• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Mordhau caters to the toxic.

Silvercat Moonpaw

Quadruped Transhuman
Validated User
I remember hearing a story of a woman who lead the defense of a castle. When she was, like, 80.

(I'd need someone else to confirm some specifics.)

JoanieSappho

Not drunk enough for this
Validated User
I can''t think of the specific instance mentioned, but women defending castles was definitely a thing that happened. The example I think of first would be Dunbar Castle and Black Agnes, but it was absolutely a thing that happened a bunch.
Admittedly, that particular example being the first to come to mind is probably due to the Horrible Histories bit on it, which was quite amusing.

Edit: Ninjas have been following me around today, it seems.

Gussick

Validated User
Now I want to see one of these mass melee games where, between waves, you have to take part in a courtesy/feasting mini-game. And if you fumble all that stuff then you lose all the points you gained during combat and have to go out armed with just dagger or something, while the person with the most poise has a charger and a lance and full armor.
LOL that's awesome. But not all that far off the mark. Your status was won as much at table and court as on the battlefield. Moreso really. Not to say they weren't exceptionally lethal when they needed to be. Even going back to the "dark ages" when men were real men etc. the sagas are full of incidents where perceived social slights or insults could spark serious conflicts.

Black Flag

Dweller on the Threshold
Validated User
As for prominent women, it's the wrong region, but Mohammad's senior wife was a successful merchant. (And before they got married, he worked for her.)
And his youngest wife, in the civil war that erupted between various branches of his family after his death, led her faction in battle atop a camel.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
What was the name of the woman (who was possibly Italian), whose sons were killed in battle, and then when her city was beseiged and she was confronted by this, responded by saying "I have the equipment to make more sons!" (and possibly hiking up her skirts in the process)?

(This story may have been apocryphal.)

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
And his youngest wife, in the civil war that erupted between various branches of his family after his death, led her faction in battle atop a camel.
Just to chime in because she’s one of my favorite figures in Islamic history - Aisha was also a prominent political leader during and after Prophet Muhammad’s (peace be upon him) lifetime, known for giving fiery public speeches that started wars and ended them, in addition to being arguably the most important scholar in Islamic sunni tradition: a significant portion of what sunni muslims know about Prophet Muhammad’s (pbuh) teachings, conduct and daily life are directly attributable to Aisha’s recordings of them.

Kiiratam

RPGnet Member
Validated User
What was the name of the woman (who was possibly Italian), whose sons were killed in battle, and then when her city was beseiged and she was confronted by this, responded by saying "I have the equipment to make more sons!" (and possibly hiking up her skirts in the process)?

(This story may have been apocryphal.)
Caterina Sforza. It's a popular take, though. William Marshall's father supposedly did the same thing.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
Now I want to see one of these mass melee games where, between waves, you have to take part in a courtesy/feasting mini-game. And if you fumble all that stuff then you lose all the points you gained during combat and have to go out armed with just dagger or something, while the person with the most poise has a charger and a lance and full armor.
This would fit perfectly into Mount & Blade.

DocShoveller

Godwin's Lawman
Validated User
I can''t think of the specific instance mentioned, but women defending castles was definitely a thing that happened. The example I think of first would be Dunbar Castle and Black Agnes, but it was absolutely a thing that happened a bunch.
Admittedly, that particular example being the first to come to mind is probably due to the Horrible Histories bit on it, which was quite amusing.

Edit: Ninjas have been following me around today, it seems.
Another example:

Top Bottom