MoonHunter Sayeth 20170628

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Now for something a little different... oh wait.. No not that different at all.

Repeat the Mantra with me:
I master the game, the game does not master me;
step up or step out;
momentum over perfection;
complications more than obstacles;
and no matter what, the game must go on!

Now stop and think about it.

The GM is in charge of the game, not the game rules. While the game rules are things we all consented to play by... sometimes they just don't make sense and get in the way of having fun. The GM is there to ensure that the troupe has fun during play.

Gaming is a group activity. People need to participate... to do their best.. to make the game "go". The GM is the first and foremost player. They need to do their best to make the game go. If they can't do that, perhaps they should step aside for another GM.

Play needs to happen. Nothing kills a game more than a 20 minutes rule check or shuffling through several books to find one bit of setting material. People are just sitting around and being distracted, rather than being part of the game. There is no need for perfection. Come close and keep the game moving.

Complications make things tougher. Obstacles can stop the game. Did we not just think about play needing to happen? When confronted with an obstacle, play stops. Players talk about options. Players get frustrated because they need to do something and they can't. When an obstacle pops up, make sure there are easy to recognize option for them to resolve the obstacle (nobody said they had to be fast or easy, just something to do). Foreshadowing the obstacle a session or two before is a great way to keep obstacles easy. Complications are always good to lay down into a game... it keeps the players thinking about how to get arround them or how to deal with it. So complications can keep things going, while obstacles can stop play.

the game must go on! This one is self evident.

step up or step out;

This has been said in any number of formats and any number of pithy saying. You might have your own mantra, covering things that are important for you and your game. Just remember, help make the game better.

step up or step out;

Top Bottom