• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

MoonHunter Sayeth 20171013

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Brave passengers board last ever Flight 666 to HEL on Friday the 13th

Last call for Demons going home. At least go home the easy way. There is always The Colt Peacemaker.

It is a real flight. Really, I am creative, but even I can not make up stuff like this. here, here, and here. The Real World is a lot more random than than anything we can make up. (Except maybe for Ken Hite, he is just crazy.)

I was told by a wise person, that The difference between reality and fiction is that fiction has to make sense.

Successful fiction needs to make sense anyways.

Successful games that satisfy players need to make sense too.

There needs to be a narrative. There needs to be rules that are followed. The characters need to be fleshed out and consistant. Things need a reason to be (a beginning) and an ending (a clear ending - conclusive would be nice, but not required), and steps in between that make logical sense and build up obsticles and provide ways to overcome them.

If you want to ensure the game is successful: add to this things the players find "fun to do", things the characters can engage and care about, and a pace that brings rewarding experiences on a regular (and frequent) basis.

Those have equivalents in successful fiction as well.

When you are planning a chronicle or a session (or just are just winging it), you need to keep these concepts in your mind (in front or the back, either way... I don't care as long as they are being used). This way you can make a session or chronicle that works and hits all the points of a great game.

Atrox

Excellency
Validated User
Do note that "makes sense" does not necessarily equate to "is rational".

If you establish a good reason for a particular instance of irrationality, that can actually enhance the sense of realism. History is replete with actual examples.

Like this list of various exclaves and enclaves, most of which exist for obscure historical reasons.

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It was implied.

In many cases some of the things are only odd or OOP if you are unaware of the history before that point.

This is about the truly divergent.

The less rational reasons - like the oddness of someone sending the entire army's battle plans in a gift cigar box to an enemy general by accident - strains credibility. It is the straining of credibility that this piece speaks about.

Things, in a story, need supporting evidence or ideals in the narrative. Without it, it seems artificial and contrived. Nobody wants to seem artificial and contrived.

Top Bottom