MoonHunter Sayeth 20180928

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Tempus neminem manet”
Time waits for no one.

Actually what I am complaining about is time stopping. Time should never wait on anyone, not a player, not a GM.

Let me explain... (you know that was coming, just like you wisely figured out that this was a small rant).
Recently I ran into two example being mentioned. It was not the first time I had encountered moments like this, but they accompanied comments that riled me up...

1) GM makes a detailed history. It was complex, interactive, and included all the countries. It was full of intrigue, passion, history, and random events that made it seem real. There were pages and pages of it. Normally, I find these pointless wastes of time, but this was well crafted and well thought out. It went to the game year 2842 then stopped. The chronicle year was 2847.
Someone asked a post or so later, "What happened in the last few years of the chronicle". "Not much," the GM replied. "The characters are the most important people of the world and they have been dungeoning."

2) I was reading in the same thread, about how the GM has this very basic history where little happened. It was the fairytale kind where nothing really bad ever happened to people. The chronicle started. Within that first year of play, the lands (he called them something else) were awashed with blood, war, and so on. The GM was asked how it happened. " It is a campaign about war, so it is at war. The characters are over here avoiding the price on their head."

If you have been gaming for any length of time, you might have encountered similar things. Things that stop or start for no reason.

In the first example, the GM believed strongly, and I would say too strongly, in the adage, "The Game is the Player Characters Story. They are the most important thing in it." Since his players were not involved in the politics or The March of Time, nothing else happened. This beautiful setting, that was running like a clock with all its complicated moving parts, stopped.

In the second example, the GM didn't agree with the adage. He had a story in mind about war (and seemingly the glories of), while his player were not part of it... or were reacting to it.

The First GM could have kept the history of his world going on, as the world does not just stop. It would have been going on in the background while his players dungeoneered. If the players encountered something they were interested in, they could "gotten involved" in the events of the day. (In truth, I would of set up the chronicle framework where the protagonist characters were entangled in some of this history. They might have dungeoned some, but it would have been to serve other needs/ goals. )

The Second GM could have told those war stories, but could have set up a history growing ripe for a war long overdue. His(?) players would have known what is going on and would have made choices appropriately. (I would of made the character framework "new recruits for the army", but that is me.)

I also don't think the players knew anything about the chronicle backgrounds. I also think that they had different games in mind that the GM did. Two conjectures on my part, but it seems that the player characters were not in synch with the setting or the chronicle.

These are troupes/ play groups who could of benefits from building a chronicle the MoonHunter Way. The 7Cs (Consistency, Connection, Chrome, and Cycle, Conflict, Control, and Continuity) might have been just enough to help. They could of built chronicles with matching setting, the players would have known what was going on, and they would have known that the game could of continued on several stages - even if the protagonist characters are not there.

My rant is that time always go on... even when we don't want it to. History should continue to the present. The present (or future) should be rooted in the past. Seasons change (weather is important to peoples' lives). Things happen. We, the heroes of our story, may not be directly involved... but they could affect us.

Top Bottom