• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

MoonHunter Sayeth 20171211

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Today's post is brought to you by a cranky internet fairy that obviously wants something from Tiffany's rather than a fairy ball or a bowl of milk. So I grabbed a cool supers setting.

Setting: Iron World

It started in the late 60s. The first set of Iron was invented by a military weapons genius who had been captured and forced to build a weapon for a warlord. The first suit was used for somewhat altruistic purposes to make the world a better place. Eventually bits and pieces of Iron Tech (which were still Iron and Steel at this time) were reverse engineered, or taken from stolen plans (usually for replacement parts or upgrades). Soon there were Irons on both sides of the law with different suits and abilities. The espionage agencies of the time began to use Iron Tech for their weapons, equipment, and eventually Irons of their own. The original creators and most of the Iron Engineers never patented their tech to keep it out of the hands of others. THis did not work in the end. When if finally filtered out, they had no legal recourse. They tried to destroy the factories and inventory, but it did not stop all of it. It took 25 years, but the military finally got its hand on the tech.

Full Irons are so expensive and crafted to the wearer that they are one offs. (The military had a few Irons in its arsenal, usually adopted from either corporate sponsored or ex-espionage units).

Half Irons became the military's main option. They had many of an Iron's abilities, but at a lower power level. However at the cost of 1/20th of a full iron (once in production), they could field a real army of Irons. This made most military tech obsolete, as even Half Irons are incredible powerful. (Military weapons with Iron tech) Within the year of implementation, other nato and non nato governments all had several units of Half Irons (as they all had one or two Irons). It is 2010. People have their jet boots, their flying cars, and there are several space stations (built by space going Irons).

You are unlike other people. You have Iron in your blood.

There are dozens of chronicles you can create with this setting. It is most light power suits against light power suits, some with very specialized themes. There are some other "heroes" here, but mostly they are skilled normals or have one tiny power. The Iron Heroes pretty much overshadow everyone else.

The Default Campaign? There are still criminals. They somehow get full iron. You are a cop. You are part of the specialty unit. You only have a half iron, but you wear it well. Your unit will take them down.

You could be a full iron acting vigilante to be a more classic comic game.

You could be a merc for hire.

Spies vs Spies, mostly be sneaking and subtle, but then pulling out Iron Gear when they need it.

Then you could have a military chronicle, with half irons against enemies.

This chronicle illuminates some points about super hero chronicle.

When you are creating a supers chronicle, you have a couple of options in making a more stylized chronicle.

1) Tailoring the Past - this requires you to make that detailed background that is so hard with a four color comics chronicle. There is usually, just so much to pack into your setting to make it feel like a comic company setting.

2) Tailor the setting - This is usually just a city/ location in most supers games. You can bump it up by making the setting more interesting. Your setting is "a character" in the chronicle, make sure it is interesting. What is more fun, generic city or in New Orleans? You get more history or depth. Change the setting to an undersea city or around the world or something interesting and you get more options by having more focus. Your setting should get some billing in your chronicle.

3) Tailor the framework - By tightly controlling what the PCs are, the GM can tell certain stories really well. Most Supers Frameworks are "you all live in this area". That is not really solid framework, but very workable. Try a more controlled one. All Mutants could lead to commentary on racism. All aquatic beings means we have aquatic stories about pollution, piracy, undersea life, and so on. All Micro Heroes means you will be dealing with threats that only your game could do. Pick what you want and find a framework.

4) Tailor the powers - By defining what powers are available, a unique flavor can be given to the chronicle. It can be what makes the series special. All psionics games or all Irons games play very differently than a game with a hodgepodge of powers. You can get a very specific feel by choosing the power options.

Now apply all four... you can make a great chronicles that is unique, clear in its storytelling, with plenty of chrome and hooks and history, that fits the GM's vision on what will be played.

This is what this setting provides. It gives you power. It still gives you a ton of options. Yet, allows you to control the possible stories (so no occult stories, no gods, and so on ..).

We have a quiet and familiar starting point (Tales of Suspense 39) with the serial numbers filed off. We ignore most of the Marvel setting (you might have a shrinking power suit required... a powered robot rampages... no gods... no hidden cultures.. no mutants... four space explorer/ adventurers use the cool tech instead of powers, no spiderman (unless it is a tiny suit made). Normal people with skills/ abilities that meet human maximum iare possible. So players will nod to the familiar bits.

Now Many Games give a bonus for using a foci, this helps characters have more powers or be more powerful. Thus we have Irons and Iron tech which really stands out and overshadows other powers.

Power Suits are the only way to have full powers. Mostly we have beams and electrical weapons, some light armor, flight, and maybe some other toys. Each suit will probably have a specialty.

There is some vague history of various powered heroes against various powers villains. Add some industrial espionage and some straight espionage (LMDs might be an option).

I like the vague in a history, so I can add what ever I need. Players can add their elements (Oh I want to be a Legacy Hero, the suit passed down to me.) I want to have a big bad guy who is my nemesis that can plow through his minions. I want an aquatic specialty suit, that I salvaged from a lost hero of the 80s.

Again, I like taking bits that my players want to see in the chronicle. That way you should create a framework for the history with a few key events that have to happen. This gives you a solid foundation, but flexibility.

This chronicle gives good example.

Top Bottom