• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

MoonHunter Sayeth 20170710

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Some Quote for Gaming

It seems to me that we have a lot of stories yet to tell.
Walt Disney

No matter what we do, no matter how many genres or sub genres we delve in, there will always be more stories to tell that will engage the gamers.

Rules are not sacred, principals are.
Roosevelt Franklin

The specific rules are not what are important. Those are details that may or may not be needed at a given time. It is the principle behind the rules, those are what all your rulings should be based on.

"While it's true that certain methods have been developed that are better than what was available before, I'm of the opinion that our games are more like music. What was good in the 70's is still good today, even if most people's tastes are now different. Games don't grow obsolete any more than songs do."
by Sage Genesis from Silver Shamrock's footer

You will find the game that fill fits you and your troupe. It does not have to be new, nor does it have to be old. It just has to work for you.

Not every game is for every player, and not every player is for every game.
From a couple of rpg.net footers

Not everyone has to play or like a given game. And remember the style and needs (including comfort of play) of a player may not be met by a specific game.

"When I open my eyes in the morning I am not confronted by the world, but by a million possible worlds."
Colin Wilson

So where is the nearest 101? …..

Any thoughts or additions?

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Do not forget the other pages.

This post was spawned from creative despirations. I managed to pull these quotes up from my notes and wrangle them into a somewhat coherent idea. These words inspire me and shape my thoughts. How do they work for any of you?

Last edited:

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Fiction about people who make sound, reasonable choices would be incredibly boring"
Katherine Henry

The same rule is about RPGs. It makes for a boring game. There needs to be risk or downright denial of the situation/ laws of probability to make an exciting story or game. Players need to have goals and are willing to risk to complete those goals. If the players just respond to threats and take the safe routes, then the villians are the interesting characters and the story should follow them.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
"The Secret to Creativity is knowing to hide your source"
Albert Einstein

This is why GMs and Writers need to be constantly reading and watching. They need to feed their brain, their subconscious with new and interesting inputs. Eventually the subconscious makes some connections which defy logic, but once they come out... and you think about them.. they are magnificent. So look at things and try to take a new approach... see what rattles out of your mind. You may be very happy you did.

"The Intellect has little to do on the road to discovery. There comes a leap in consciousness, call it Intuition or what you will. The Solution comes to you and you don't know how or why."
Albert Einstein

This is related to the above. You are waiting for that little blip. Once you have it, then you can figure out how to use it.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality?"
Westworld

Every ask why you are playing with this game system? Is this game system a good fit, i.e. does it do everything we need without a problem? Are there other systems that might work better? Do we know them?

or

Ever ask why the chronicle is going this way or that? Talk with your fellow players and the GM, find out why.

Last edited:

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well-run RPGs are not democracies. They are dictatorships. Benevolent, thoughtful dictatorships, but dictatorships nonetheless. GMs, you owe it to your players to consider their input, but not necessarily to act on it.
Sig line of Lord Darkview

While player input is important, to satisfy one player you might have to annoy one or more others. Plus, one centeral editorial vision helps make sure the chronicle feels like a continuous consistant storyline.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Art is never finished, only abandoned.
Leonardo da Vinci

We will keep tinkering with game stuff until it is perfect. It could be a setting, a scenario, a character, or a gaming blog post. It is Art. We can only do so much. This leads to the Mona Lisa Rule. (Inspired by da Vinci).

The Mona Lisa Rule: Spend only as much time on a world, map, scenario, or NPC as the amount of play time and enjoyment it will allow. Two years of planning for six hours of game play is not a good investment in time and effort. So invest a few hours into the game setting you are going to be in for a few hundred hours of gaming fun.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Adventure happens when Something goes wrong.
Murphy or Scott Fitzpatrick

Good games have complications... nothing goes smooth.. and unforeseen or less likely challenge has to happen to make it exciting. It has to be interesting, it has to make sense, and it can not feel like you are just screwing with the players. It is just a way to ratchet up the drama.

I remember the original Mission Impossible. It embodied this. They had this awesome plan with cool elements. They were all so slick that they were going to pull it off. Then something happens... something goes wrong. All of a sudden you are engaged, you are worried, and you are asking yourself, "will they pull it off?" Yes, you know they will... but in the moment... you are not sure.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game.
Michael Jordan

Don't stop to think about how "well you are doing". Don't think about experience points. Don't think about the chronicle (during play). Just play. Have Fun. Enjoy it.

Paperwork and thinking about/ working on the chronicle should all be done out of play time.

Last edited:

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
All games with players in them become alternate histories at best or inspired fantasies at worst.

No timeline can survive the impact of player characters. Especially if they are anywhere near historical figures, places, or events

Scott MoonHunter Fitzpatrick

The purpose of this quip is to alleviate stress from the GM. GMs are often striving for historical accuracy in historical chronicles. By reminding them that "the universe is not that way", they can concentrate on the fun and the style of the chronicle rather than putting up artificial barriers to character actions or pushing the players around.

Last edited:
Top Bottom