• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

More songs currently lodged in Ghostwise's brain

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
Once upon a time there was a thread. It was a beautiful thread, with beautiful dresses and beautiful long dreadlocks and beautifully engraved flintlocks. But alas, the changes in media embeds make it mostly unusable.

So we shall move on, like the stoic buffalo who just broke his skateboard yet sheds no tears.

-----

What vaguely reminded me of the old thread was stumbling upon an excellent performance of my favourite song by the Jezabels, a recording of which had been mentioned in the previous thread. So Hurt Me live in 2013, by some talented young people.

Noisy-ish, intense, somewhat weird, indie Oz rock. This tune is especially notable for its relentless drums lines. And for the mystery of how Hayley manages to sing without any alteration whilst completely bent forward. Maybe she's so tiny she doesn't need to breathe.

Bonus :
Helpful, bald man on YouTube shows how to play the drums parts on this song without dying :

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
Also, one one of my fav Sleigh Bells songs has been stuck in me noggin' lately. It's called Infinity guitars, which is a good title.

It's... low-fi, non-commercial, cheaply-made garage rock with a trashy sound. I guess you can think of a mix between the White Stripes, Bérurier Noir and the main riot grrl bands of the 1990s. Well, if you know about Bérurier Noir, which isn't entirely likely.

So anyway, they're just doing their own thing.

Last edited:

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
And lastly for today, something for old people !

A cover of the remixed version of Moloko's Sing It Back, a famed classic from the 1990s. Trying your hand at that cover requires a certain testicular fortitude, especially since the vocals *will* be compared to Roisin's.

But this version just works. It starts strong, and there's this wonderful moment toward 1:40 of "oh wait, we're slaying it. Cool.".

Vocals by the young Asta (from Tasmania). Bass, keyboards, one third of the drums and deplorable fashion sense by Cosmo's Midnight (from Sydney).

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
Oh well.

The last of the great Japanese rockerboys, Tomoyasu Hotei, playing one of my favourites -- Medusa -- live with great backing musicians.

Badass, heroic, high-level hard rock guitar playing the musical equivalent of an epic super-hero action scene.

The drummer is Zach Alford, which is kinda funny if... you're a complete nerd... Mr. Alford worked a lot with David Bowie during the late stages of Bowie' career. And Hotei became famous with big-time Japanese rock band Boøwy during the 1980s.

So anyway. Big sound. Big guitar. Masterful composition.

Last edited:

bhu

Professional Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Holy Christ, someone besides me is a Sleigh Bells fan!!!

bhu

Professional Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd always hoped to meet one someday. Alas, the local population in my town only listens to country and hip-hop that makes top 40 radio play.

Heck, they don't even recognize names I would think would be common (Warren Zevon comes to mind).

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
Well, to spread The Word a lil' bit, another Sleigh Bells favourite. It got stuck in me brain back when I was working on an involved Black Canary character writeup, which ain't published yet.

Live performance of "Demons" in 2013. They hire a second guitarist when live, but still run with their faithful drum machine. The sound is okay, though the band is low-fi anyway. The crowd is so-so, but heh it's New York City. They can't play baseball either.

It's not a bad acid test. People who think that the SHREDDING GUITARS AND THEN BOOM BOOM FUCK YEAH intro is awesome will love Sleigh Bells, the others can carry on. :cool:

Last edited:

Ghostwise

Mort aux cons
Validated User
Can't work while now (the hosting filer for my site was apparently abducted by alien space bats), so whilst I'm on a forced break...

I suppose you could classify Jeanne Added as "gloomy indie rock" or somesuch. But trying to pin her down is like stapling jello.

There are David Bowie influences, jazz influences, the use of moody layers of electronica (do people still say "IDM" ?), the themes about anger and identity, the slightly off English giving it a curious vibe for the three persons who listen to the lyrics...

I guess she's just looking for her own thing.

Last edited:

salinea

grievous lack of
Validated User
Very much like the Jezabels and Jeanne Added songs (and i didn't know the artists before, need to find out more)

Top Bottom