• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

MoonHunter Sayeth 20180228

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Magic of 3x5 Cards - Flash Cards

Cue Cards are prepared short bits for a chronicle that can be used in a number of ways. Traditionally they are kept on 3x5 cards, but they can easily be computer files on a database app, or text documents, or text documents printed, cut out, and pasted onto the 3x5 cards. The size in many ways is important. To be effective the cue card need to be short, concise, and easy to use.

MoonHunter uses "cue cards" for many things in his gaming. It is one of Core Things to Know. There are many ways to use them depending on your style of gaming.

CUE CARDS
  • Voice Cards:
  • Character Cards:
  • Action Cards:
  • Gear Cards:
  • Spell/Power Cards:
  • Technique Cards:
  • Visual Cards:
  • Random Trait Deck:
  • Scene Cards:
More Ways to use Cards
  • Character Sheets:
  • Casting Cards:
  • Minion/ Monster Cards:
  • Monster pool :
  • Random Encounter Pile:
  • Equipment Cards/ Treasure Cards:
  • List Cards:
  • Dice Cards:
  • Initiative Order:
  • Tactic Cards:
  • Action/ Note Card:
  • Manual Mind Mapping:
  • Data Maps: Location Maps, Plot Maps, Time Map, Character/ Relationship Map
  • Plot Maps
  • Event Cards:
  • Chapter Cards:
  • History Process:
  • Setting Cards

Here is my Wisdom:
Now keep in mind, that while may of the ways to use cards require tangible 3x5 cards, I am not always using them. Yes, I do scribble a note or two during game. Most of the time, I tend restrict my note format to that size. I do this on my computer, using pages with a 4.5 column with 2.75" second column in 10 lines of text blocks. I print them out and stick them to a 3x5 card or print them directly on stock). This size restriction keeps brevity first and foremost in your mind.
It seems I was a bit wrong. I should be using physical cards and reviewing them regularly again. Here is post based on an article originally in INC Magazine Online, that explains why I remember old game material, while I have forgotten some of the new.
--- -0- ---​
If you're struggling to master a complex topic like a game setting or game rules or anything else that seems to strain your brain, Michael Nielsen, a scientist and researcher has a suggestion for you: Try flashcards. It seems there was something behind all those note cards and study cards your teachers made you do in school. And now there is science to back it up. In fact, corporate and tech types are doing it now.

Nielsen says he first started memorizing flash cards two years ago. Since then, he's memorized more than 9,000 flashcards, reviewing them while doing things like standing in line for coffee or riding in transit. He says he spends a total of about 20 minutes a day reviewing flashcards. (There are flashcard apps you can use, so you are not lugging the cards around... but physical cards have uses.)

Nielsen says he's used flashcards to build up his understanding of complex topics such as AlphaGo, reading the same paper multiple times, pulling out bits of learning to memorize on flashcards each time through, until he had absorbed the whole thing. He used a similar method to memorize the contents of a (short) book. (Most Game Systems are a short books, when separated from the setting material (and the setting is a short book when separated from the rules)). He also uses the same technique to remember places he likes in neighborhoods he doesn't visit often. Once he's learned something using flashcards, he never forgets it, he says.

Nielsen has a simple rule: If learning something could save him five minutes in the future, then he'll put whatever it is onto flashcards because it takes less than five minutes total to learn things this way. "The expected lifetime review time is less than five minutes, i.e., it takes < 5 minutes to learn something...forever." This rule may or may not be useful for gamers for game material, but this process can help GM's remember and use the material they have prepared.

Now why does this work? Nielsen give three reasons backed up by data.

1. Spaced repetition
Research has long shown that we absorb information better when it's repeated, but only when we have time to rest and reflect between study times. Repetition helps you retain what you've learned, and spacing out that repetition gives your brain time to absorb it. It's a powerful combination that can help you learn and retain almost any kind of information.

(This is often why we think better after we took that quick break.)

2. Active recall
The best flashcards have a question on one side and the answer on the other (or concealed within the app). When you look at the question, you make a mental effort to remember the answer before you turn over the card and look. That effort to search your own memory banks for the issue is called active recall, and it's better for learning than if you were simply reading text or picking answers in a multiple-choice quiz.

3. Metacognition
Metacognition is the act of thinking about thinking. It contributes to better recall, research shows. When you use flashcards and check your answers, you're constantly asking yourself how close your answer came to the answer on the flashcard, and whether you really knew the answer or took a lucky guess. All this wondering how you did is a form of metacognition and it will help the things you learned stay deeply embedded in your memory. And it's one more reason you should consider using flashcards for everything you've ever struggled to learn.
--- -0- ---​
So I have listed a number of types of cards that can be flash cards in addition to their basic uses. With this new data, I think there are a couple more card types we can add.

Rules Cards: When you are learning a new system or mastering an old one, going over the rules multiple times helps you learn. By making actual flashcards, you can engage your brain, learning the rules quicker and easier. "How do you calculate OCV (4th Ed)" // "DEX/3 Rounding up plus any maneuvers plus any skill levels appropriate to the action. This plus 11 is your combat roll."

Setting Cards: A well written setting should be easy to bullet point. A poorly written one can be converted into bullet points after you sort things. The process of making the cards is part of the learning process, as it organizes the material in your mind.

Character Review: The Important Points - roleplay and mechanics - of a character can be put on a card. You can learn the character well enough you won't need the cards.
--- -0- ---​
Use the magic of the flashy 3x5 card to improve your game experience

Now put that on a card and review it frequently.

--- -0- ---​
Appendix:
So, I was going to just going to search up a few flashcard apps that will pull information from your GM Database or Documents to help you make faster flashcards. I am not satisfied with what I have found so far... so this section is on hold.

At this point, I am thinking that printing things in the 3x5 format (as listed in my card based blog posts above) and mount them on cards... manually making the card... is the best way. Still going to hunt for more.

You can cut and paste things from your game card document into the flashcard program that works for you and your phone and use them that way. Or you can just make some cards and review those.

Ankidroid is a great program.

Here is a summary of flashcard programs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flashcard_software

Some other information
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-flash-card-apps-for-android-compared-which-is-the-best/
https://lifehacker.com/8-flashcard-apps-to-make-your-study-session-less-analog-1796882400

Top Bottom