• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

MoonHunter Sayeth 20180602

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
George R. R. Martin Sayeth
Love or hate the man (after his last set of books), he is a skilled and gifted writer. From Wild Cards on, he has written some very memorable characters. So I found this quote and needed to share.

Tangled Knots​
Your characters are strikingly multifaceted. What's your best advice for crafting characters?

One of the big things that distinguishes the strongest fiction from writing that's perhaps without depth is a real understanding of what real human beings are like. From my point of view, I don't see heroes and villains; I see very flawed human beings. All of us have good in us; all of us have evil in us. All of us are capable of acts of heroism, acts of selfishness, cowardice, or what we might call villainy. We all have reasons for what we do. You don't just have people who wake up in the morning and say, "What evil things can I do today because I'm Mr. Evil?" People do things for what they think are justified reasons. Everybody is the hero of their own story, and you have to keep that in mind. If you read a lot of history, as I do, even the worst and most monstrous people thought they were the good guys. Were's all tangled knots.

Wow. Powerful information. It just takes a learned increased awareness and characters (protagonist, antagonist, major, or minor) can become more complex and more interesting. This is more than, "everyone thinks they are the hero of their own story". I like to keep this movie quote in mind, There are no good guys. There are no bad guys. There are just guy... you know?

So not quite a full blog post... so I am printing it on an off day.

Top Bottom