• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

MoonHunter Sayeth 20170714

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Terms, small epiphany, and an apology.

Blogging is not always easy. Especially when technical issues occurs. I apologize for missing my last scheduled post.

When writing, sometimes when you can not make any progress on a project, you need to put it away for a while and come back to it laster. When I need to do that, I follow my favorite path. I put the problem project in the drawer and go write something interesting... like a novel chapter or yet another setting project. I plotted two and wrote one novel chapters. I solved a mushy middle issue for the novel. (The setting for this is the Silver Coast setting found in 101 setting riffs thread).

When I came back to the blog project I was working on, I had a small epiphany. The Story Arc piece was just too large. The outline was too conveluted and self referencing. It required too many huge walls of description. I didn't feel too bad about that, there are entire books on the subject. It just took me a while to realize how to handle it. I need to break it down into two or three pieces. The first piece will be Creating a Scene The MoonHunter Way. Then the second piece will be Creating a Story Arc The MoonHunter Way. There is an option for a third one to bridge these two, but I hope to do it in two.

So, there is a hope for seeing it done soon.

You will also notice that I use a slightly different vocabulary. I always use Chronicle rather than Campaign - trying to avoid the military/ war game vocabulary. I like using Story Arcs for all story related things... including adventures. Storylines that are going to be one shots or resolved in one session, I tend to call those scenarios. (I have a story map for key events and elements for the event/ scenario.)

A chronicle is the combination of the setting and core story arc. A setting is the setting the game is played in. A framework expresses what the character group should be and how they are grouped together. The Core story arc is the central story line for the Chronicle - what most people call their campaign. The central story arc is a rope of storylines, following the antagonists central actions, the players/protagonists responses, and others character's responses to the actions of the antagonists an protagonists.

I think I need to go over this in an entire post. Something new for the slate. Do any of you have any comments on this subject?

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I can not believe I missed this one

PC: Protagonist Character - the "hero" of the story arc/ or at least the one that the game's emergent story generally follows. (Often one of the main POV character).

NPC: Non-Protagonist Character - these are all those other characters in the game's emergent story. Some are antagonists, others are here as tools of the story or as color.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like Troupe for a group of players as it harkens back to us being a band of entertainers, whom just happen to be entertaining ourselves.

Gamers is the community or our identity. A group of gamers who get together to game is a troupe. The troupe gathers around The Table. Even if it is not a physical table or physical room we gather in, our digital place to game is our table... be it with IM or virtual table top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom