MoonHunter Sayeth 20180110

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Bits for Players Part I

I tend to do nothing but GM advice. So I thought I should give some thought to players. I am running behind because of lack of web access - thus lack of research checks. So here is the First Bits for Player....

Point to Ponder
:
  • GMs are just the first player - a players with editorial control. The other players do everything a GM does, just on a smaller scale. Just think about that for a while.

Bright Rules:
  • Your job as a player is to help every player be as awesome as possible.
  • Your job as a player is to help the game go.
  • Your job as a player is to be the best player you can be.
  • Keep in mind that this is a game, not a life-and-death matter; the goal is to have casual fun, not to have the most powerful character around or to follow the rules to the letter.

Respect the Game:
  • Show up on time.
  • Show up with what you need.
  • Ignore your distraction (phone/ computer/ comic books).
  • Learn the rules. Play the game to the best of your abilities.
  • Try not to fall asleep during the game.

Respect your fellow players:
  • Don't monopolize the GM's time or the table time.
  • Share the spotlight with everyone.
  • Be interested in the game and the people you are gaming with.
  • Work with your fellow players to make the game work.
  • Your job as a player is that everyone has fun including the GM. If "playing your character" will get in the way of that, think about a different character.
  • And the classic, "Don't be a dick"

Your character is your tool
  • Build 3/4th your character's background, that way you can add in things you encounter in game.
  • Attach your character to the world - be part of the setting, the organizations, the history.
  • Have goals with concrete steps that you can achieve.
  • Work with the other players to form a coherent group of characters. Find reasons to work with them and to be part of a team
  • Know the rules that apply to your character (and page number)
  • Be pro-active with your character

In Play
  • Don't whine.
  • Don't cheat.
  • Accept Referee (or DM/GM or Judge) rulings during the game.

Invest some time in the game:
  • The GM has spent a few hours on your game session, the least you can do is spend a few minutes to prepare for the game, plan on what you want to do, and polishing up game.

Work it out
  • Talk to the GM about what you want out of the game
  • Talk to other players about what you want out of the game
  • Communicate your expectations and any problems you have in a productive and undramatic way.

There we go. That is a solid list. To be honest, I seldom get a chance to play. I have to really think about what a player wants. I thought about what made it all work for my players.

Let me think about this some more, read some threads, and talk to some people. Then I can put out a better list in part II or part III.

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
While searching for something else, I found this

The advice from Mike Carr's forward to the 1st Ed. AD&D's Players Handbook:

This inspired today's post.

1) Be an organized player; have the necessary information on your character readily at hand and available to the Dungeon Master.

2) Cooperate with the Dungeon Master and respect his decisions; if you disagree, present your viewpoint with deference to his position as game moderator. Be prepared to accept his decision as final and remember that not everything in the game will always go your way!

3) Cooperate with the other players and respect their right to participate. Encourage new and novice players by making suggestions and allowing them to make decisions on courses of action rather than dictating their responses.

4) If you are unable to participate in an adventure, give the other players and the DM some concrete guidelines if your character is going to be included in the adventuring group; be prepared to accept the consequences, good or bad, in any case.

5) Get in the spirit of the game, and use your persona to play with a special personality all its own. Interact with the other player characters and non-player characters to give the game campaign a unique flavor and "life". Above all, let yourself go, and enjoy!

Pretty good advice, especially considering that was written in June of 1978, just 3 years after OD&D was first published.

Top Bottom