• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

MoonHunter Sayeth 20170901

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Today's blog was called on account of three things.

1) Record Setting Temperatures - Took out the internet until the temps dropped back to the high 80s (from the 106)

2) The quest for food after the work. Nobody wanted go eat, it was so hot.

3) Pacificon http://www.pacificongameexpo.com/
Pacificon Origins way back in 1981 was my first convention. That pretty much established the Convention Experience for me. Pacificon is one of two local conventions I try and attend each year. (The other is Dundracon.) I tend to run my con chronicle these two cons (and maybe, if I am lucky more). My current chronicle is Firefly. It used to be Bureau 13, but I needed a brake from that chronicle.

Pacificon is also the first convention I took my two boys last year. So we are renewing some time. My computer gamer discovered big board games/ war games (and a couple of near games). My D&D player discovered he liked 5th edition as well. So positive game experiences.

We are going tomorrow, so it is equipment gathering, book collection, planning and so on.

Sunday, both kids are doing some service - so one day only this con. Still, it is better than no day at the con.

So, as a good gaming parent I am planning on taking them to our FLGS (with their own disposable income) soon and our newly discovered FLComicS. Baby steps I know. Still they need to find their own path to geekdom (if that is the way they want to go). I started them down the Star Trek path, but videos conspired to make the Star Wars friendly.... Then they went total Hoovians. You can help and give them opportunities, but they need to find their own path.

BMonroe

Validated User
I haven't been to Pacificon in 20+ years. I'd love to get back there some day, but it never seems to work out.

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
One day pass is not so bad. If you are not doing anything interesting, go do something interesting. Just remember, Pacificon is all about the Wargames, Boardgames, and Pathfinder/D&D (and this year StarFinder).

We went. We played some stuff. It was cooler inside there than it was anywhere else. We really need to stay overnight. On they way home, My kids did the the FLGS, picking up things that they could not get at the Convention (but were kinda looking for). The comic shop was closed, we will go to the Monkey Shop another day.... when it is cooler.

Top Bottom