MoonHunter Sayeth 20170808

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Masterpiece in Process - proceed with caution

What I wanted to write was not coming out with any economy. It was going to have to be broken down into three pieces and have a lot of repetition. It is all the same process I use, but described in a way that does not require an intuitive view of the process. I am going to start with the bricks, the atoms, of story telling and gaming: The Scene. I am then going to show how you use them in each level of gaming. The Chronicle Level, the Session Level, and the Table Level.

Story Arcs and Scene Use the MoonHunter way

A) Fundamental - Scene
1) Definition of a Scene (for a game)
2) Terms for Scenes (for a game)
Include Story Line, Story Path, and Story Arc.
3) Purpose of a scene
4) Parts of a scene

B) Scenes for Story Arcs and Plotlines
0) Aside: There is no one way to do anything. Everyone has their own attitudes and strengths that they should play to. This is how I do it, loosely plotting the game. Some people go with more detail and other go with vaguer notes. No matter where you are in the plotter vs pantser spectrum, Story Arcs and plotlines built by scenes is how authors and GMs should be planning out their novels and games. It allows the most effective pre-work on the chronicle/ novel with the least amount of rework during play. Let me show you how I do it.
1) Story Arc/ Story Line/ Plot Points
2) Story Scenes over the Story Arc
3) Story Arc Intro, Response, The Attack, Resolution
3a) (Act I) Introduction
Episode 0 (in story/ character background, in preplay, or in flashback) or done in play.
Sets the situation up and what
3b) (Act II) responses- reaction t the first set of challenges (bad guys on offense, now that you have set them off) (Pinch point about halfway through… make it hard)
3c) (Act II) attack. Players have gathered info and resolve, stopped initial offense by bad guys. Now they are honing in (Pinch point about halfway through… make it hard)
3d) (Act III) Resolution.
Are you locked to this? Well yes and no. Adamant for the Core Story Arc. Others… You can string these.
4) Story Line: Milestones
(Opening, Hooking Moment, Set up, first Plot Point (introduces the primary conflict) – start of 2, first pinch (middle 2 – reminds us of how dangerous the opposition is), The mid point - (information ends/ Resolution starts), second pinch (mid 3 – opposition), second plot point (last pieces to information- dial in to climax) start of , Climax.
5) Building the Storyline How complex – from 3 scenes to 9 to three dozen.
One scene for intro, second to when action happens, three to conclusion
6) Padding and Expanding or contracting
7) Mechanically Creating a Story Arc: {letter code) drives/ goal, scenes, logical order, and possible branches

C) Scenes for Session
1) Purpose of Scenes in a Session
1a) Moves the Big Story Arc along/ Move lesser arc along
1b) Give someone something to do.
1c) Spotlighting a character
-- Eligible scenes are based on what has happened before, triggering events, or locations.
2) Scenes eligible from the Main Story Arc – the big one
3) Scenes eligible from Character (Main or Character
4) Scenes eligible from location, NPCs, or Antagonist
Remember that cut scenes are here to entertain the players.
Look at options, See what can be merged. Create Story Path.
5) Plot Braiding: mixing them together where you can. Sometimes you do this ahead of time
Look at the maps, look at chronology, look at the relationship map. Together they can mix things together.
6) Story Paths
6a) Think about a television show – an action adventure one… it gives you a good template to work from.
6b) Story Arc of sorts. There needs to be some kind of conclusion for the session … hopefully near the end.

D) Scene In Play

This is where we go cinematic and story teller.
1) Review -
1a) Purpose of scene -
1b) mechanics that might come up.
2) How to start a scene – late
2a) Description of the scene, the current action.
2b) Stage Direction / Starting Action
3) Resolve the scene
4) End a scene before the totally resolves
5) Cut Scene
6) Flashback (more description, more stage direction, less rolling) Also for dreams.
7) Thought Bubbles/ character narration

Top Bottom