing

This starts now and should continue on for the first month of the chronicle. This is creating the NPCs, Opposition, game mechanics for certain things like ships, skimmers, bolters, etc.

I do this most nights in this first month/ part of the chronicle. It is when I am the most excited about the game. I start with things that are key to the game. Then I start in on the templates for recycling/ Grab and go pieces. To be honest, I get more mileage out of those than anything else. Then I work in on the upcoming NPCs, Locations, Organizations, and so on. My maps are all flowcharts and zones, but you may need to make those.

After I finish the things and npcs that are key to the game, I will usually move on to step 11… then come back to this again and again while I am excited about the chronicle.

11) Create your GM’s Journal or Kit
Create your GM’s Journal or what ever working tools that work for you. The Journal/ Kit is what you need at the table to run the chronicle. What I do for a Journal/ Kit is found here. It seems excessive, but once I have it in place, I have everything I need for dozens of game sessions.

Remember, to add any prep work you do to the Journal. You might need to update and reset the Journal every few weeks if you have been very busy or once every key story arc is completed.

12) Prepare the first session (or three) – that first adventure
This is the planning for that first session and that first semi-contained story – an adventure. As a GM, this is your time to shine: pull out all the tricks, all your story telling skills, think as big as possible, and wow! your! players! This is your chance to hook them on your chronicle, so don't let the opportunity slip by. You need to figure out how to (ideally):
*Quick introduction to the setting and chronicle.
*Introduce the bad guys
*Getting the initial groupings together.
*Get everyone’s kicker – motivational piece – into play
*Some attention grabbing event that gets the players attention.

Simple right? Okay, I see your expression there. As this is the first session, you will have more to prep, but more time to do it. Play around with all the possible scenes, change the orders, see what makes you go “cool”. (Think about the first 25% of a movie or a first episode of a show… this is what you are shooting for), This first adventure/ semi-contained stories occurs just at or before the first core story arc scene. There are many things that are “not quite in an arc”, often scene 0 (a pre scene) of the story arc in this introductory session/ adventure. So you can Create a Session the MoonHunter Way or any way you want. Just make it the best you can.

12b) Prepare the next session (or three)
This is a very optional stage in the process. You can do some preliminary work as to how you will want to put together game sessions for the next six months, but you never know what will take too long, where someone will make a left turn and go off the track, or who isn’t going to be there for the session. These are best to prepare the day of/ night before. Of course you can do all the work for Stage 10. However, planning a few sessions ahead gives you a foundation to work from should things change and lets you concentrate on the little things and perfect tweaks instead of big things required.

-) Maintain the Chronicle
Like Character Creation, Chronicle Creation never ends. This small tidbit is a revelation to many GMs. By keeping track of and approving how players are spending their advancements, there are fewer surprises and headaches for the GM and the Troupe down the line. The GM can keep things in an expected range, make sure that everyone is unique and has minimal overlap, prevents the build up of power spiral and create character breadth by currating the choices.

A good GM keep track of things as they go, then once every few months (or at the end of any important story arc - a natural break point-) , they should review the character completely... including their story arcs.

Since I advocate story arcs being attached to the characters at creation, I consider them part of character creation and maintenance. I review the character’s story arcs. I prune the arcs that are not working (that I can) and add new arcs. I sometimes adjust the scenes in the story arcs that are staying to fit the new chronicle and the new conditions.

Character Maintenance like this is an important part of Chronicle Maintenance as The Characters are the Stars of the Show. Keeping them looking good and everything about them relevant helps The Chronicle to shine.

Chronicle Maintenance is much like Character Maintenance in terms of process.

Chronicles advance and develop over time. In short, things change and story arcs need evaluations. So spend some time to review your GM Journal/ Kit, check out the characters and their story arcs, update your prep work.

The BIG thing is to make sure that anything you have added (DIP) and everything you are going to change is consistant with the Summary of the Chronicle . If that summary is going to change, you need to talk about it with the players first.

Before I get too deep into maintenance, I have a player meeting. Every 3-4 months or when an important plotline ends/ changes, I talk with the players. I check the ratings of my Chronicle with my players. They are the chronicle's primary audience, so they need to be enjoying the chronicle. This player's meeting can be formal or informal, usually as a group but sometimes as individual interviews. It can be finished all at once or with follow up.

The Key Points that need to be addressed.

0) As the GM, talk about the Chronicle and where you see it going and where we are "in the core plot".

1) Ask each player what they have liked and disliked about the chronicle so far. What has worked for them?

2) Ask each player for any direction their characters want (investigations, things they want to try, and any other plot bits they want to try.)

3) Ask each player for 0-5 Bits to add to the chronicle if possible. This can include things they would like to see less of.

Does this sort of sound like Creating a Chronicle the MoonHunter way? Well you would be right.

So after the players meeting and the character updates, it is time to intergate everything together.
*See what of the new bits you can add or tweak
*Intergrate all your notes from play into the packet and the journal.
*Evaluate the set pieces for the chronicle.
*Update NPC sheets to make sure they are up to date. Move things to the archive if needed.
*Tweak the Story Arcs.
*Update the Chronicle Packet, adding things (including the chronicle history)
Get a hard or soft copy to the group.
*Reset your GM's Journal/ Kit.

Thus you are ready to go with a highly polished continuing chronicle

Top Bottom